Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?  (Read 10377 times)

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is the Age of Megaprojects over?
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2010, 09:04:11 am »

At least small worlds frequently end up with all civilizations wiped out.  I embarked in a tiny world in a random location to take a look.  There are no kobolds, no goblins, no dwarf/elf/humans to trade with (my civ has no notable figures!).  The only civs i know of are an unnamed amphibian man society!

Which means I'm more or less free to do whatever, so long as i don't piss off the wandering hordes of elephants too much, and beware megabeasts.  Apparently some of the new mega-creatures don't wait on wealth or population before becoming uninvited guests! (He's currently down in a cavern with no walking entrance to my fort, but i'll have to deal with him sometime).

I also have no iron (only igneous intrusive rock), so everything is going to be in bronze.  Black bronze castle and bismuth bronze weapons and armor.  Now if only i could get some more migrants! (7 migrants + 7 starting = 14 dwarves - that's running pretty light!)  I'm just glad i decided to bring an anvil - now i just need to figure out how to make a second!

Skie

• Bay Watcher
  • ~♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2010, 09:24:39 am »

At least small worlds frequently end up with all civilizations wiped out.  I embarked in a tiny world in a random location to take a look.  There are no kobolds, no goblins, no dwarf/elf/humans to trade with (my civ has no notable figures!).  The only civs i know of are an unnamed amphibian man society!

Which means I'm more or less free to do whatever, so long as i don't piss off the wandering hordes of elephants too much, and beware megabeasts.  Apparently some of the new mega-creatures don't wait on wealth or population before becoming uninvited guests! (He's currently down in a cavern with no walking entrance to my fort, but i'll have to deal with him sometime).

I also have no iron (only igneous intrusive rock), so everything is going to be in bronze.  Black bronze castle and bismuth bronze weapons and armor.  Now if only i could get some more migrants! (7 migrants + 7 starting = 14 dwarves - that's running pretty light!)  I'm just glad i decided to bring an anvil - now i just need to figure out how to make a second!

Just embark in a larger world. Civs will survive the onslaught of the new, tougher megabeasts.
Skie, Modmaker cancels modcrafting: Went insane.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2010, 09:31:42 am »

Just embark in a larger world. Civs will survive the onslaught of the new, tougher megabeasts.

My computer will cry.  I'm getting 30fps with 14 dwarves on the smallest world possible!  (Seriously, Toady One needs the next update to be a code optimization one - i'm not going to be able to play the next version otherwise!)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2010, 09:59:54 am »

World size has remarkably little impact on fortress mode's speed.  The only thing I can think of that it might effect is more space -> longer weather calculation.  But on forts I've had that have begun to slow down, turning off weather has never made that much difference.

Do you have Partial Print turned on?

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2010, 10:14:17 am »

6) Second Age of Survival (the current one)

More like "Age of Death by immortal creatures".

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2010, 10:26:15 am »

6) Second Age of Survival (the current one)

More like "Age of Death by immortal creatures".

"Age of Death" is something else.  We're more in the "Age of Immortals" subtitle "Age of Survival."

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2010, 10:39:19 am »

World size has remarkably little impact on fortress mode's speed.  The only thing I can think of that it might effect is more space -> longer weather calculation.  But on forts I've had that have begun to slow down, turning off weather has never made that much difference.

Do you have Partial Print turned on?

As best i can figure, world size has an impact because the history-related files are longer and the geological files are longer (since it knows the composition of every single tile in the world).

Anfold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2010, 10:48:47 am »

It's slower because there's more stuff underground. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the default (pocket small medium large) gen settings, each setting has a greater number of layers between different underground features.  So, a large world would have more Z levels of rock taking up valuable memory real estate, making your fortress run slower if you have less than maybe 1.5 gigs of RAM.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2010, 11:31:59 am »

So, a large world would have more Z levels of rock taking up valuable memory real estate, making your fortress run slower if you have less than maybe 1.5 gigs of RAM.

Y.....es.  But you can change that.  The X and Y dimensions of the world should have no effect.  And the list of historical figures should have almost no impact either (how often do you think the game needs to look at it?).

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2010, 02:40:39 pm »

So, a large world would have more Z levels of rock taking up valuable memory real estate, making your fortress run slower if you have less than maybe 1.5 gigs of RAM.

Y.....es.  But you can change that.  The X and Y dimensions of the world should have no effect.  And the list of historical figures should have almost no impact either (how often do you think the game needs to look at it?).

Every time you engrave a wall?

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2010, 03:00:11 pm »

Oh yeah!  That happens every frame in all of my forts!
</sarcasm>

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2010, 03:03:25 pm »

</sarcasm>

All i know is smaller worlds run faster.  Experimental evidence >> theory.

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2010, 05:59:42 pm »

</sarcasm>

All i know is smaller worlds run faster.  Experimental evidence >> theory.

Ah, but theory >> anecdotal evidence!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:59 pm »

I've lost track of what you guys ended up talking about, but historical figure tracking shouldn't slow down anything but your attempts to sift through them and find the stuff you want, regardless of size. It's just a big organized list of text.

Soralin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2010, 11:52:38 pm »

Down with megaprojects, up with danger I say!

This game is about SURVIVAL.  Seven dwarves vs the wild, gigantic monsters, and the underworld's teeming swarms.  When this game is closer to finish, the only megaprojects you'll be making are simple irrigation projects needed to prevent your dwarfs from starving horribly over the next three months, and maybe a large sewage pit with lava so they don't all drown in their own effluences.

I don't like it when people think of this game as a digital Lego set, and see everything that gets in the way of building a ludicrously huge structure with a dedicated workforce of 50 people as a step in the wrong direction.  Go play infiniminer, I say!  This game is for sim fans looking for a challenge!

I pray for the day when cave-ins are reimplemented, and structural integrity is introduced into structures.  Then it will take you 300 years not 30 years, to build that gigantic bridge from one mountain peak to the other.  Imagine the resounding screed on the forum when that happens.  "I dont liiiiike this!  I can't build a giant giraffe structure from yellow glass that poops magma when I engage the windmills!  The game is no fun anymore!!" 

Any while you're posting that, a massive army of rhino-riding humans and their goblin thralls will come and bulldoze your sad little monuments to the ground before enslaving the entire fort, an event that will be commemorated forever in every fifth engraving your dwarves create, should you try to start a new fort in that world.

On that day you'll remember that losing is fun.

[OK, I'll stop trolling people now.   ;) ]

I agree. You shouldn't be building a giant tower out of steel because it looks cool, you should be building a giant tower out of steel because it'll slow down the giant, flying, tunneling, building destroying creatures from breaking through your walls.  Holding them at bay long enough that your marksdwarves can shoot it through the fortifications enough to kill it or drive it off, before it can break though, grab a couple of dwarves, and fly off with them, dropping them from high in the air onto the rocks far below to crack open their hard metal armored shells and get to the tasty dwarf inside. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6