Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Slowness in DF2010?  (Read 2777 times)

Duelmaster409

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_FIGHT]
    • View Profile
Slowness in DF2010?
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:24:00 am »

Does anyone else experience a whole lot more slowness in DF2010? Loading games, starting up legends mode, adventure mode, dwarf mode, and generally FPS is lower. What causes this, and why? Does anyone else have these problems?
Dwarf fortress: Teaching uni level geology to sadistic elf killers for years.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Slowness in DF2010?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:47:27 am »

On the lap top its slower for me, otherwise fine.

This is because your computer is processing over 100 Z levels, rather then just 15 like it was before. Takes A LOT more effort for your poor CPU, that's not even mentioning that now there are countless units moving in underground caves.

The Eviscerator of Gods

• Bay Watcher
  • Britannia's finest* paladin**
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 01:05:08 am »

That Toady didn't yet merge 0.31.01 with the open GL release probably doesn't help either.
Tom Cruise never had sex w/ his wife that baby's an alien from Xenu.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 02:04:43 am »

Did u try turning partial print on? for me fps went from bout 30 to over 100 when i did....
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 03:10:30 am »

What Sindain said, and try the accelerator -> http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51957.0
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:52:27 am »

Does anyone else experience a whole lot more slowness in DF2010? Loading games, starting up legends mode, adventure mode, dwarf mode, and generally FPS is lower. What causes this, and why? Does anyone else have these problems?
Not really, and I'm not running an ultra-modern box. I don't - never have - displayed FPS but it's about the same.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 07:28:37 am »

Yeah it is a tiny bit slower, not really noticable even when I found the awesome underground I still had the same fps but it might be that I cap my fps at 50 to make it feel more life like.
What REALLY annoys me is the pathfinding, it just feel broken because when I send some dwarves to do some stuff like build a wall/building 2 z levels down, they go down there, build it and then just KEEP STANDING AROUND even though there are tons of other jobs to do such as healing my dwarf that has his hand cut open by a gigant rat instead of saying "Urist McDoctor/Manson cancels suture patient, patient inaccessible" even though you dont even have burrow assignet to yourself yet and there is a clear way to him!

Yeah I get alot of "can't find path" spam but other than that I love everything esspecially the underground and the randomly generated creatures.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:20:13 am »

A four by four spot with weather, temperature and cave-ins on 28 would usually go at two hundred for me.

On my first attempt, a four by four spot ran only at seventy five, and that's with DF getting all the processor attention. Not to mention I never found the under ground after two whole (IRL) days of digging; this version is already pissing me off.

edit: in a good way if that's possible
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 06:40:52 pm »

A four by four spot with weather, temperature and cave-ins on 28 would usually go at two hundred for me.

On my first attempt, a four by four spot ran only at seventy five, and that's with DF getting all the processor attention. Not to mention I never found the under ground after two whole (IRL) days of digging; this version is already pissing me off.

edit: in a good way if that's possible
The underground is very deep underground, I found the first underground layer at z level 22 so I really think your just not digging deep enough.

And regarding to what I posted, saveing the game and then reloading it seems to fix the problem for 5 mins max but at least it does something.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:15:07 pm »

Yeah, I've had a MASSIVE slowdown from previous versions. I used to get 200 FPS at the beginning and around 20-50 at 200 dwarves. Now I'm getting  0-20 fps with 7, it's a real punch in the fun department when the most boring part of the game is ridiculously long.
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 08:01:50 pm »

Yeah, I've had a MASSIVE slowdown from previous versions. I used to get 200 FPS at the beginning and around 20-50 at 200 dwarves. Now I'm getting  0-20 fps with 7, it's a real punch in the fun department when the most boring part of the game is ridiculously long.

Were you using the openGL version?
Signature goes here.

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:17 pm »

Were you using the openGL version?

I just tried, Partial print makes the game go strobe light on me, and the GL makes it impossible to generate a new world (the game crashes every time). The 10 thousand z-levels probably has something to do with it, but since i can't seem to figure that out, I'll sit out till this version is a bit more refined.

Speaking of problems, the forum also seems F-uped with constant connection losses, and half loaded pages.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:53:33 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:30:26 am »

Hi!

I am a slow player, but I noticed something that may be useful for people:

My first two fortresses were in worlds that were around 50MB in the save files as I had lots of civs. They ran with 200FPS initially, and even after the animal + dwarf population reached 80 and more, I still had 140FPS. Now, I have a 20MB world with much fewer civs around, and even with just 40 inhabitants in my fortress, I only have 92FPS. And in this one, I don't even have the brook I had in the other two fortresses.

My point is, the only possible explanation is there being something underground (waterfall, maybe) that is eating my FPS massively. I mean, it quietly halves my FPS without even giving me a hint (this is the first fortress where I don't have an unnamed animal man civ listed which I have actually not encountered yet (^_^;; ). So, game speed is extremely dependent on your site and probably influenced significantly by the underground features. So, if you have speed problems, you may wish to try genning a few worlds, try a few embarks.

Deathworks

bluephoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 02:59:11 am »

A question to you all: When you play for about 30 mins strait or longer does the pathfinding of your dwarves screw up like with me? As in your dwarves can't find the well or the booze even though it is just one z level up AKA "Urist McDumbass cancles drink, can not find path/item inaccessible". Or the second case where your dwarves just stand around as if walled in even though there are tons of other jobs around to do?

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 08:07:11 am »

Hi!

A question to you all: When you play for about 30 mins strait or longer does the pathfinding of your dwarves screw up like with me? As in your dwarves can't find the well or the booze even though it is just one z level up AKA "Urist McDumbass cancles drink, can not find path/item inaccessible". Or the second case where your dwarves just stand around as if walled in even though there are tons of other jobs around to do?

Nope, not with me. I let the game run for hours at end, and I have seen virtually no pathing problems. Once or twice I saw a dwarf standing somewhere, but even before I could check him, he got moving again. The only time pathing got broken was when I built a wall right in the way they passed to build some weapon traps - one dwarf dropped the menacing spike she was carrying and left for something else to do, but shortly thereafter (one or two minutes), another dwarf picked up the spike and went to finish the job.

Another question related to this is, how many dwarves do you have? Maybe there is some kind of overflow or so involved in those pathing problems people are experiencing. My fortress has pop cap 0, so the initial waves of immigrants brought me to 18 dwarves. With my dwarves finally breeding after 4 years, I have just reached 22 or so dwarves.

Add to this two dozen animals.

How many dwarves (and animals) do you have when you have the pathing problems?

Deathworks
Pages: [1] 2