Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47337 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #240 on: May 12, 2010, 07:50:03 pm »

Military and losing the nobles screen once my expedition leader dies. Makes a fort very vulnerable to kobold attack.

Reload the game and you'll get your noble screen back.
No, you won't. It won't come back until a mayor is elected.

Which will never happen thanks to there not being an expedition leader. :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 12, 2010, 08:14:25 pm »

Military and losing the nobles screen once my expedition leader dies. Makes a fort very vulnerable to kobold attack.

Reload the game and you'll get your noble screen back.
No, you won't. It won't come back until a mayor is elected.

Which will never happen thanks to there not being an expedition leader. :D
It will happen, since mayors are elected.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 12, 2010, 08:44:15 pm »

Once you hit the pop requirement, a myor will be elected and the problem will go away.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

derekiv

• Bay Watcher
  • The smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 12, 2010, 09:31:46 pm »

Once you hit the pop requirement, a myor will be elected and the problem will go away.
But it brings a new one. My fort had FOUR mayors all making demands. At least one them like doors.  :-\

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:41 pm »

What. I have abondoned so many forts because I thought they were unrecoverable.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:31 pm »

I already hit the pop requirement in my fort. Two years, and no mayor.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 14, 2010, 06:58:33 am »

True: the stat gain bug kind of depresses me too. What I did in my own game is add the cheat from the wiki to eliminate stat gain, which looks like this:

[MENT_ATT_RATES:SOCIAL_AWARENESS:200:NONE:NONE:NONE]

Did you mean "eliminate stat decay"? Anyway, none of those MENT_ATT (and PHYS_ATT) lines work when added to creature_standard.txt. Your dwarves will still lose stats (and skills) all the same, it doesn't matter what numbers you put there. Even after world regen. Write down (or memorize) a single dwarf's stats from the profile, let a year or two pass in the game and do a comparison. You'll see the difference. The dwarf's worse than ever.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 07:46:52 am by albatross »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 16, 2010, 08:29:02 am »

I already hit the pop requirement in my fort. Two years, and no mayor.
You can make expedition leader electable and the problem will go away. There's another one, that you will get multiple expedition leaders, but it works.

And yeah, you were just unlucky, I usually have a mayor elected and positions are restored.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2010, 09:58:25 am »

Amazing great game...

But because i have 160 dwarfs, 70 pets (that i cant get rid of?!), im at a horrible 8 fps and is hardly playable.
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2010, 10:37:32 am »

Framerates are pretty bad in this version. I've decided to cheat and use [SPEED:0] until the 40d merge is complete. Nothing would ever get done otherwise. Now I don't have to wait days of real time for big tasks to finish.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2010, 11:01:41 am »

So, with all due respect, I don't mean this to be rude because I'm honestly curious; but is toady concentrating on the linux and mac builds of an essentially broken build, before he fixes the extremely serious problems? I doubt the demographic of those people is very big compared to the windows players waiting to just have a playable game!
I expected him to work the serious bugs out before swapping the code over, as the other OS's will also have them! even windows players are still using 40d to avoid them!

Also is that what he means by 'the merge?' he lost me with that post :(

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2010, 11:13:48 am »

Getting the Mac and Linux builds out, with the 40d merge is still phase one of the rollout. Phase two is repairing the major bugs. Once it's available on all platforms, he can fix bugs for all three at the same time. He's also said he's fixing some bugs as he goes. So you can expect a few bugs to be already worked out and improved frame rates when the 40d merge is done. There's something for everyone. It's not like Windows users aren't going to benefit from this next release too.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 16, 2010, 11:14:30 am »

Hi!

I found it confusing a little bit as well.

The merge was about the graphic engine used in 40d# which supposedly gives a speed boost and is also a core part of the linux/mac port. It was not integrated in the 31.xx versions because they were worked on while the 40d# experiments were starting/run.

However, you should not be too disheartened about him working on the ports. First of all, the ports mean that the merge is complete/nearly complete, which allegedly brings you a speed boost on Windows (I have not tested the 40d# series myself, so I can't confirm that).

Secondly, even before he moved to doing the merge, he fixed some of the most horrid bugs like the lack of fish and the melting rain.

So, even if you don't hear any big news before the next release, there are already some important bug fixes that are in 31.04.

So, I think you should not be too worried about all this.

Deathworks (who has to admit that he has been very lucky as for bugs with this version)

jryan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 16, 2010, 11:59:56 am »

So, with all due respect, I don't mean this to be rude because I'm honestly curious; but is toady concentrating on the linux and mac builds of an essentially broken build, before he fixes the extremely serious problems? I doubt the demographic of those people is very big compared to the windows players waiting to just have a playable game!
I expected him to work the serious bugs out before swapping the code over, as the other OS's will also have them! even windows players are still using 40d to avoid them!

Also is that what he means by 'the merge?' he lost me with that post :(

It's called an alpha release, you see.  If you want you can sit on your hands and wait another few years for the final release of the game.

Maxxeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 16, 2010, 12:31:21 pm »

Edited my post because I missed some responses:

OK thanks guys, that clears thing up a bit. I understand what he's doing now! I didn't realise he was working on bugs simultaneously!
I just thought he was porting and nothing else. I also didn't realise he would be releasing an update for windows at the same time, so that's cool!

your explanation of the merge helps too deathworks! I thought it was just the named for the porting process, but now I understand more what going on! thanks :)

I know that Jryan. I'm not being impatient, saying 'why isn't the game perfect NOW?!'

I wondered why valuable coding time is being spent on porting the game, when if it had been spent on fixes like the speedy release of  31.03, he would have probably completed the medical and military bugs by now!

I knew he's doing it because this is a stepping stone build that everyone can play until the next one. I just wondered why he didn't fix this build before porting it, because it would be more valuable. now he has to fix 3 games at once!

But now I know.. and knowing is half the battle!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 12:42:43 pm by Maxxeh »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 21