Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fixing the Soap Maker  (Read 2723 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fixing the Soap Maker
« on: April 04, 2010, 12:19:46 am »

I noticed the Soap Maker's Workshop doesn't show any viable reactions when I check it in-game. I've read elsewhere that it is currently bugged; wanting barrels of lye instead of buckets. The process of getting lye from a barrel into a bucket seems to be pretty lengthy; so why not add in a second reaction to grab it from a bucket?

Now I assume that the 'Building' line in the reactions will tell the workshop to use both as potential targets. Is there anything else I should know about the new reactions?

Edit: Turns out there's more here than we can get at, probably. I made two reactions with unique names, set them under the entity raw to be usable... They're not visible from the workshop itself but I *can* order the Soap Maker to make soap from a bucket of lye!

Unfortunately they don't believe there are any buckets of lye sitting around, despite the fact I have a couple. Dang it. Any ideas? Maybe just making it out of lye, period, will work?

Edit: Changing it to just lye, instead of needing a barrel or a bucket; now the soap maker grabs a thread of plant fiber instead of the lye. Very strange. This is the line I used.

[REAGENT:A:1:LYE:NONE:NONE:NONE]

The other custom reactions have a REACTION_CLASS tag sometimes; would that be appropriate here? Or would something like the Potash one be more appropriate.    [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NONE:POTASH:NONE]   ... I'm not sure what Lye is considered in-game. A liquid?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:25:20 am by Foxbyte »
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Zasit Alebath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://jedvagenij.blog.hr
Re: Fixing the Soap Maker
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 10:07:16 am »

soap itself is now considered glob, just like fat, so i think that is part of the problem. also i think since soap making was changed in the new version, and gypsum plaster was added, it may be the source of the hospital problem.
I deny that I exist, or have ever existed, for any legal purposes, particularly lawsuit.)
'b' is different than 'x' and a Bed doesn't hold back magma as well as a Floodgate no matter how fast you type.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »

soap itself is now considered glob, just like fat, so i think that is part of the problem. also i think since soap making was changed in the new version, and gypsum plaster was added, it may be the source of the hospital problem.

I haven't even gotten a fort to the point I needed a hospital; iron-armored dwarves were pretty tough. Especially when they were wearing four chain shirts and wielding five axes at once. Each.

I'm pretty sure the problem is how the reaction wants the lye. For example, when you make glass it needs a bag of sand, which is an actual item. The bucket of lye, however, isn't an actual item; the lye is inside the bucket's inventory, and the system isn't smart enough to detect this.

If you could make a custom reaction for making lye using the same process that bags of sand are created, it could in theory work.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

profit

• Bay Watcher
  • Finely Crafted Engravings... Or it didn't happen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:02:00 pm »

Honestly.. Why not just take the reagent out, atom smash a couple pieces of wood and call it even?
Mods and the best utilities for dwarf fortress
Community Mods and utilities thread.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 01:04:06 pm »

Lye used to be automatically transferred into barrels when you put it in a stockpile.
Is this no longer the case?
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 01:23:43 pm »

Lye does get placed into barrels eventually. GauHellDragon changed the soap-making reaction to make bars instead of globs, which caused the soap to get stockpiled and also used by the hospital (He said he hadn't noticed the bucket/barrel problem when I asked him about it :P), but once that was done, he had dwarves who tried to use soap for cleaning throwing pathfinding errors. :o

(I asked him to post here, but since he hasn't...)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 03:02:20 pm »

Lye does get placed into barrels eventually. GauHellDragon changed the soap-making reaction to make bars instead of globs, which caused the soap to get stockpiled and also used by the hospital (He said he hadn't noticed the bucket/barrel problem when I asked him about it :P), but once that was done, he had dwarves who tried to use soap for cleaning throwing pathfinding errors. :o

(I asked him to post here, but since he hasn't...)

Does lye get stacked inside of barrels, and if you make soap does the barrel get consumed along with the lye? So far with my test, I've gotten the soap maker to make soap from the buckets of lye... but they use any bucket, lye or no, and then the bucket is consumed. Hrm.

Edit: Yeah the barrel is spared, which is strange considering I pretty much copied the reaction for the bucket variant, which wouldn't work at all. I think the system just can't detect bucket inventory properly, maybe because they don't get renamed like barrels do.

They also wouldn't move the lye into the barrel in Stockpile #1 until I made a Lye-only Stockpile #2, and set it to accept one barrel. And then they moved the lye into the barrel in the former stockpile. Strange.

Another Edit: Soap as a bar will attempt to be used, but always fail and give a pathing error. Soap as a glob will never be used at all, even with containers set up inside of a hospital; the doctor just uses regular water to clean the patients. Soap needs a lot of work, I don't think it's fixable by modding. Heck, if soap is currently set as a glop and is on a floor the dwarves will clean it up and destroy it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:49:45 pm by Foxbyte »