Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 57216 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2010, 06:33:06 am »

Remember, didn't Toady say there will be sewage?
I present just as much supporting evidence as you. Watch this.
But he definitely said something about the subject, year or two ago. We should summon Footkerchief to find exact quote

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2010, 06:57:24 am »

he said he didn't like the idea, but at a later date he mentioned he might consider a sensible implementation

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2010, 06:59:15 am »

Hi!

... and given the directions most people seem to take on this when being pro the idea, I don't think we will see him change his mind any time soon.

Deathworks

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 03, 2010, 08:02:03 am »

i agree.

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #184 on: May 03, 2010, 08:32:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rather than seeking this feature be put into the game, I suggest you all ask for the ability to be able to mod in complex features like this.
I really don't think we need it. There are plenty of other features that would satiate your demand for fun.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 03, 2010, 10:29:58 am »

I still don't understand how people can come up with an idea, sensibly, with ideas to support it, for a couple of people to go "WELL I DON'T LIKE IT SO NONE OF YOU CAN HAVE IT".

Init option, end of.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 03, 2010, 10:36:23 am »

I still don't understand how people can come up with an idea, sensibly, with ideas to support it, for a couple of people to go "WELL I DON'T LIKE IT SO NONE OF YOU CAN HAVE IT".
It's not like that, it's like, if Toady will start implenting this feature, all the don't-like-guys will have to wait for some more fun and more interesting features. Also i double aski for the ability to mod in complex features like this thread.
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 03, 2010, 11:47:31 am »

I'm going to use the personal pronoun a lot, but don't take it personally. You know who I'm talking to. You, you hypersensitive emo crybaby.

It's not like that, it's like, if Toady will start implenting this feature, all the don't-like-guys will have to wait for some more fun and more interesting features. Also i double aski for the ability to mod in complex features like this thread.
Features like?

The problem is this is a false dilemma. It is easy to say if we do X we can't do something better than X during that time, and produce an argument based on opportunity costs. However, there's absolutely no substance to that argument unless something better than X is possible at that time. So assuming Toady completes universally desirable goals in the coming months, like pathing optimization, dwarven AI improvements, framerate increases; then we get to the point where he says, "Okay, what neat new fun feature shall I put in for the next release?"

Lighting? Improved farming? Multiple liquid types? Improved diplomacy? Dwarven firefighting?

A lot of people want all of these things. Hopefully all of them will come into being. But 'filth' isn't a standalone suggestion. It requires multiple liquid types, mixing dynamics, and some new dwarven AI processes. So the question is no longer "Should Toady add filth instead of improving diplomacy", it becomes "Could I wait an extra couple weeks on the 'multiple liquid types' update for the sake of init-toggled filth?"

And when you consider the number of people who do want init-toggled filth, and the likely impossibility to simply make this a mod given that it adds new dwarven thoughts, I think you'll realize its selfish to deny a large group what they want so you can have the next item down the pipe a few weeks sooner.

So lets stop with this 'opportunity cost' argument. Debate actual improvements or reductions of the quality of the game based upon the suggestion made and not on irrational, imagined outcomes other players might make in their games. Especially since half of these childish toilet-humor antics the detractors are filling the discussion with aren't possible given the suggestion. You can't make barrels out of the filth I've suggested. You can't build walls out of the filth I've suggested. Drowning goblins in sewage is possible, as would drowning them in blood, ale, burning oil, vomit, antman ichor, pus, or tentacle demon goo (after all, if filth is tied to multiple liquids, quite a few liquids will be coming into play and few of these are even more profane than bowel movements).

So do you have any real complaints? Like "Dwarves already spend too much time not working" or "Given contaminant tracking, I don't think grime should be spread all over the fortress without some improvements to cleaning"? Because those are real concerns. Not "I don't find it fun" or "I feel its grotesque and immature".
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 03, 2010, 12:24:58 pm »

Sewage would be great.  I tend to run out of luxuries to make for my dwarves.  It would be nice to have more things to add on to the fortress, rather than an even bigger dining room.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 03, 2010, 05:06:27 pm »

Honestly, the level of resistance to this idea, in my opinion, means that sewage should be Liberaly religated to a mod.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 03, 2010, 07:02:47 pm »

Honestly, the level of resistance to this idea, in my opinion, means that sewage should be Liberaly religated to a mod.

Well, the problem is that making a sewage mod is probably not possible. Consider, the suggestion I posted includes a new building, new dwarven biological values to track, new dwarven thought processes, new room designations, new dwarven task prioritizing, a new job, a new liquid, new liquid dynamics, and new sewer monsters. Now, Toady could probably whip all this stuff up since he has the source and the raw technical know-how, but the mod community doesn't have the source, and I have yet to see moddable thoughts, rooms, etc etc. Believe me, if I thought it were something that could be modded in I'd just make the mod myself and claim all the laurels and accolades so related. But while DF modders can tinker with the engine in this car, we can't make this gasoline car run on diesel. We need a new engine from the factory or some really powerful tools. And something tells me Toady won't release that sort of power to us, so we just have to ask nicely for the changes we want.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2010, 10:34:48 pm »

out of curiosity, is this thread intended to reach the mind of Toady so that he considers adding sewage, or simply to discuss the possibility with the community?
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Krath

• Bay Watcher
  • I dig giant robots.
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2010, 10:48:45 pm »

I wouldn't mind sewage if you could toggle it in the init file. Mandatory cleaning up of pooing dwarves? Not thanks.
Jizzar sounds some kinda celestial object made of jizz~
Like a quasar or something~

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2010, 03:37:18 am »

I wouldn't mind sewage if you could toggle it in the init file. Mandatory cleaning up of pooing dwarves? Not thanks.
Which would still leave you with mandatory cleaning up of blood, mandatory cleaning up of vomit, mandatory cleaning up of mud, mandatory cleaning up of FB's extracts...

joshdw4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2010, 05:21:59 am »

Isn't poop already in the game? My refuse pile is full of little number 2's.

Bum-dum-ching
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27