Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 57224 times)

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #210 on: May 24, 2010, 02:51:02 pm »

I heartily endorse this suggestion, more specifically this version of it.  Personally I can see zoning a latrine being easiest, but I have to admit that adding a floor of specially crafted sewage systems below the living quarters would be SO COOL.
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2010, 03:57:44 pm »

I'd really hate for dwarf fortress to have sewage.  The main reason is reputation.  Dwarf fortress is currently known as "the game with insane dwarves and magma."  That's awesome.  I don't want people to say, about dwarf fortress "Yeah it's that game with shit demons."

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 24, 2010, 04:10:19 pm »

I wonder if you could use poop as an Artifact material. I wonder what the artifact's value would be.
ALL FEAR MY SWORD OF DISEASE

From what the OP said, poo would not be a material, just a water containment. That means no throwing poop from catapults, no building walls of sewage, no masterwork shit thrones. Just an abstracted 'filth' tile that moves from your latrine to your sewage disposal unit. I repeat my earlier argument:

The people who don't want this are fine with tearing elves limb from limb, locking nobles in their rooms to starve or drown, painfully melting the fat off dwarves with magma to make them fireproof and tearing goblins guts out and dumping them in a public garbage pit but a little brown tilde that denotes waste water is just to much? You have really screwed up priorities. You're literally saying an ASCII representation of 4chan gore pictures is better than an ASCII representation of a piece of poop.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 24, 2010, 04:14:15 pm »

I guess they're just being anal-retentive.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 24, 2010, 04:15:10 pm »

I already count three layers to that joke, one of which I hadn't considered. Can anyone come up with four?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 24, 2010, 04:33:10 pm »

I'd really hate for dwarf fortress to have sewage.  The main reason is reputation.  Dwarf fortress is currently known as "the game with insane dwarves and magma."  That's awesome.  I don't want people to say, about dwarf fortress "Yeah it's that game with shit demons."

not to sound trite, but known by whom?  The only people I know who have so much as heard of DF are fellow DFers and the few people I've told about it, who think of DF as "that weird game Bunny is always confusing us about".  Everyone else thinks "what?".
Ph地glui mglw地afh Cthulhu R値yeh wgah-nagl ftaghn

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 24, 2010, 07:23:22 pm »

The insane dwarves isn't even a mechanic of the game. It is a community play style and perception that gets shoved around as a meme, like all the elf hating and "APPLY MAGMA HUR HUR HUR". Dwarf Fortress, according to Toady, is a complete fantasy world generator.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 25, 2010, 12:14:35 am »

Yeah, that interesting indie-game with the babies used as body armor by their mothers, and a game mode devoted entirely to gouging out the eyes of children, but god help me if they ever put shit in it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

PhoenicIan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 25, 2010, 02:32:24 am »

I don't want fecal matter/sewage in DF because I (no pun intended) have enough shit to handle already without handling, well, dwarves pooping.

Let's get bug fixes handled first so I can play 31.0x reliably (I'm still on 40d) before we worry about adding more stuff that, to me, basically seems "cosmetic".
With apostrophes,
Rastaan angers PhoenicIan.
To my amusement.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 25, 2010, 02:42:15 am »

Wow, this is getting nasty. Haha.

I don't want fecal matter/sewage in DF because I (no pun intended) have enough shit to handle already without handling, well, dwarves pooping.

Let's get bug fixes handled first so I can play 31.0x reliably (I'm still on 40d) before we worry about adding more stuff that, to me, basically seems "cosmetic".

I agree, but one of the advantages of forums is that they are sort of like a book and can be looked over for ideas people have already thought of when the time is right to implement them. Why ask people to stop discussing an idea when it's not hurting anything but the last thread on the first page? So far we've had a bunch of interesting ideas about dwarf fortress poop pop up. While some things might make Toady cringe when he thinks of what he is giving to us weirdos, I think as much openness as possible, stuff like poop,is what has helped this game's popularity and as such we should continue to pursue amusing avenues of thought that lead to however DF poop is implemented.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:43:47 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Ketsa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 25, 2010, 06:31:36 am »

no. bad idea. next.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2010, 10:20:26 am »

no. bad idea. next.

stunning. rhetorical argument. convinces.

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2010, 10:40:17 am »

I already count three layers to that joke, one of which I hadn't considered. Can anyone come up with four?

Don't force it, that's not healthy.

:D
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2010, 01:21:37 pm »

Don't force it, that's not healthy.

:D

Ooooh-hohoho. Brofist for that one.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2010, 01:26:07 pm »

voted for this. you people have no idea how much i want this. making indestructible forts is way too easy, it could use some complication.
YOU RESURRECTED THE THREAD MAKING IT COME IN MY UNREAD THREADS. YOU MADE MEH UNHAPPEH >:(
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 27