Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010 Economy?  (Read 1493 times)

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
2010 Economy?
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:38:35 pm »

Has anyone had the economy kick in yet? I had a Baron appointed by the Mountain homes but rooms all stayed assigned, no one had a cash balance, and I couldn't build shops.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: 2010 Economy?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:39:12 pm »

Has anyone had the economy kick in yet? I had a Baron appointed by the Mountain homes but rooms all stayed assigned, no one had a cash balance, and I couldn't build shops.

You ask this like it's a BAD thing? considering how freaking buggy stuff like military is.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:14:23 am »

You ask this like it's a BAD thing? considering how freaking buggy stuff like military is.
I'm not considering it good or bad. I'm wondering more if the triggering conditions have changed.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:35:40 am »

I'd assume it exists since there's still an option to turn it off in the raws.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:19:50 am »

Which I always do. I hate the economy. If my fortress can survive and thrive without it, why bother enabling it? All I do is make things harder on everyone.

And since this is Dwarf Fortress and not the real world and I don't have to deal with scarcity in the same way, there's no downside!
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 02:28:13 am »

The economy is just a lot of fun. It's nice to have the immigrants everyone seems to rage on sleep in the barracks while your legendary workers get beautiful rooms.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 02:31:24 am »

Yeah, it's still in the game, just don't know what triggers it anymore. I know Toady wanted to make things so that you required coins for things to run properly (i.e. Dwarves would get upset by not having coins) but I ran around as a Barony for almost two hours before HFS ended the fort and no Economy.

It's sounding like either everyone has it turned off for spite or no one's had it trigger yet.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 02:43:23 am »

Hi!

I just want to toss this into the discussion for those interested. (I myself play with low-population fortresses, so my chances of getting the fancy nobility and economy are slim - but I am curious about it actually.)

Toady One mentioned that he moved the nobles into the raws in this release and I was able to verify that they are indeed in the raws, in the entity file. However, I was not really able to figure out which noble was directly related to the economy, or what their requirements would be (though the tax collector has a devious ring to it). So, I suggest that those interested in this may investigate the raws (or is that considered inappropriate?).

Deathworks

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 03:47:10 am »

The economy is just a lot of fun. It's nice to have the immigrants everyone seems to rage on sleep in the barracks while your legendary workers get beautiful rooms.
Well, I'm a fan of everyone having the same opportunity. Everyone can earn such a room, not just legendary workers. I've rewarded new migrants with a beautifully huge room for doing something awesome. (In one particular case, coming onto the map and immediately strangling the dragon that had been poking around for two years.)
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 07:57:38 am »

According to the raws, it seems to be the Tax Collector.
Code: [Select]
[POSITION:TAX_COLLECTOR]
[NAME:tax collector:tax collectors]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:COLLECT_TAXES]

I assume the [RESPONSIBILITY:COLLECT_TAXES] tag triggers the economy.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 08:45:51 am »

Well, I'm a fan of everyone having the same opportunity. Everyone can earn such a room, not just legendary workers. I've rewarded new migrants with a beautifully huge room for doing something awesome. (In one particular case, coming onto the map and immediately strangling the dragon that had been poking around for two years.)
Well this game is a fantasy town sim. I believe the DF universe is a hard, dark world where you have to fight to survive. Especially as your little outpost starts to grow.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:00:36 am »

According to the raws, it seems to be the Tax Collector.
Code: [Select]
[POSITION:TAX_COLLECTOR]
[NAME:tax collector:tax collectors]
[SITE]
[NUMBER:1]
[RESPONSIBILITY:COLLECT_TAXES]

I assume the [RESPONSIBILITY:COLLECT_TAXES] tag triggers the economy.
You know, since the game no longer forces any assignment on you except Expedition Leader you probably have to assign a tax collector once you have a Barony. I wasn't in the swing of making noble assignments in that fort, but my current one is a few steps away from migrating down to the magma for some endless fuel, which should kick off a super explosion of wealth.

I can't believe I didn't remember this, but it's actually the Tax Collector that triggered the economy in 40d, not the Baron, it's just that they didn't arrive until you had a Barony. I've only had it kick in once ever and I remember being a bit confused that it didn't start when I got a Baron, but then I got the message a few minutes later when a Tax collector arrived.