Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone found any good sites?  (Read 1820 times)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Anyone found any good sites?
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:42:00 pm »

I haven't seen anyone post parameters for anything. Anyone wanna post some? (Use spoiler tags if necessary please)

I haven't really been able to generate any good sites (Or maybe just mine in the right places)
I don't really know how to look for features in 2010 like we could in 40d
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
Re: Anyone found any good sites?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:52:23 pm »

There are no parameters because just about every location has just about every feature. That's also why you can't search for them.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:03:17 pm »

There are no parameters because just about every location has just about every feature. That's also why you can't search for them.

Well except demonice fortresses, how i read.
They seem to only appear once per mountain tile.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:52 pm »

I found a tiny arctic ocean that's about 14 squares in size on the local map, with apparently sinister surroundings. I'll create an extra copy of this particular world and explore it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:41:46 pm by Owlbread »

andrei901

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:42:14 pm »

Still, I've generated over 50 worlds in the past 3 hours and have yet to find a site with surface magma and a river/aquifer and sand. Anyone wanna post such a site that they have found?

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:49:08 pm »

Still, I've generated over 50 worlds in the past 3 hours and have yet to find a site with surface magma and a river/aquifer and sand. Anyone wanna post such a site that they have found?

How about this one here?

Only problem is you can't quite fit it all into a 4x4 square, but you could get a mountain area to go with it, plus the volcano, sand and river if you expand it a bit. Don't forget the vegetation either. Let me know if you want it.

I think you'll be far luckier with your attempts if you make sure to generate a world with the maximum number of volcanoes. That always helps.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:52:32 pm by Owlbread »

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:50:49 pm »

You have trouble finding sand?
I have yet find an embark location without sand.

Change the world gen setting so it spawns 10x more rivers and volcanos than normal, sand is almost everywhere.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:01:17 pm »

Do you know if cliffs have returned in this version? I wanna go build my cliffside fortress. I just need to know where and how to find a suitable spot. Preferably with a river/brook below nearby, not directly below like how cliffs were generated in the older version.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:03:34 pm by Itnetlolor »

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:12:14 pm »

I found a site that was seemingly a flat grassland, but the river reaches a 6 z-level waterfall to an underground pool, which then splits to two separate rivers.

Not really sure how it came about in world gen, I thought it was pretty cool looking though.

Phoebus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 02:18:18 pm »

Volcano, Aquifer, Sand, Flux & Lots of trees (on my first try)

The volcano is 60 level high... on the outside.
4 murky pools at the top, and LOTS of iron ore on the cliffside.

Edit: If you embark 5 wide by 4 high with the center on the south of the volcano, you'll land at the top of the mountain with the volcano a few tiles north, and a murky pool a few tiles south

Bottom left corner of the world map, the duo-volcano on the left.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:30:16 pm by Phoebus »

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:28:15 pm »

Volcano, Aquifer, Sand, Flux & Lots of trees (on my first try)

The volcano is 60 level high... on the outside.
4 murky pools at the top, and LOTS of iron ore on the cliffside.

Bottom left corner of the world map, the duo-volcano on the left.

I too have seen a HUGE increase in iron ore presence. Nearly every room I dig out has some sort of iron or lignite/coal vein. I feel like my low skill miners are ruining it, yet I don't want to leave it for later.

But anyway; Increase in ores: Bug, Feature or Coincidence?

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:49:15 pm »

The increase in ore, from what everyone can tell, is a feature and a bit on the absurd side.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Onamar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »

The increase in ore, from what everyone can tell, is a feature and a bit on the absurd side.

The ore, yes, I'm not complaining about the increase in coal though, considering unless you start near a volcano, any and all lava is roughly 100+ layers down...
...a massive, golden, middle finger... to let the damn goblins who attack every merchant caravan that comes through know what I think of them.

Alkyon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 03:31:05 pm »

The ore, yes, I'm not complaining about the increase in coal though, considering unless you start near a volcano, any and all lava is roughly 100+ layers down...

Oh, yes, the coal is quite nice.  However, I've found several sites where the HFS is found at around -50Z with the standard setup.  The key seems to be to start out in a lowland.  In yet another way Toady's world-gen mimics real life, mountains seem to have "roots" so if you start out at a low elevation, there should be relatively little rock between you and the caverns.
Since when has practical had anything to do with dwarfy?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:04:38 pm »

I've found that all sites have certain ores in abundance but none of the other. Yesterday I had a site with a LOT of coal and gold. Today another site only has Silver, Galena, and Hematite. Pretty odd to me but also fun.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.
Pages: [1] 2