Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Adding shells  (Read 2615 times)

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adding shells
« on: April 03, 2010, 11:35:20 pm »

Okay so I just had a dwarf go into a mood and he's demanding shells, thing is my starting civ never had turtles and I took cave lobster though I guess they don't drop shells. How do I mod an existing creature so it drops shells upon being butchered or some other thing that will produce shells?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Adding shells
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 12:08:28 am »

did you try preparing the lobster?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 12:20:07 am »

did you try preparing the lobster?
I seem to recall the turtles dropping the shells regardless of if they were eaten raw or cooked, then again I hadn't played in a long time before the new release. And no I didn't cook the lobster, way to late to set kitchens up for that.

Ohtar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 01:02:18 am »

The new release made it so that shells are obtained only through the fishery, I believe. Fish cleaning Lobster or Turtle leaves the bones and the shell.
"He who fights with monsters should take care lest he become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you…"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 09:55:16 am »

Great... so no go and modding something else to produce shells? Well I guess I could crack open that cavern with all the water and hope theres something good to fish...

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 10:20:53 am »

I think you can mod in other things to have shells. You'll need to do this to the target creature [probably, haven't tested this]:

1: Add SHELL to the BODY tag
2: Add the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] tag to the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] section
3: Add the [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] tag to the [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] section
4: Add the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SHELL_POSITIONS] tag to the creature.

That should give the target creature a shell, though you'll still have to get the shell through the same way you would otherwise, which is apparently fish cleaning (for vermin-type creatures) or butchery (for larger creatures)

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 10:46:47 am »

I've heard anecdotes that large, butcher-able creatures with shells will produce usable shell items when butchered.

Hardest part is finding a butcher-able creature with shells. You could always make one if you're feeling brave, or make snail-people butcher-able.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 10:50:16 am »

I think you can mod in other things to have shells. You'll need to do this to the target creature [probably, haven't tested this]:

1: Add SHELL to the BODY tag
2: Add the [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] tag to the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS] section
3: Add the [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] tag to the [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SHELL:SHELL_TEMPLATE] section
4: Add the [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:SHELL_POSITIONS] tag to the creature.

That should give the target creature a shell, though you'll still have to get the shell through the same way you would otherwise, which is apparently fish cleaning (for vermin-type creatures) or butchery (for larger creatures)
Okay I'll try that, I'll mod it into the dogs or the cougars (war cougars!) I've got. That reminds me I need to make sure those cougars can breed...

edit:Ah ha! It worked! Besides being distracted by family for a bit when I got back to this I fiddled trying to find the correct places, I was looking at b_detail_plan_default and tissue_template_default obj files, and it wasn't until I looked at the snailman's entry that I relized the correct places. Did it and now I've got a cougar shell that the guy is moving towards. Thanks, now I know that much more about modding animals. Though I suppose it adds more defense to them as well?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:00:08 pm by userpay »

FACM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 01:35:05 pm »

It probably will. Not sure what the shell position is, but it's another body part to hit, and probably reasonably strong. I wouldn't expect it to last a couple hits against steel or adamantine, but it should help make the creature stronger.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 01:37:44 pm »

Still an amusing thought, cougars with shells. What exactly does the war training do anyway?

GenericOverusedName

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 02:36:15 pm »

If war training works the same as it did in the previous version, it makes their attacks deal 4x more damage. But, combat has been changed, so it might do something else.

Also, it allows you to assign the war animal to a specific dwarf. It'll act like a pet, but it'll also kill whatever meanie comes near it, instead of running away like a normal pet would.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 02:43:03 pm »

Ya wasn't sure about what it did besides make it more likely to fight, hmm so I guess I'll see whether cougars (with shells) are better than dogs then. Still waiting for one to give birth.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 12:40:23 pm »

How would I make a non-fish vermin which produces shells?

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 12:56:16 pm »

I'm not 100% sure about this, but you should be able to add the raws to it like you would for any other creature, right?

I was able to add it to cows (Needs more cow shell... oh ho ho) with no problem, though of course they aren't vermin.

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

It's completely different for vermin, I think.  As is, if a vermin dies, you only get a vermin corpse, and I think only fish can be dissected into multiple objects.  The best I can think of is either a custom reaction that consumes a vermin to produce shells, or using a tag to produce a shell on death (like with a bronze colossus)
Pages: [1] 2