Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47298 times)

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2010, 11:24:52 pm »

Combat.
I have 2 wrestlers wrestling a troglodyte. They're winning, but it's not dying. It's in my primary stairwell on the same level as this small room I mined for stone. The stairs are bloody(except the center, which is vomity) and all my dwarves are trapped in that room, canceling clean; interrupted by troglodyte.
EDIT: One of the wrestlers was a woodcutter, who was carrying an axe. I recruited him and told him to use an axe and he dropped the axe and ran after it. Also, a swordsdwarf is fighting without a sword. X(

EDIT: Two nearby woodcutters were recruited and they killed it! :D
However, there are a bunch more trogs coming my way. :\
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 11:29:49 pm by Jack_Bread »

Urist the Dwarven Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • !!!FIGHTING SPIRIT!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2010, 01:06:17 pm »

Path Finding! Hands down is the worst.  I'm the type that HAS to build a super structure of some sort so I can't get one thing done with path finding the way it is.  The other stuff ain't that bad in my opinion. Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!
Super creatures and the immortal undead are problems but thats what we got magma for!

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2010, 01:14:10 pm »

Dumbass military, My fort has lost about 10 guys because one of them whent to get a dead antman arm for the refuse stockpile, he got raped, then ten guys go after all the different bodeis and body parts. Theyre all getting stabbed to death because the Kill order just transforms them into recruit or wrestler and nothing else, theyre just sitting there. Fucking A.
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 09, 2010, 01:23:01 pm »

Dumbass military, My fort has lost about 10 guys because one of them whent to get a dead antman arm for the refuse stockpile, he got raped, then ten guys go after all the different bodeis and body parts. Theyre all getting stabbed to death because the Kill order just transforms them into recruit or wrestler and nothing else, theyre just sitting there. Fucking A.

Burrows help enormously here.

Keolah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 09, 2010, 01:26:26 pm »

Getting annoyed at my military constantly dropping and picking up their equipment. And pathfinding. "Let's all hang out at the wall closest to what we're supposed to be killing!"
There's no use crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of *cat tallow roast*.

blinking icons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2010, 08:27:42 am »

Well the good news..for me  ;D..is that one third of the complaints here I never encountered, including any pathfinding, crashes and bronze colossi, one third can be easily fixed if you know where the - mostly long established -  settings are, and one third i can live with, like occasional mass quantum dumping/forbidding of remains. Heck, I'm even back to 'dwarves gather refuse from outside', so manageable is it.

Most annoying to me is that military outright refuses to use any bolts while my hunters actually do. Bowmen gobbos are a major pain that way and I love building castles and watch towers and that's just useless now.

To be constructive, here are a few workarounds i use:

*Shifting military from move here orders (s-a-m) or whatever else  back to training alert(the second one) or the inactive alert(first) (m-a-cursors-enter) and the other way round, usually makes them grab food and drink in between. Backpacks, flasks and using the m-u settings also helps.

*muddying isn't really that hard, detailed easy how-tos are set up on the wiki

*If you are lost, don't bother too much with alerts and schedules, use the (s)quad menu mostly - easy and works (one exception: at schedule tab, you have to reduce the number of required dwarfs training from 10 to a low number like half your actual squad to reduce the thirsty issue. (m-s-e- +/- - shift+enter). Copy that to every month too! (c-p)

*try out burrows - rather intuitive and works!

*slow FPS: Smaller world, smaller fortress site; a good 3x3 embark isn't hard to find, temperature off, weather off (who wants acid rain?) partial print yes in init.txt, limit number of dwarves (yes, some of those are really just bad workarounds..)

*Use an unmodded game for now (prevents many reported crashes). I love maydays, but i actually got back into 'normal graphics' real fast.

*soldier weapon selection is a bit iffy, but hey, was it ever different? detailed checking and dumping wrong ones from (v-i menu) works. Don't trust those sneaky green checks on m-menu

*Talith said it: Designate over z-levels: Use the mouse, and click where you want the designation, then while still holding down the mouse button, go down however many layers you want, and release the mouse button.

*you can, you know, simply remove dwarves from squads

*all the changes in channeling can be easily worked around. Be a little creative! Generally you either first dig then channel from above or channel first then remove ramps. For moats just seal it off with a wall afterwards. Channeling is now easy and safe!

