Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I Learned Something New Today (minor spoilers)  (Read 1763 times)

Sarstan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
So I Learned Something New Today (minor spoilers)
« on: April 04, 2010, 01:58:54 am »

Playing DF2010.  Total blast with all the new stuff going on.  Yeah, we've heard it all so I'll move on.
So I get my second fort fired up (my first I found out irrigation is needed the hard way and abandoned) and realizing I have never used the Reveal tool before, I decided to give it a go just for fun.  I backed up my region and used it.  I have to say, it's a bit different to look at your tiny fortress compared to all that open land, but I wanted to dig to the bottom after seeing what all was there.  Not the best idea considering demons and all.
Long story short, demons blew everything away.  I was amazed by one particular dwarf, a regular farmer, who berserked and took out two demons unarmed and alone before a third was finally able to kill her.  It really amazed me after considering I had a ragtag military group come together and all die against two demons.  Tons of fun there.
I thought it'd be great to come back in adventure mode, but couldn't recall where I placed my fortress.  Went into making another fort process just to see where the old one was, found out I couldn't back out, said screw it and threw the site on the shore of an ocean.  I figured I'd dump it or everyone'd die quickly and that'd be that.  I got plopped on the shore, not land, for some reason decided to start digging into the side of the shoreline and once I unpaused I found out that the waves from the ocean were coming all over my wagon, my whole crew, and laughed at all the fun that was going to happen.
Except I was wrong.  I dig in, go down three levels and hit Diorite.  Then the next level, gold.  Bauxite, lignite, bituminus coal, and tetrahedrite are all within ten tiles of each other and now I'm really annoyed with myself for going with a "embark now!" setup because I love this place!  If this fails, I've got to make another embark on a coast.

I can't wait to keep going and find out how great this spot is.  Maybe make a lighthouse or something on the coastline.  I just hope I find some water source soon.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 05:04:01 am by Sarstan »

Trout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I Learned Something New Today
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:01 am »

Isn't DF amazing?

You might want to spoiler that, just FYI.
I don't think losing guts actually kills you, you just throw up and pass out and bleed to death.

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:53:26 am »

Like we all did'nt dig straight for the hfs first thing
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Urist McCyrilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh, the dwarfity!
    • View Profile
    • CyCom! Writing&PnP!
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 03:28:16 am »

Like we all did'nt dig straight for the hfs first thing

You shouldn't look for logic in human behaviour. And even less in Dwarvish behaviour. I second the use of spoiler tags.

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 04:45:07 am »

I went straight for the healthcare. Even though I decided the best way to do this was to learn about the HFS, it was still Healthcare!

Sarstan

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: So I Learned Something New Today (minor spoilers)
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:06:03 am »

Oops, sorry about that.  It's in the title now.  Can't help but enjoy this new area, but now that I've got several dwarves coming in (either I'm getting lucky or immigration has been redone), it's a pain to deal with 'em.  I hope there's an update to one of the manager utilities soon.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 11:44:46 am »

All locations seem to have more minerals in the new version. nothing special to your cost site in that aspect.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 12:15:55 pm »

isn't it not every DF player goal to have a fort down in the sugar mill? and have scientist work on processing that sugar and taming the witches that roam down there?
clowns are 40d we don't got clowns in 31.01 we got witches who scream and claw out your eyes. 
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Ringmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 12:32:23 pm »

I have never used the Reveal tool before

How did you get Reveal to work in DF2010?