Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Anyone found any good sites?  (Read 1819 times)

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
Re: Anyone found any good sites?
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 04:15:15 pm »

I've found that all sites have certain ores in abundance but none of the other. Yesterday I had a site with a LOT of coal and gold. Today another site only has Silver, Galena, and Hematite. Pretty odd to me but also fun.

It depends on the rock layers that you start with. Sedimentary rock is loaded with coal and iron ores (making sedimentary rocks like dolomite and limestone perfect for steel production), and it also has platinum bearing magnetite. Gabbro has lots of diamond bearing kimberlite, as well as platinum bearing olivine. All of the igneous rocks have gold (which is probably why people are reporting it being so common).

My favorite rock layers are dolomite and gabbro :)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 04:31:24 pm »

Good sites are the only ones I do find.

I will admit that the 130 z-level white sand volcano with no surface water was an extremely challenging embark point. Alas my bucket brigade lost the race with dwindling embark food/drink supplies.

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:41 pm »

I keep getting massive caverns at levels that are less than optimal, but other than that most sites are pretty good.

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 05:22:46 pm »

I like the new system; my only complaint is the difficulty in finding non-aquifer sites. I still haven't learned how to punch through them, and it's not the kind of thing I want to worry about while I'm learning all the other cool new ways to get killed. (Of course I tried using the finder to get a non-aquifer site, but it would take forever and then put me in a spot with no water source of any kind, or on an island with no civ access, etc.)
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Talith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2010, 05:40:51 pm »

Make sure you go to "design new world with parameters" and choose to gen a region, and not an island.  That usually gives me a lot less aquifers.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2010, 06:16:22 pm »

Mod them out, go into the raws, go to "inorganic_stone_soil/mineral/layer.txt" in objects, and find all instances of [AQUIFER] in the files.

No more aquifer! :D

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2010, 06:28:29 pm »

IIRC, that doesn't remove aquifers from coastal layers. At least in the old version it didn't.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2010, 07:20:16 pm »

What's your maximum Z-Level Range now?  The second fort I generated has 162 down and 17 up.  I've had to start embarking in smaller areas because all of this space really started hurting my performance.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:39 pm »

IIRC, that doesn't remove aquifers from coastal layers. At least in the old version it didn't.
It does.

Just delete it all, ALL, and no more aquifers.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2010, 08:34:36 pm »

It does.

Just delete it all, ALL, and no more aquifers.

Hmm, maybe I missed one. But deleting the aquifer tag was my common practice back then, but I remember embarking on coastal maps which still had aquifers on them (albeit only on the ocean biome itself, not on the nearby biomes).

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2010, 08:40:07 pm »

You probably didn't delete the tag on the very bottom most soils, the oozes and slimes.

Hurion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 09:05:14 pm »

I've found this in Adventure mode:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's two river canyons (the water starts 4 or 5 z levels down if I remember) merging into one. Just to the NE they diverge obliquely. I've not checked it out in Dwarf mode yet, so it might be absolute crap... I'm saving it till a bugfix update comes.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:07:11 pm by Hurion »

wrajjt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 09:12:00 pm »

Always embark on a volcano. The way they are set up to work right now, there's too much FUN to be had to not use them!  ;D

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 09:17:49 pm »

Heres an interesting map. It's a large island surrounded by water with lots of mountains. It has plenty of areas without aquifers. I haven't looked to see if it has any good volcano spots or anything like that (I haven't bothered to check since volcanos kind of suck right now due to them sticking up in the air) but it has lots of mountains with flux stone and sand and the like.

The interesting thing about the map is that there is a huge goblin civ in the northeast and the southeast. The northeastern one is composed mostly of elves (kidnap victims), and has been in constant war with the elves since the start, which is a kind of funny Elf v. Elf thing - I'm not sure if they would send elves to siege and kidnap your people or if it would just default to goblins since its technically a goblin civ (even if the elves did take it over).

The southeastern one is run by a winged demon. These guys immediately wiped out one of the dwarven civs and halfway wiped out another, and at around year 100 would probably have lots of dwarves as members (they led attacks against the other dwarf civ, but are killed off by the humans that are kidnapped in later years). Starting as the dwarven civ that was nearly wiped out has the goblins set to "At War" although I'm not entirely sure what that does. There are lots of interesting areas down near those goblin forts with sedimentary flux stones in combination with sand and nifty rock types like gabbro (for the diamonds) and obsidian. I was going to try out a game near the goblins and see how that went. I wonder if they siege you more when at war  ;D

Heres the map generation data:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link
Pages: 1 [2]