*set o-F all to forbid - no more civilians running into battle to collect *pig tail sock*

*shells and bones go to a body-part-only refuse stockpile. Situation is not optimal, but dumping from the refuse piles what you don't want there is not too much hassle.

*You can change any key, like ESC back to space, from the options/save menu; ESC - key bindings - scroll down to 6th item 'leave screen' press k then space. Save to file by pressing s.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 12:22:52 pm by blinking icons »
The Thresher looks sick!
The Thresher looks even more sick!
The Thresher vomits.

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2010, 09:20:36 am »

The most annoying bug for me is by far the unkillable creatures. Everything else can be dealt with, though the permanent remains are becoming... interesting. My dining hall currently looks somewhat purple.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2010, 09:39:42 am »

Hi!

I have found a new bug I love to hate:
The fact that dwarves will not clean inside aboveground buildings (they clean underground tunnels alright, but will not touch the broom in my aboveground huts).

Besides me usually building surface structures for the flair and for avoiding cave adaptation, I actually wanted to build a little pituresque village in the new version. But because of that bug, I can't build any aboveground structures, as they will inevitably collect pools of blood on every tile sending every visitor on "clean self" bouts (when I first encountered that bug, I had an aboveground dormitory - every dwarf who slept started their new day cleaning themselves).

So, right now I am enjoying the new experience of underground fortresses, but I hope to eventually return to the light of day :) :) :)

Deathworks

Xenoc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2010, 10:01:46 am »

Not a bug, but the sheer quantity of caves.  It's practically impossible to smack a stairway down to the magma levels without having to re-route two or three times around caverns.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2010, 10:08:37 am »

Hi!

Not a bug, but the sheer quantity of caves.  It's practically impossible to smack a stairway down to the magma levels without having to re-route two or three times around caverns.

Generate a world with parameters. In between the detailed parameters, there are several that are concerned with the cavern layers. I am experimenting with them myself, but right now, my fortress is busy with other stuff.

Still, I think you can reduce the hassle on your way to the magma with those options.

Deathworks

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2010, 10:44:39 am »

It's some combination of unkillable megabeasts (you don't even get any warning before they wander in from the edge of the map) and the dirt bug. My dwarves need food, dangit!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2010, 10:46:17 am »

Personally I -like- the fact you can't just make a vertical shaft through a hundred z-levels. Make fortress design much more fun!

Greatest frustration is definitely the military, though that will hopefully be fixed too. Dwarves refuse to use ammo properly (means no hunting too), training doesn't seem to work properly and my dwarves seem to think training weapons are better for killing than iron swords, for some reason.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2010, 10:47:31 am »

I was initially frustrated by this as well.  But then I realized how fun a challenge it was to build a stairway straight down to the core.  It forces you expose yourself to cavern denizens, adapt your architecture skills to random conditions, and potentially deal with "drilling" through lakes.

So many opportunities for "Fun."
At last, she is done.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 15, 2010, 11:26:52 am »

I was initially frustrated by this as well.  But then I realized how fun a challenge it was to build a stairway straight down to the core.  It forces you expose yourself to cavern denizens, adapt your architecture skills to random conditions, and potentially deal with "drilling" through lakes.

So many opportunities for "Fun."

I agree.  It's actually a great way to break up the monotony of a typical fortress.  The days of having a carefully thought out fortress design prior to digging into the rock are over.  Now you're forced to adapt to unexpected changes in the underground terrain.  In my current fortress I actually had to construct makeshift bridges across underground chasms to be able to get to usable rock for both structures and valuable ore.  This is probably the same thing the dwarves of Moria had to deal with.

Laiska

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 15, 2010, 11:31:48 am »

noble screen blackout happening when your expedition leader gets killed bugs me badly. offcourse i could make a leader-burrow and put him there behind walls, alone forever but that doesnt suit my suicidal playstyle very well. "what here? Naked Mole Dogs? cool! kill em." "warm stone? shut up and dig!"
This is a stack of 21 well-prepared creeping eye intestines roast. The ingredients are well-minced prepared creeping eye heart, minced creeping eye meat, minced creeping eye meat and minced prepared creeping eye intestines.

... Could i have some wine with that?
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21