Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47339 times)

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #210 on: May 02, 2010, 03:02:55 am »

The military system makes my military leader stand around doing nothing all day, instead of mining or something useful.

Bastard.

Also, the lag from the clown college underneath my fortress, and the bloated wealth value of the fort because of it.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 02, 2010, 04:01:55 am »

Having to be careful and remove mining skill from expedition leader on embark, lest another mining designation accident results in a highly inconvenient death and broker/militarycommander/manger/bookkeeper/med dwarf. Mostly because I forget to remove all the important jobs and give them to some other hapless idiot before the expedition leader dies of one reason or another....
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 02, 2010, 03:37:10 pm »

While the undead fortress under my fort that murdered my FPS was annoying, it wasn't as bad as the military screen that caused my fort to crash whenever I tried to pull up the screen.   :(
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 02, 2010, 03:40:22 pm »

I can't draft people off their breaks.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 02, 2010, 03:44:34 pm »

The biggest frustration is, that i can not play native 40d now.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Ultimate Carl

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
    • Ultimate Carl's Ultimate Corner
« Reply #215 on: May 02, 2010, 10:54:16 pm »

Even in 31.03, both my military and hospital are useless.  In three different forts my military refuses to actually train, my commander doesn't do any work even when not training, they all ignore my kill orders, and it takes half an ingame year for the arsenal dwarf to okay anything.  Yes I've followed the tutorials, read up, and tried burrows/etc.

No matter how many supplies or how skilled or how many doctors I have, they just continually dress wounds, which does nothing, and then repeat ad nauseum without gaining any skills.  So my full-time doctor plus the three dwarves in the hospital with cut toes are permanently useless and just leeching my supplies/beds.

So in other words, I have to trap my forts and make sure none of my dwarves ever get remotely close to combat, and anyone that takes even a minor injury I would be better off to kill immediately. :/
...Eh?

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 02, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »

Poisons have been the bane of my existence. I spend years equipping and training a great military with high quality weapons and they'll all die after one encounter with a Forgotten Beast's poisonous blood/spittle/dust. I do love the idea of poisons but when a single beast can kill dozens of dwarfs with a single cloud of poison gas, maybe that's just a little too "fun". Especially if the beast is one of the extra fun ones who can't be killed because they have a body made of an invincible material.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 02, 2010, 11:33:34 pm »

The fact my auxiliaries won't fire their crossbows. I went and made a pit full of gobs just for them, too.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 02, 2010, 11:55:48 pm »

Almost everything is bugged to death, the military and hospital are worthless.

And the nobles screen keeps disappearing, you can't designate an arsenal dwarf (no matter how little it matters with their uselessness)  if nobles don't show up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 09, 2010, 06:45:57 pm »

#1 Inconsistent hotkeys. Depending on the situation, scrolling down happens either with + or arrow down, and next page appears either with * or Page Down. In fact, the menus should be redesigned from scratch. The "custom stockpile" menu is the worst. That's where I hit the wrong keys all the time.
#2 Lack of item information. I would love to know the uses of various ores and metals without looking up that stuff online. The "view information" is mostly useless.
#3 Lack of decent save system. Like, multiple saves (at least 3 instead of 1), ability to continue your game right after saving without having to load, no rendering your saves useless in case your fortress fails... the obvious stuff. All this can be circumvented so easily but it's such a drag.
#4 The adventurer mode. It could be so damn awesome...
#5 Vermin remains. Just... make them go away.

As for odd dwarf behavior, I think much of it can be explained with each individual dwarf's personality. Some of them have a sense of duty and they're just not going to stop some thirst or hunger get in the way. They complain, but they see it fit to do their jobs. I would love to be able to tell them that "Hey, go ahead, there's plenty of food and beer, knock yourself out. You can do your job better afterwards! That's what you want, isn't it?"

Adding new features instead of correcting existing flaws,  it's just the sad way of the 21st century, when it comes to software. Also, complex game is complex. Things are bound to get annoying at some point. DF is really detailed, if not too much at that. There's a lot of work to be done with Dwarf Fortress.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 06:48:15 pm by albatross »

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 09, 2010, 07:07:00 pm »

The military.  By and large, I've had the hospital work well, even things like cleaning with soap; improved butchery and fat rendering make it much, much easier to keep a steady supply on hand.  However, it's really irritating to be unable to deal with a simple goblin ambush due to the problems with the orders system.

So, basically, I'll wait until the next set of fixes before returning to DF 2010, or alternatively turn ambushes off (I can deal with the FBs et. al., but goblins are difficult because of the order system).
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 09, 2010, 07:41:22 pm »

The lack of wheelbarrows.  I have to use [SPEED:1] to get any decent speed for my haulers.  Also, I would like to be able to make ramps in sandy areas.  Someone mentioned letting their hard-working dwarves rest, I would like to set up meal, rest, work, and social hours for my fortress.

ReverseWill

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs cigarettes to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 09, 2010, 08:17:11 pm »

The military. A million times the military. I'd like the new customizations you can do if they weren't so buggy. As it stands, I prefer the simpler system used in 40d. I'll still play 0.31, but I pretty much rely on traps and what-have-you.
Just because that tamed alligator killed someone earlier doesn't mean it wouldn't make a great pet now.

tastypaste

• Bay Watcher
  • "It's delicious!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 09, 2010, 09:11:23 pm »

The lack of wheelbarrows.  I have to use [SPEED:1] to get any decent speed for my haulers.  Also, I would like to be able to make ramps in sandy areas.  Someone mentioned letting their hard-working dwarves rest, I would like to set up meal, rest, work, and social hours for my fortress.

You can construct ramps rather than digging them out. [C] [r] and just make the ramp from stone. It's a little more annoying than digging it, but at least it works which is the important thing.
Denethor cancels stewardship:  Went Insane.
Denethor went berserk!

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 09, 2010, 10:42:32 pm »

The military is up there, it pretty borked at the moment.

The main cause of my anger though, expedition leader has been killed = abandon. I mean seriously, as soon as that little guy kicks it your buggered.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21