Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 57229 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #240 on: May 27, 2010, 01:21:00 pm »

Bunny's eloquent post.

Eloquently put.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: May 28, 2010, 12:28:30 pm »

Returning to our discussion then, I'd favour the option to make a zone for dwarfy ablutions.  That allows the option to set a small zone outside away from the fortress for early on, and allows for more complex channels over running water drainage systems, toilets over pits, toilets over lava, toilets ovewr noble chambers...

I know it kind of prevents the option for crafting awesome adamantine chamber pots menacing with spikes of elf bone and adorned with hanging rings of cat leather, but I can see it as the easiest way to work waste in without causing too much game disruption.

Thoughts?
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 28, 2010, 06:31:46 pm »

Yes. Anyway, there are better things to do with things made of adamantine than shitting in them :P
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 28, 2010, 07:24:17 pm »

Returning to our discussion then, I'd favour the option to make a zone for dwarfy ablutions.  That allows the option to set a small zone outside away from the fortress for early on, and allows for more complex channels over running water drainage systems, toilets over pits, toilets over lava, toilets ovewr noble chambers...

I know it kind of prevents the option for crafting awesome adamantine chamber pots menacing with spikes of elf bone and adorned with hanging rings of cat leather, but I can see it as the easiest way to work waste in without causing too much game disruption.

Thoughts?
Agreed. But you should also be able to build and place toilets over these zones to give dwarves a happy thought from using them.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 28, 2010, 07:43:33 pm »

Just gonna put it out there, one of the power goals involves the player going into a sewer.
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 28, 2010, 07:51:40 pm »

I support adding poo to the game, on the grounds of historical precident, effects on the new health care system, and late game issues resulting from a 200 dwarf fortress producing 200/7 poo every so often.

I particularly support this version of poo, is it seems workable, has the possiblity of causing infections by contaminating water sources, and could give us this:

Powergoal: An Elven siege descends upon you after years of fruitful trading with them. They claim the waste you flush into the river has caused an epidemic that has nearly wiped out their people. Grimly, you pull the lever that simultaneously seals the fort and opens the retracting bridges built 50 z-levels up, where you have been pumping what waste you haven't been using to subtly murder the Elves. Many horrified Elves drown as an amount of filth nine embark tiles square, and ten z-levels deep, falls on their heads. Sadly, you failed to notice a misplaced channel, and your fort slowly floods. By the time you notice, it is too late.

Your fortress has crumbled away to ruin.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 08:18:07 pm by rickvoid »

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 28, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »

Powergoal: An Elven siege descends upon you after years of fruitful trading with them. They claim the waste you flush into the river has caused an epidemic that has nearly wiped out their people.
Awesome.
Grimly, you pull the lever that simultaneously seals the fort and opens the retracting bridges built 50 z-levels up, where you have been pumping what waste you haven't been using to subtly murder the Elves. Many shocked Elves drown as and amouint of filth nine embark tiles square and 10 deep falls on their heads. Sadly, you failed to notice a misplaced channel, and you fort slowly floods. By the time you notice it is too late.
Your fortress has crumbled away to ruin.
Rather uncreative and boring. But the first part was awesome.
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 28, 2010, 08:14:33 pm »

We've heard from the first judge, let's hear what the others have to say!

Edit: Gonna fix those typos, cause DAMN.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 28, 2010, 08:28:36 pm »

We'll let awesome stuff with poo happen when poo comes. For the moment lets just focus on why poo can be considered to be a valid inclusion.
I can think of fertilization for farming, a waste management issue dwarves (like any other remotely civilized civilization needs to deal with), healthcare/infections/diseases/validating soap, and it can be a reason for dwarves to be (un)happy. (personal toilet vs public toilet vs no toilet etc,...)

That said, the game has freaking vomit for gods sake, you naysayers make me sick.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 28, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »

Fertilzer for farms.

Unless you're going to have plants grown in sewage cause syndromes, or require the sewage be treated first, no. That shit is why we have to check and make sure our veggies and fruits aren't from Mexico, because they grow it with human waste. Bad bad bad.

I support it's use as a potential fuel source, however, provided it releases a toxic gas when burned.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 28, 2010, 10:55:05 pm »

My vote: move along. DF doesn't need this. I hope you don't get what you want, so that I never have to futz with modding it out (or worse, I can't).
quibキble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 28, 2010, 11:01:25 pm »

I can't wait for "mucus" to be implemented!
A dwarf with "allergies" could create an abundance of mucus when exposed to certain types of plants, foods, or animals!
I could make a mucus moat!  YAY!
It will be awesome.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2010, 04:45:23 am »

Yeah, in practice the wholefertiliser thing not so good...

but it could add a layer of realism to tannery work... and primitive civs could use wattle and daub to make their above ground huts...

My vote: move along. DF doesn't need this. I hope you don't get what you want, so that I never have to futz with modding it out (or worse, I can't).

I appreciate your opinion.  What, specifically, are your objections to this?

madrain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2010, 05:09:14 am »

I want sewage simply so I can have open holes 4 z levels above the prisoners' holding cells.  Take that, goblins!

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2010, 06:17:59 am »

I can't wait for "mucus" to be implemented!
A dwarf with "allergies" could create an abundance of mucus when exposed to certain types of plants, foods, or animals!
I could make a mucus moat!  YAY!
It will be awesome.

That would add more depth to the sickness things we now have... and give gamers another level on which to check for sickness.  Certainly I would prefer my dorfs all get snotty than find the fat boiling from their feet and causing them to bleed out...
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 27