Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: There is something in the water..no not the rain bug..not exactly  (Read 1773 times)

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I tapped into an underground river so my forges would have a nice little farm... ok first indecent was a bit to much pressure and flooded it completely so i restarted from my last save and went up 1 floor after succesfully flooding the farm are i have a few dwarfs go in to start working

They all bleed to death, I managed to catch one before she died and  oh isnt that cute her head is melting...

its not always the head of course and they never try to go to the hospital and every last dwarf had "water covering" their whole body and items im not sure if this is because they are both on A floor with magma sea(and above it too) but there where no melting issues before i flooded that room.

Now i am not sure if this directly relates to the acid rain bug or not but i will state that it wasn't raining nor where any dead dwarfs outside at any time.

To test this i sent my military dwarfs to be stationed there all where lost oddly all to head melting starting(or ending) at the upper lip.

animals melt to though its harder to catch them while they are melting

Some dwarfs that survive the initial single body parts melting soon get many parts melting

second batch lasted a little longer in the water..till a tantruming dwarf caused another one to bleed...he melted quickly

theory so far its the blood and the water just moves it around cause 1 dwarf has stood there fine this whole time and pets only seem to last longer cause they actually preform the clean self task

There is blood everywhere o.O

Could also be the mist...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:41:49 pm by Darkseed »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There is something in the water..no not the rain bug..not exactly
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:44:56 pm »

. . . im not sure if this is because they are both on A floor with magma sea(and above it too) but there where no melting issues before i flooded that room.

Perhaps the magma is heating up the water to the point where it cooks their skin off?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:41 pm »

that was one theory but its odd that it require water covering to start it also 2 dwarfs mysteriously survived being stationed there covered in water(but no blood)

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:54:27 pm »

I've got the 'melting' bug going as we speak, no idea what's started it - it hasn't rained in a while, but dwarves are dropping dead while wandering around in the depths of my fort.

Will try and scrape what knowledge I can out of it - they have to cross a bridge over lava to get into the fort but have been doing so for years, the melting just kicked off now.

Edit: It wasn't raining when they died, but according to the log it had just finished raining - then 6 deaths occured.

It started raining again and 5 more deaths - there's a fair few people wandering around the fortress with damaged extremities, head, feet, hands and fingers etc.

Still dwarves are wandering around on tiles next to lava and they're covered in water without suffering any ill effect.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:01:41 am by Nagassh »

Darkseed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 11:57:44 pm »

try to catch them before they melt and see if theyre water covered or if there is blood being moved around by water anywhere they go

Edit: finally killed my settlement those last 2 dwarfs had to be redirected to the pools of blood and grease as the refused to die standing by the mist
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:59:54 pm by Darkseed »

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:06:43 am »

There's been one more death as someone tried to cross the lava bridge, but I've had a series of dwarves behind him walking by covered in water with no ill effects.

There's a lot of blood around the base though - this fort is a reclamation of a previous 90 dwarf fort where 40 of them were killed in seconds by whatever this melting bug is, the rest tantrum spiraled.

Edit: Caught something, checking out a dwarfs (z) screen to see if they're fit for the military, the fat in their right hand is gone - their right hand is there and uninjured though.
And another, injured hands and an uninjured head, but her heads fat is gone.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:29:03 am by Nagassh »

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:43:57 am »

Caught something, checking out a dwarfs (z) screen to see if they're fit for the military, the fat in their right hand is gone - their right hand is there and uninjured though.
And another, injured hands and an uninjured head, but her heads fat is gone.

Maybe the melting point for dwarf fat is set too low? That wouldn't explain how the water is involved though...

DamnedChoir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:55 am »

Humans also melt. This happened to me when I showed up in a desert town in the rain. I immediately started melting along with all the other humans in town. None of the Elves, though, seemed to mind.
The theory of evolution by cumulative natural selection is the only theory we know of that is in principle capable of explaining the existence of organized complexity