Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: DF2010, Channels make ramps instead  (Read 39080 times)

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DF2010, Channels make ramps instead
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:59:15 am »

Digging a channel will make a ramp instead
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:01:23 am by commondragon »
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2010, Channels make ramps instead
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 03:19:41 am »

Thats actually logical if you think about it, digging a traversable incline compared to totally removing a storey of earth from above -it does render 'dig ramp' redunt though
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 03:49:05 am »

Yes, I believe this is a new feature, not a bug.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:20 am »

I believe it might be somewhat a new feature, but still not working like intended.

For example, if you dig a 1-tile wide channel, it will be filled with ramps. To my understanding it'd look like this:
Code: [Select]
(+ is floor, # is wall and ▲ is ramp) Topdown:
+++++++
+▲▲▲▲▲+
+++++++

Side:
\|
If my poor ascii-presentation isn't clear enough, here's how I think it would look like from side in a drawn form:

This is because 1 ramp can logically only face 1 direction, not 2 directions as a "real ditch simulation" would require (because as everyone knows, ditches are U-shaped, or V-shaped, and a ditch is the only thing I can think of this new system tries to simulate). But this is a minor fault.

Here's what makes it stupid.
As it would have been in 40d, . is open space:
+++++
+...+
+...+
+...+
+++++

As it is now:
+++++
+▲▲▲+
+▲▲▲+
+▲▲▲+
+++++
That shouldn't even be possible! The central ramp should collapse because it is not supported by walls from any direction.

I can't even imagine what that would look like in real life.

Here's my best guess:

But that makes absolutely no sense. How's that a pit? Who the heck would dig like that if they were asked to dig a pit?

Just bring back the old system, this is useless.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:33:01 am by Burneddi »

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 05:07:11 am »

Hi!

I recall hearing that the ramps are indeed a new feature to get added realism.

Note that a "ramp tile" could theoretically have more than one slope if the need be there. I don't see any problem with that per se.

But I agree that free standing ramps are a little bit odd - but then again, this is just the feeling from previous versions. If you think about it, why should a ramp of solid stone/earth collapse to nothingness only because you remove material from next to it? It is not resting on the neighboring tile but actually supporting itself - so their immediate collapse is actually illogical.

Deathworks

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:17 am »

Burneddi, as much as I dislike this new system, your visualisation of the result is wrong. It would be better to think of the ramps up as pyramids, and ramps down as inverted pyramids, with the points of adjacent ramps joined by ridges or valleys as required.

Burneddi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 05:31:04 am »

Burneddi, as much as I dislike this new system, your visualisation of the result is wrong. It would be better to think of the ramps up as pyramids, and ramps down as inverted pyramids, with the points of adjacent ramps joined by ridges or valleys as required.
But a ramp is only passable to one direction, is it not?

Therefore you will get "knackered ramps" if you build ramps that require a 180° turn to pass, as has been demonstrated in this picture.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 05:49:19 am »

Burneddi is right, the new system makes no sense.

Channel:

Ramp:

Thats actually logical if you think about it, digging a traversable incline compared to totally removing a storey of earth from above -it does render 'dig ramp' redunt though

I fail to see how it's logical to dig a ramp down into a hole that you're just going to dump water into...and if you did want a ramp, well, we already had that option.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:56:38 am by Jehdin »

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 05:56:33 am »

It's got to be a bug, it's just terrible. the three tile wide example given is the main problem, you just get a ditch filled with gentle inclines, and it makes channeling pretty much worthless now.

"Invaders, Behold my moat of... uh... shallow... ramps... and ... I... welp, you guys want us to just line up for the random murdering, or want to chase us around first?"

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 06:00:01 am »

It's got to be a bug, it's just terrible. the three tile wide example given is the main problem, you just get a ditch filled with gentle inclines, and it makes channeling pretty much worthless now.

"Invaders, Behold my moat of... uh... shallow... ramps... and ... I... welp, you guys want us to just line up for the random murdering, or want to chase us around first?"

You could still make a magma moat, that should still stop them, bit more complicated than a water moat, though.

You could also just wall off your fortress instead of digging a moat.. It's just as effective.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:34:22 am by Jehdin »

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 06:07:19 am »

I think that was the point of the change, so that digging a 1-tile wide ditch wasn't such an effective instant defence.

If you mine underneath first, you don't get the ramps.  So you can make a decent defensive ditch by digging the far edge first (which will be ramped), then mining underneath to the near edge, then channeling over the mines.  Ascii art examples:

... outside ...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
.... inside ...
Step 1: Dig channels at "^" markers
Step 2: Using ramps to go down, mine tunnels underneath "X" markers
Step 3: Dig channels at "X" markers to complete the ditch.
(optional) Step 4: Fill with water/magma.

One upside is that if your dwarves accidentally fall in the moat, they have a chance to escape, and can get back in if the drawbridge is down.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 06:24:14 am »

I think that was the point of the change, so that digging a 1-tile wide ditch wasn't such an effective instant defence.

If true, that's a horrible reason for the change, considering the same can be done by walling off the entrance to your fort or forbidding a door.

One upside is that if your dwarves accidentally fall in the moat, they have a chance to escape, and can get back in if the drawbridge is down.

But you could have done that with the old system, without the extra step of mining out where you wanted to channel first.

I suppose it makes some sense that you'd have to build a ramp down to dig out a channel, considering that'd be a pretty deep hole, but having it dig a ramp by default is confusing and makes the channeling option redundant.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 06:31:52 am »

Here's what makes it stupid.
As it would have been in 40d, . is open space:
+++++
+...+
+...+
+...+
+++++

As it is now:
+++++
+▲▲▲+
+▲▲▲+
+▲▲▲+
+++++
That shouldn't even be possible! The central ramp should collapse because it is not supported by walls from any direction.

The central ramp does collapse (disappear, rather), just as it would have if you mass-designated a bunch of ramps in the old version.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 06:49:02 am »

But a ramp is only passable to one direction, is it not?
No, it is only passable to the upper level on sides with walls, and on the lower level on sides without walls. The number of each is irrelevant.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 07:26:00 am »

You can still have an instant defence by removing ramps as quickly as they appear and then either digging a tunnel out of the channel or creating a ramp on the defensive side.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12