Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21

Author Topic: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?  (Read 47239 times)

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is your biggest frustration in 0.31?
« Reply #150 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:10 pm »

Path finding :( if a dwarf cant go where he wants to go, it lags my fort down.

Wiiking

• Bay Watcher
  • Overproducing plump helmets
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 06, 2010, 01:46:47 pm »

Aquifer. Definitely. I have never had ANY problems with aquifer in the previous versions but for some reason, in this one I just can't get a single fort running.

I have tried so many times, failing every time. No matter where I embark. I never knew that solid rock can be an aquifer. :o

Well... I guess I'll keep trying.  *shrugs*
"He's Wiiking. He can do anything." -Metabie
"What Wiiking did was quite smart." -Dare
"Wiiking hits it right on the nail if you ask me." -Nedstar
"Wiiking is supah powah!" -Shotking

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 06, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »

Try normal worlds instead of island. Island worlds have much more aquifer due to being near the ocean.

My biggest annoyance is the inability to get soap and plaster to work right with a hospital.

Mungrul

• Bay Watcher
  • Shambolic
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 06, 2010, 02:32:21 pm »

Okay, my chagrin has shifted from the military system, which I'm now pretty sure I understand, to indestructible forgotten beasts. Just saved a second game and exited in frustration, as a titan made of spessartine refused to die, even with its arms and mandibles chopped of. Much like the vomit monster that was the downfall of my last fortress, when I finally threw the towel in this beast was little more than a head, a body and 2 footless legs, and yet it was STILL managing to kill dwarves. In fact, that's the only time it was able to land a blow, as the dwarves got so tired after a while, the titan was bound to land some hits.
I hadn't had a chance the finish my magma pump from the magma sea, so killing it with fire wasn't an option. Pumping magma 60 z-levels is not trivial.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 06, 2010, 03:20:36 pm »

Okay, my chagrin has shifted from the military system, which I'm now pretty sure I understand, to indestructible forgotten beasts. Just saved a second game and exited in frustration, as a titan made of spessartine refused to die, even with its arms and mandibles chopped of. Much like the vomit monster that was the downfall of my last fortress, when I finally threw the towel in this beast was little more than a head, a body and 2 footless legs, and yet it was STILL managing to kill dwarves. In fact, that's the only time it was able to land a blow, as the dwarves got so tired after a while, the titan was bound to land some hits.
I hadn't had a chance the finish my magma pump from the magma sea, so killing it with fire wasn't an option. Pumping magma 60 z-levels is not trivial.
While this is definitely frustrating when it happens in an unprepared fort, I think some of the almost unkillable beasts should stay that way. There just need to be a few more ways - like ballistae - of getting rid of them, and maybe they should be discouraged (temporarily driven off to return in a few months). The whole point of this game is supposed to be that losing is fun, and I'm kinda happy to hear that a hundred foot tall bronze animated statue can now wipe out a military of a dozen 4-foot-tall soldiers, or that a demon made of pure puke can't be stopped with a mace.

That said, it's not the way I'd make it yet, right now the undefeatability is actually a bug. Still, I hope we maintain some supertough megabeasts.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2010, 04:11:10 pm »

While this is definitely frustrating when it happens in an unprepared fort, I think some of the almost unkillable beasts should stay that way. There just need to be a few more ways - like ballistae - of getting rid of them, and maybe they should be discouraged (temporarily driven off to return in a few months). The whole point of this game is supposed to be that losing is fun, and I'm kinda happy to hear that a hundred foot tall bronze animated statue can now wipe out a military of a dozen 4-foot-tall soldiers, or that a demon made of pure puke can't be stopped with a mace.

That said, it's not the way I'd make it yet, right now the undefeatability is actually a bug. Still, I hope we maintain some supertough megabeasts.

See, I disagree. They should definitely be tougher than last time, but they should be killable by individual heroes. That's the stuff fantasy is made of, single heroes killing giant beasts.

Now, I know I should set up some siege equipment at the end of a long hallway of traps before breaching the underworld, but that's not nearly as much fun.

Plus, it breaks verisimilitude to be able to chop off somethings arms but not chop it up into little bits and kill it. It's also annoying that you can reduce everything to a smashed mess and they can still attack. That just doesn't make sense.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 06, 2010, 04:39:17 pm »

1) that magma is several dozen z-levels below the surface, well out of range of any reasonable fortress.
2) pumps dont transmit power vertically, making pump stacks more difficult and expensive.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 06, 2010, 05:18:31 pm »

The healthcare bug where they keep performing surgery to no effect. My favorite swordsdwarf was hospitalized for life after cutting his cheek on something (At which point I promptly overreacted and dug down into the amusement park).
I'm having a blast otherwise, though. The first bugfix should be enough to push it from "awesome" to "cancel my appointments, I'm BUSY KILLING ELVES!"
I'm currently finishing up my last 40d fortress, after which I'm probably not going back. :D
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

n00bs4uce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 06, 2010, 05:59:42 pm »

I've seen living creatures remain alive despite having enough injuries to kill them several times over.
It took one of my farmers months to die while gushing blood from his heart and missing several body parts. I think he finally dehydrated.

That's brilliant. He pretty much bled so much it made him die of dehydration.

Far as frustrations go. I had problems with getting used to the alerts and schedules menu. It really seemed round about.
Also, One thing that was just an annoyance was when I had built a floor on an up/down staircase, it didn't simply block the down portion as it it did in 40d but it also removed the up part. That took me a while to realize when I saw 30 job cancels for my mass dumpery.
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

YOU MUST ADD THE ABOVE QUOTE INTO YOUR SIGNATURE, RIGHT NOW.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 06, 2010, 07:12:31 pm »

1) that magma is several dozen z-levels below the surface, well out of range of any reasonable fortress.
2) pumps dont transmit power vertically, making pump stacks more difficult and expensive.

1) is variable. I currently am faced with a 20-z pump stack - not trivial, but not horrible.
2) - are you sure about that? Did you perhaps miss digging out the channels under the impassible tiles? My pump stack is not yet finished, but those that are in place are all reporting 59 power needed, suggesting that the system is properly linked up.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 06, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »

1) is variable. I currently am faced with a 20-z pump stack - not trivial, but not horrible.
2) - are you sure about that? Did you perhaps miss digging out the channels under the impassible tiles? My pump stack is not yet finished, but those that are in place are all reporting 59 power needed, suggesting that the system is properly linked up.

thats just what I've heard. I haven't tried it yet or anything.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:46 pm »

Pump stacks still work. I just tried it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 06, 2010, 08:15:41 pm »

I had to do an extraction job on a recovered fortress and my old fashioned pump stack worked just fine.

As much a pain in the butt as always to build right, plus extra for pathing errors, but it works.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 06, 2010, 08:20:23 pm »

Trying to kill a bronze colossus by night because he settled on a glacier that melts during the day. Go during the day, get five minutes between each action. Not kidding.
Of course, then there's failing to kill said bronze colossus after sending 8 different adventurers to it, the first one shattering (red) every single body part of the colossus. I even tried beating it with a sasquatch corpse. Yes, I was so fed up I was beating a bronze colossus with a dead bigfoot.
And it was DOING MORE DAMAGE. I blew small parts off of him.

Psychoceramics

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 06, 2010, 08:33:43 pm »

Pump stacks still work. I just tried it.

sounds good. i may do it differently though, just because pump stacks are annoying to set up
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21