Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: List of best weapon materials?  (Read 1004 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
List of best weapon materials?
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:02:56 pm »

Is there a concise list of what materials go best for which weapon types for the new version of DF? Also, for armor, is the level of protection afforded roughly the same from the previous versions?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: List of best weapon materials?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:57:15 pm »

Also, for armor, is the level of protection afforded roughly the same from the previous versions?

No... its entirely different actually.

Bronze is ridiculously better than before as both sharp weapons and armor.

If you're making a hammer, you want the heaviest material you can get as I believe hammer damage is determined by weight. Silver hammers are very effective actually, as it no longer just has a 50% damage modifier. Weapon damage is now directly linked to material properties.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: List of best weapon materials?
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:20:55 pm »

For blunt weapons, just go with the heaviest metal you can find for now.

For armor and edged weapons, it's a little more complicated; density still helps, but there's also all that other shear and impact stuff. I think shear yield affects edged damage, and max edge does too but all the metals but Hidden Fun Metal have the same max edge so it doesn't matter much. Lists might have to wait until the effects of those things get figured out better.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.