Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?  (Read 10384 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2010, 07:33:54 am »

I just want to point out that hauling magma all the way up to the surface IS now almost a megaproject in itself.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2010, 07:59:57 am »

I just want to point out that hauling magma all the way up to the surface IS now almost a megaproject in itself.

I don't know about that...  I don't expect moving it up to be as much of a problem as routing it where I want it.  I'm almost done with my power farm (a room filled by a brook, with 4 rows of 19 waterwheels, draining into an aquifer and also providing the water for my farm), and I'm not out of my first year yet.  After thats done, its really just digging down to the magma, building a pump stack, and hooking it up.

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2010, 09:18:48 am »

One hundred-plus z-level execution tower that literally sends it's victims directly to hell coming right up.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2010, 09:37:17 am »

One hundred-plus z-level execution tower that literally sends it's victims directly to hell coming right up.

There should be a way to
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2010, 06:29:23 pm »

Hmm, combined with a way to automatically form obsidian walls behind them to prevent the demons from getting out!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2010, 06:36:18 pm »

I don't know about that...  I don't expect moving it up to be as much of a problem as routing it where I want it.  I'm almost done with my power farm (a room filled by a brook, with 4 rows of 19 waterwheels, draining into an aquifer and also providing the water for my farm), and I'm not out of my first year yet.  After thats done, its really just digging down to the magma, building a pump stack, and hooking it up.

To be fair, it's still possible to embark on volcano tiles to get one of the 'old' magma pipes and avert the issue. It's just that you need to know worldgen editing tricks to get a lot of them on your main map.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2010, 07:31:30 pm »

When I come and think of it, The Age of Megaprojects is only in a state of suspended animation for the time being. Once all the kinks are worked with, a couple bugs stomped, and some wrinkles ironed out, it'll wake back up, and everyone will come up with all sorts of bizarre ideas.

Whever happened to making Teliaxu/Ixian cavern systems? Replicate Undergrotto within DF2010's parameters (making it a hell of alot more challenging than it originally was), build the Tower of Babil from FFIV (since it technically started from underground) and have a fortress not too far away from it with all sorts of dwarven tanks standing guard,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mean c'mon, I already listed a handful of ideas. If that's possible, I don't think the Age is over yet, it's just asleep. What about making an epic hospital with all sorts of warrior doctors, breach the pits and name the fortress Darkplace (or similar)?

It's not over, everyone is just busy figuring the new version out first. You gotta find out the limits before you can break them. It's the Dwarven way.

EDIT:
We also can't forget, Arena Mode is untapped territory. We can try to manufacture all sorts of crazy designs. Just understand how it's made, come up with some ideas, and take the time to find out a way to craft some epic arenas. I already have an idea to craft a series of boat battles as a starter-project for Arena Mode; along with building a chess set with the chess pieces as buildings themselves, or a monstrous stone tree to battle on top of. Materials include the Arena file, an understanding of the mapping system, Notepad++, and a program to help me map it out in overlay fashion (like Adobe Illustrator, for example). Not too hard to figure out. Now to think 3-dimensionally with ASCII characters in building from the "4th Person" perspective.

I haven't started yet, but I already have a method to try out, and it'll take a bit of trial and error before I get the hang of crafting. If I can get that far, I'd also like to see if I can reproduce, let's say, the Bloodfist among the arenas (with magma boilers or something). May not be as stylish, and maybe made of rocks, and lack the props (okay, more like a giant statue of the ship), but it would be the ship nonetheless.

EDIT EDIT:
Disregard my Illustrator method. Too much work for too little progress. However, This little program ought to be more helpful. Plus, with Photoshop (or equivalent) as the device instead (for layering), it should be more user-friendly.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 08:44:45 pm by Itnetlolor »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2010, 08:30:23 am »

I'm pretty sure the tower of Babel is from Judeo/Christian mythology, not FFIV.

Oh wait, that's the Tower of Babil...  Big difference. :P
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2010, 10:25:49 am »

There's still going to be nothing stopping you from building elaborate, visually spectacular monuments  in testament to the might of dwarven civil engineering once you've got a steady supply of food and booze squared away. If anything it's going to be easier now that some of the micromanagement has been taken out of fortress defence and your dwarves are a bit more dedicated to their work.

Besides, the new megaproject possibilities inherent in the newly-implemented ability to dig a tunnel to Hell ought to satisfy anyone.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2010, 10:26:29 am »

Replicate Undergrotto within DF2010's parameters (making it a hell of alot more challenging than it originally was)

Uh... not to be a thread-hog, but good luck with this. I had to use a bit of raw editry to make it possible, and it still took me 19 weeks with significant daily effort.

This little program ought to be more helpful. Plus, with Photoshop (or equivalent) as the device instead (for layering), it should be more user-friendly.

That looks pretty nifty. I haven't messed around with Arena Mode, but when I start to this'll come in handy for sure.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2010, 11:18:31 am »

I also have no iron (only igneous intrusive rock

Hematite is sad that you don't love it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2010, 03:11:31 pm »

Replicate Undergrotto within DF2010's parameters (making it a hell of alot more challenging than it originally was)
Uh... not to be a thread-hog, but good luck with this. I had to use a bit of raw editry to make it possible, and it still took me 19 weeks with significant daily effort.
Yeah, I know. I just mean if anyone would be up to the task of trying it out, now that there are caverns and Hell to deal with. It just makes the prospect far more challenging to accomplish, even when replicating what you did.

I mean, replicating Bloodfist in DF2010 would be a bit of a stretch alone. It would require much effort just to keep some farms pumping crops just to keep the fort fed, and then the rest of the production on it's own. Although burrows would make reproducing it a bit simpler a process. If anything, I think I would only work on it as a side-project (non-announced) just to see if it would be possible. Of course, not going into as much detail and "realism" as I did last time. Just keep it simple to see how it would be in the new version. I am at least willing to attempt reproduction of it as an arena. It may be made of rocks and have ramps instead of stairs, but it'll still be the ship nonetheless.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2010, 04:51:27 pm »

I've got 30 dwarves with picks squared away on enough food and booze for, literally, 17 in-game years, so I'm already doing a mega-project. Making a sheer, uniform cliff face on the ocean edge, a wharf, and some small boats. Also, a steel castle on top of the cliff.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2010, 05:21:34 pm »

I'd like to point out that there are new magma safe materials available, more magma available, and more creatures available.

The age is far from over. Especially since a boatmurdered style cannon is feasable on any map, and we can build magma moats deeper, with a brige a few zlevels over the moat, ready to flush the invaders down there with magma.

random51

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2010, 06:04:27 pm »

It is. I got lucky and only had to pump it up 42 levels on my current embark. Thinking about it, I wonder if it made any practical sense to do so in terms of labor/time saved versus using charcoal.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6