Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't dig stairways upwards?  (Read 2182 times)

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't dig stairways upwards?
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:17:31 am »

DF 2010 is awesome! :D Been playing it since I got home to my fast-enough computer.
But now I seem unable to dig my way upwards:

Code: [Select]
...X...
...X...
...X...
...X___
X = up/down stairway
. = dirt/mountain
_ = hallway

The hallway, and lowest stair has been dug. The stairs above are being ignored.
The weird thing is, after a quick test, the dwarves are happily digging upwards on another location (same game, same map, same dwarves)

So I'm just wondering, what could possibly cause dwarves to ignore these exact stairs? They are accessible(no doors, wide hallway, dwarves are literally passing by the designation), the dwarves are available (no job, mines whenever I designate something new).
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't dig stairways upwards?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 05:28:12 am »

was the first stairway in the hallway level dug or constructed?

If constructed, it's possibly the pathfinding bug, which prevents anything to go right next to the constructed object for some time. In that case just save and reload, and it should work again.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 05:44:01 am »

It was dug. I tried redesignating it (remove des. -> unpause game -> redesignate), but no difference.
Also, digging it from above and downward seemed to be no problem.

Not sure if this is a bug, but I saved a copy of the game where the stairs are not yet dug out.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:45 am »

I sometimes have this happening in 40d as well, so it's no new invention of DF2010.

The miners should eventually get to this task, once they have dug out the entire rest of the currently assigned digging destinations and once they are done with being on break, eating, partying, marrying, and whatever.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:43:10 am »

No this was not happening due to other designations not being completed yet. These stairs were the only thing left to dig when the miners went over to the wagon to stand around having "no job".

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 11:33:54 am »

Did you try removing, unpausing and then re-designating the stairs?
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:48:49 am »

It was dug. I tried redesignating it (remove des. -> unpause game -> redesignate), but no difference.
Also, digging it from above and downward seemed to be no problem.

Not sure if this is a bug, but I saved a copy of the game where the stairs are not yet dug out.

He already tried that.

Not sure what the issue is to be honest...

pbheadtemp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 03:26:14 pm »

thought id mention that i also have this issue, and i find it annoying.
Its preety dam fail when you manage to type in your email address wrong twice in the same way in a row, and create an account you cant access.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:39:52 pm »

When you tried redesignating the up/down stair order did you remove it, save, reload, then re-add it? That usually fixes it for me.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:43 am »

Can they pathfind it from the top side?  There are a lot of jobs that have a preferred direction and they'll refuse to go at it from the other side.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 03:05:45 am »

What if you try undesignating ALL of the unbuilt stairs/parts... then just designate 1 stair... the very next one that should be built... and see if that one works by itself?  Maybe it thinks that the next one to do is one of the squares that the dwarfs can't get to?  I don't know, just a theory.

Chris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 08:14:21 pm »

I've recently noticed a problem digging upward stairs from below when digging from a constructed upward stairway. In my case digging only a downward stairway worked but digging an up/down stairway would never activate. You can probably redesignate it as a dig down stair and then when that is done maybe redig it as up/down but more likely construct an up/down stairway there, and hope that it doesn't need to be done the whole way up.

One quick thing though, does your stairwell extend outside of a burrow in such a way that the miners cannot access it?

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 12:20:47 am »

Happens to me all the time. Just wait, they will get to it. Usually happens when one of their tasks get forcibly canceled. They just sit around with no job for a few minutes.