Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Custom Workshop's Question(Pumps)  (Read 1064 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Custom Workshop's Question(Pumps)
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:08 pm »

Is it possible to make a custom pumpstation into something that would train up military skills while used?
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Workshop's Question(Pumps)
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:27:24 am »

Go find out!
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 08:44:16 am »

I'm assuming you've created a new building in build_custom.
I would suggest adding to reaction_other a reaction with no reagents (required materials) and no product, assigned to your custom building (example from file: [BUILDING:KILN:CUSTOM_SHIFT_P]; so for yours, something like [BUILDING:CUSTOM_PUMP:CUSTOM_X], where the X of CUSTOM_X is the hotkey you want to trigger that order), with the tag [SKILL:<whichever skill you want to train>] (example [SKILL:WRESTLING]).

You could create several such 'reactions', one for each type of skill.  Then just go to the building, add the order to use that reaction, and set it to repeat.  Dwarves should churn through that work order, building the skill you assigned to it.

Note that this is all theory.  I haven't tried it.  You may need to fiddle with the skill names.  Also, remember to modify the entity_default file and add [PERMITTED_REACTION:<your custom reaction>] tags to the dwarf entry, telling them they are allowed to do that reaction.

Shintaro Fago

• Bay Watcher
  • discuss safe nourishing non-plant non-animal diets
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:05 am »

^ that or you can create a custom metal bar called for example "Book of Archery" and it would be used both as a reagent and as a product. Would add a bit of flavor to the whole process.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:21:07 am »

^ that or you can create a custom metal bar called for example "Book of Archery" and it would be used both as a reagent and as a product. Would add a bit of flavor to the whole process.

But how do you get one in the first place  :o

Have to wait for dwarves to delivery the coveted training manual?  That would be pretty funny actually.

I could see using a training manual as a requirement for building the workshop, rather than operating it, although either way would be funny.  If it's required to use it, it could be lost/destroyed.  ("Grom, did you use the archery manual to build a wall??").  If it's required to build the workshop, I would also require a length of chain, thus creating the mental image of a workshop with a training manual chained to the bench so no one misplaces it.

Edit:  Hmm... books/training manuals could be an interesting mod.  Create a custom workshop and profession scribe.  You can have a scribe copy books so that you have extras (reagent: 1 book.  Product: 2 books). Then, when you create your training workshop, give the custom reaction there a chance to destroy the book (reagent: 1 book.  Product: 1 book, 90% chance).
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 09:49:57 am by Ilmoran »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 09:44:34 am »

'it menaces with spikes of Archery book'.
Also known as Zuhayr.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:27:38 pm »

huuuun... I've not actually made a custom workshop yet, but I was planning to do so eventually. I'll see if I can get this to work though, first just making the "Library" and seeing if I can get it to work, then I'll try the reagents. Books can be made at the mechanics place using 1 dye and 1 wood or something :P
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:40:18 pm »

Hey, this means we can make workshops like training rooms or something!
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

soul4hdwn

• Bay Watcher
  • make due with what you have
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:42:52 pm »

Hey, this means we can make workshops like training rooms or something!
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=53095.0
already done sorta and a little more of towards the side