Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: RAW typos and missing tags  (Read 9863 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: RAW typos and missing tags
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 12:34:18 pm »

You'll probably want to make that [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL] so it knows to describe the alligators as having eyes plural not singular.

Won't putting [EDIBLE_COOKED] on quarry bushes make the bushes edible when cooked rather than the leaves?  I would have expected that you'd add [EDIBLE_COOKED] to LEAF_TEMPLATE in material_template_default to make quarry bush leaves cookable, but I haven't tried it yet.

And arguably BLOOD_TEMPLATE should also have [EDIBLE_COOKED].  Hey, there's historical precedent and it's common in some countries.  Black pudding, anyone?  Not sure about ichor and goo.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 12:38:36 pm »

In the dwarven section of entity_default for generals and militia commanders it has SOLDIER_COLOR] missing the first square bracket. Since 'soldier colour' doesn't appear anywhere else it could be unimplemented and purposeful, or it might just be a typo that was copy/pasted.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2010, 12:46:01 pm »

Won't putting [EDIBLE_COOKED] on quarry bushes make the bushes edible when cooked rather than the leaves?  I would have expected that you'd add [EDIBLE_COOKED] to LEAF_TEMPLATE in material_template_default to make quarry bush leaves cookable, but I haven't tried it yet.
Yes, that's correct. You should specify that it must be inside the LEAF_TEMPLATE in the quarry bush entry.

Also some more:
creature_large_mountain:

[CREATURE:GOAT_MOUNTAIN]
   [DESCRIPTION:A medium-sized herbivore that lives in the high mountains, able to navigate the slopes despite its hooved feet.]
   [NAME:mountain goat:mountain goats:mountain goat]
   [CASTE_NAME:mountain goat:mountain goats:mountain goat]
   [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:mountain goat kid:mountain goat kids]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:horse foal:horse foals]

creature_standard:

[CREATURE:UNICORN]
   [DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature with a spiral horn growing from its forehead.]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:elk fawn:elk fawnsunicorn foal:unicorn foals]

Edit: one more
creature_subterranean:

CREATURE:BIRD_SWALLOW_CAVE]
   [DESCRIPTION:A small blue and orange bird.]
   [NAME:cave swallow:cave swallows:cave swallow]
   [CASTE_NAME:cave swallow:cave swallows:cave swallow]
   [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:red-winged blackbirdcave swallow hatchling:red-winged blackbirdcave swallow hatchlings]

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 12:49:31 pm by shadow_slicer »

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2010, 12:55:00 pm »

You'll probably want to make that [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:PLURAL] so it knows to describe the alligators as having eyes plural not singular.

And arguably BLOOD_TEMPLATE should also have [EDIBLE_COOKED].  Hey, there's historical precedent and it's common in some countries.  Black pudding, anyone?  Not sure about ichor and goo.

First one: Makes sense, will change.
Second one: That makes more sense. I'll look that up here in a bit.
Third one: I think that may be beyond the scope of what we're doing. If enough folks agree on it though, I may add it to the list.

In the dwarven section of entity_default for generals and militia commanders it has SOLDIER_COLOR] missing the first square bracket. Since 'soldier colour' doesn't appear anywhere else it could be unimplemented and purposeful, or it might just be a typo that was copy/pasted.

I'll list it. No idea what the tag does though.

Yes, that's correct. You should specify that it must be inside the LEAF_TEMPLATE in the quarry bush entry.

Also some more:
creature_large_mountain:

[CREATURE:GOAT_MOUNTAIN]
   [DESCRIPTION:A medium-sized herbivore that lives in the high mountains, able to navigate the slopes despite its hooved feet.]
   [NAME:mountain goat:mountain goats:mountain goat]
   [CASTE_NAME:mountain goat:mountain goats:mountain goat]
   [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:mountain goat kid:mountain goat kids]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:horse foal:horse foals]

creature_standard:

[CREATURE:UNICORN]
   [DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature with a spiral horn growing from its forehead.]
[CHILD:1][GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:elk fawn:elk fawnsunicorn foal:unicorn foals]

Edit: one more
creature_subterranean:

CREATURE:BIRD_SWALLOW_CAVE]
   [DESCRIPTION:A small blue and orange bird.]
   [NAME:cave swallow:cave swallows:cave swallow]
   [CASTE_NAME:cave swallow:cave swallows:cave swallow]
   [GENERAL_CHILD_NAME:red-winged blackbirdcave swallow hatchling:red-winged blackbirdcave swallow hatchlings]

I've already got the goat and unicorn, but the cave swallow is new. Adding.

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2010, 01:44:10 pm »

I've already got the goat and unicorn, but the cave swallow is new. Adding.
There is a difference between my fix for the goat and yours. If you look in the raws the GENERAL_CHILD_NAME for the mountain goat is defined twice. The first time defines it correctly, and the second time defines it as horse foals. The posted correction only changes the second one, so it is still being defined twice.

