Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (Suggestion) Better Graphics  (Read 1613 times)

Onxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(Suggestion) Better Graphics
« on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:36 am »

Firstly, respectfully I aplogise for my rant, I did not know that this new release was a Beta version, and no, I am not a guy, happen to be a girl actually ( gave me a chuckle to read people refering me to a guy). I did download and install the new ( or I think it was new ) Mayday Graphic fix earlier today before I ranted about the game. It gave me a error and shut down to the windows version and not the fullscreen which I far prefer to use and to honest I ain't good at modding enough to figure out how to make it work. :-[

I like this game, it's fun, it's up there with Fallout 3 and Oblivion to me but, I need better graphics, I really like the graphics that Mayday modded up for this game, to me it made it more enjoyable. :D

Which leads me to say well, how about including Mayday's graphics into the vanilla game? In the TES Elder Scrolls Community all people want is a mention in the credits. I don't know about this community though, in the latter ranting was allowed because lord knows mods can be a painful experience to install for noobs. ???

And for the record, yes I did try out the new Beta version before my rant. And yeah, had a bad day today. :'(

Do the right thing, you know the right thing. Do the right thing so you never regret what you've done.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (Suggestion) Better Graphics
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:51:34 am »

Toady isnt going to be doing graphics until veeery late in development. Besides, alot of people actually like ascii, surprising as that may be to some people. You can always look for tilesets that add a bit of a graphical enhancement, if the graphic sets dont work.

Onxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:55:32 am »

I suppose it does have a certain charm ( remembers when played pac man ). Fair enough, lead me to those tilesets and how does one rid the fullscreen bug that shuts to a window? The window doesn't show all the game screen.
Do the right thing, you know the right thing. Do the right thing so you never regret what you've done.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 04:52:29 am »

Over here be your tilesets. As for the fullscreen bug, I'm not sure, since I've never had it. Are the entries in init.txt about fullscreen resolution correct?

Edit: To clarify, those tilesets wont change each dwarf to look like their profession, just change what the original dwarf tile (normally ☺ for civilian and ☻ for military) looks like.

That font sucks for altcodes.

Edit 2: Specifically the one called called (by?) Aesomatica in 16x16. Very graphical tileset.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:56:35 am by Manifold1 »

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:23:50 am »

Including the mayday tileset into the vanilla game would be like smacking all ascii-users into oblivion. Graphical tilesets aren't too hard to implement, and the raws aren't too hard (for one with the experience to make a tileset) to work on.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
  • "Situation normal; all ****ed up"
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 06:13:55 am »

My biggest problem, currently, is that the multitude of colours is very distracting. I'd absolutely love an option (in the form of some ingame key you could press or some option menu checkbox) that rendered all stone in the same colour and/or without different symbols. When you're forced to make a fortress in a microcline or some-bright-yellow-stone, it's sometimes wears on your eyes.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 06:19:09 am »

Theres a way to do that in the RAWs, but it's probably changed since 40d and I have no idea how to do it now. In 40d, you opened the RAW that had all the stones in it, and you could change the colours from there. Of course, if you wanted them back to normal, you'd need to set them all back or have a backup.

It may or may not be completely different now, I dont know.

Squirrelloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 06:41:48 am »

tbh, I can't stand graphical tilesets.  I can't tell what the hell's going on whenever I see an image using one.  ASCII is far more heirarchically informative, which at least for some people (myself included) is far more useful.

(The only kind of DF graphics I approve of are 3D visualizers - because i don't have to play with them on, and they can have enough resolution so that it just doesn't look like a color disaster).

I would support a better letter-association scheme for creatures, based on heirarchical association (ie, more of a rogue-like scheme, where say all felines are f, and different felines can be identified by color).  I'm going to need to go through the creature raws again and change all the character-associations to match what i did in .40d.  Basically, its far more useful to know 'That is a cat', especially for first time users.  'C' being used for Cougar and Cow is a bad scheme.

Onxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 07:09:45 am »

I personally like the mayday graphics mainly because I love the little adorable animal pics and the colour helps me distinguish what is what. Guess I am the oposite of those who like the ASCII. As for fiddling, err modding the raw files, I really have no idea what I'm doing and being on the cautious side I am loathe to fiddle err tweak it in case I completely balls something up.  :P

Kudos to those who mod though, makes life sweet.  ;D

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 12:48:04 pm »

There are a lot of different things that can go wrong when an application goes full screen.

The most common thing though is an out of range screen resolution.

Goto your Dwarf Fortress\data\init Folder and open init.txt with NOTEPAD. (or notepad++ if you have it)

Make sure the lines:

Code: [Select]
[FULLSCREENX:XXXX] (There will be some number in the X's )
[FULLSCREENY:XXXX]
matches your Screens resolution.  Mayday wont go fullscreen for me because my monitor does not support that high of resolution so I turn the codes in the init to:
Code: [Select]
[FULLSCREENX:800]
[FULLSCREENY:600]

Perhaps you need to do the same.

EDIT: Yes, I do have one of the original LCD monitors from back when they cost 1200$ for a 17 inch. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:50:11 pm by profit »
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 01:48:57 pm »

Theres a way to do that in the RAWs, but it's probably changed since 40d and I have no idea how to do it now. In 40d, you opened the RAW that had all the stones in it, and you could change the colours from there. Of course, if you wanted them back to normal, you'd need to set them all back or have a backup.

It may or may not be completely different now, I dont know.
Should be really easy to just have a bat file exchange the modded init raw for the original one, or write a program that exchanges the blocks of text in question.

grey_stones.bat: All stones, ores and gems are grey.
   ren stone.raw originalstone.raw
   ren moddedstone.raw stone.raw

colour_stones.bat: Reverts to original stone.

ren stone.raw moddedstone.raw
   ren originalstone.raw stone.raw

Someone with better programming skills than me could probably combine them into a single .bat file, which checked for the existence of "originalstone" and "moddedstone" and renamed files accordingly.
"Sieging humans brought some war polar bears, and one of them started a camp fire. Highly trained!" --Today One accidentally introduces the panserbjørn into Dwarf Fortress lore

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:45:27 pm »

I've been doing a lot of playing around with tilesets at least. I could give graphics a go.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52060.0

That's the tileset I've been working on, almost always doing what I can to improve it.

If you need help feel free to message me at Shaostoul@Yahoo.com

I'm almost always on.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Safe-Keeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • FS Mod tester
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 03:23:24 pm »

Went through the stone files and changed the color and title of all the rocks to that of granite. It's not the uniform light grey I hoped for (I don't know if uniform colours without any kind of patterns or icons is even possible with the original ASCII tileset), but it's a huge improvement, and I can probably make it even better. Thanks a lot.

Onxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:56:45 pm »

I've been doing a lot of playing around with tilesets at least. I could give graphics a go.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=52060.0

That's the tileset I've been working on, almost always doing what I can to improve it.

If you need help feel free to message me at Shaostoul@Yahoo.com

I'm almost always on.

Looks Great  ;D Definately will download once you release it.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 04:59:16 pm »

This is what I posted in a recent, basically identical thread:

Toady knows this is important for the game, which is why it's a Core dev item, meaning it's guaranteed to completed for version 1:

# Core50, TILESET SUPPORT, (Future): Allow graphical tiles to be used for all game objects.

"Full graphics support" is also #7 #6 on Eternal Suggestion Voting, and Toady is planning to work on the top 10 ESV items after the upcoming release bug fixes, so this'll probably get implemented in the near future.
Pages: [1] 2