Also:
That makes more sense. I'll look that up here in a bit.
If you look at a previous post, you can see that EDIBLE_COOKED should have been added to the LEAF_TEMPLATE.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2010, 05:10:10 pm »

This is a slightly less obvious/clear thing than most of the others, but I figure I'd mention it anyway:

All metals (save adamantine) have the exact same MAX_EDGE. This may or may not be intentional, but is certainly pretty weird. You're not exactly going to feasibly hammer gold into the same edge as steel.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

shadow_slicer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2010, 10:20:07 pm »

creature_large_tundra

[CREATURE:MUSKOX]
[SELECT_CASTE:ALL]
                [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:ALL:HAIR]
                        [TL_COLOR_MODIFIER:GRAY:1]
                                [TLCM_NOUN:skinhair:SINGULAR]

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2010, 10:53:04 pm »

This is a slightly less obvious/clear thing than most of the others, but I figure I'd mention it anyway:

All metals (save adamantine) have the exact same MAX_EDGE. This may or may not be intentional, but is certainly pretty weird. You're not exactly going to feasibly hammer gold into the same edge as steel.

Gold leaf can be made literally paper-thin. Though I'd imagine it won't HOLD an edge as well as steel. Or quarry bush leaf.

There's an interesting thought--make gold malleable into gold leaf, which can then be used in dwarven recipes. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_leaf

It would be even more dwarven to make alcohol with gold in it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldschl%C3%A4ger
This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2010, 11:07:14 pm »

When you are done with this, can you test the fixed files and upload them so we can fix this ASAP?

Please?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2010, 11:19:38 pm »

I'll list it. No idea what the tag does though.

It doesn't do anything, since it's not a valid tag. The missing bracket is deliberate, and adding it back in will only serve to spam entries in your error log.

Having looked through the rest of the corrections on the list, the mountain goat entry already contains the correct GENERAL_CHILD_NAME tag. The erroneous horse foal tag is a duplicate entry that Toady just forgot to delete. It's probably preferable to just delete the spurious entry, rather than replacing it, to avoid having duplicate tags (although it won't actually cause any problems).

Also, as shadow_slicer pointed out, your quarry bush correction is ambiguous. In order for the fix to work, the [EDIBLE_COOKED] tag must go somewhere after [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEAF:LEAF_TEMPLATE] and before [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SEED:SEED_TEMPLATE]. For formatting's sake, I suppose it should ideally come immediately after the [MATERIAL_VALUE:5] line, but (I think) it should work if you put it anywhere between those two entries mentioned above.

To contribute a few of my own:

Some entries in plant_standard.txt are missing a VALUE tag. Since plants can now inherit their value from the MATERIAL_VALUE of their structural material (I think), this may be intended. Nevertheless, VALUE is still a valid tag for plants, and the presence/absence of the tag is inconsistent from one plant to the next.

Secondly, to fix seeds no longer being cookable, you can add [EDIBLE_COOKED] to the seed entry in material_template_default.txt.

Edit: Oh, and one more that I forgot. In your fix for soap, since soap is a bar, you need to add [PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150] on the product line. I'm not sure what happens if you omit it, but I suspect it means you'll end up needing 150 bars for everything you need to do, instead of just the one.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:45:17 am by Morlark »

Shoehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2010, 12:57:25 pm »

Man this is a really helpful thread, and will probably do a lot in speeding up the while bugfix thing. One question though, would fixing my raws mess up my savegame? It's probably worth it even if it does.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2010, 01:14:37 pm »

Other possible typos:

creature_savage_tropical.txt

[CREATURE:SCORPION_DESERT_GIANT]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
            [TLCM_NOUN:eyes:SINGULAR]

SINGULAR should be PLURAL

creature_standard.txt

[CREATURE:CYCLOPS]
      [SET_TL_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:EYE:EYE]
            [TLCM_NOUN:eye:PLURAL]

PLURAL should be SINGULAR in this case, it's only got one eye.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

The Glock

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 02:09:14 pm »

Hey guys,

I been lurking in the big DF thread over the somethingawful.com, and we have a question.
Can anyone look into what's causing all non-rock underground plots to be required to irrigate? Is this a new feature by Toady?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 02:37:11 pm »

Partially. It's a new feature, but it's also bugged.

You're supposed to be able to farm on anything that's either mud, or soil with a full "wall" tile of soil underneath (i.e. it's not just a soil floor with rock underneath). The latter part is bugged such that you always need the ground to be muddied for underground farms to function.

By the way, penetration size of the STAB sword maneuvers is a bit messed up. I mentioned it to Toady and he said this:

[06/04/10 08:14:15] <G-Flex> (note that the stab goes less deep than the slash)
[06/04/10 08:16:09] <G-Flex> that's for short swords or something
[06/04/10 08:16:18] <G-Flex> there's a similar situation with other bladed weapons
[06/04/10 08:16:21] <ToadyOne> yeah, stab depth is a typo/error there I think, probably editing the slash to get it to work right and didn't change the other attacks or something

Example, from short swords, with relevant part in bold:

[ATTACK:EDGE:20000:4000:slash:slashes:NO_SUB:1250]
[ATTACK:EDGE:50:2000:stab:stabs:NO_SUB:1000]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:20000:4000:slap:slaps:flat:1250]
[ATTACK:BLUNT:1000:1000:strike:strikes:pommel:1000]

There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »

Very good thread, Rick! I'll be watching this so I can add the fixes to Civ Forge.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5