Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55697 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 02:41:55 pm »

I built a little latrine off my tower, just to show how its done.

OH GOD! THATS REVOLTING! I SHOULD HAVE SPOILERED IT!

*projectile vomits all over the place, giving all forum readers vomit smears and painting the map green*

Oh... oh man. Sorry. Ugh. *spit* *HAWWWWCK* *spit*

Thats just too much. I'm sorry to have ever posted this.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 02:43:36 pm by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 02:46:32 pm »

If you didn't write anything in that post, I wouldn't even know what it was.

Also, what's so disgusting about a toilet? OMGEEEE YOU USE A TOILET YOU DISGUSTING PERSON!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2010, 03:31:22 pm »

Just let them all shit in the magma lake and let it be over with. Nothing like the smell of baked turds in the morning.

But on a more serious note I imagine it like you could have them just crap into a ditch as the norm. OR you can build a sewer underneath with a single channeled hole above where you can construct a -rock toilet- over it. There they can sit and crap with leisure, good thoughts if it's a nice toilet, bad thought if miasma gets up and people can easily see you. Really bad though if the dwarf is shy and taking a dump in the middle of the meeting area as people walk past.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2010, 03:45:20 pm »

I noticed that he in fact proposes additional liquid (water, magma and filth). I would like really, really to have magma and water in raws. Of course, main problem in programming of this would be rules of mixing various liquids and additional effects of liquids (like conditions of creation and what happens when is 1/7, 2/7 etc). Then mod in any crap (literally and figuratively) to heart's content.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 03:55:58 pm »

Toady has mentioned wanting to improve liquid handling, not only in flow CPU efficiency but how liquids mix and otherwise interact. I imagine this can be showcased in sewer systems as a game element with flammable oil and acid as other liquids. Getting liquids into the raws is perfectly all right by me, and probably a precursor. However we can't simply 'mod this in', since it affects dwarven behaviors and requires an activity zone. That's really why I'm mentioning it.

Filth could very well settle to the bottom of filthy water and just require flow to keep it moving along, but the purpose of water in sewers would be to stop the miasma formation.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2010, 04:00:46 pm »

*projectile vomits all over the place, giving all forum readers vomit smears and painting the map green*

That sarcasm wasn't clever in the slightest.

!!Zombie Carp!!

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes... you must give cooookieesss...
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 04:08:42 pm »

Heck, you might even dump it outside of a fortress walls, instead of building a sweage system.

O_O

'Filth' catapults, anyone?
[pizza=omnomnom]

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2010, 04:12:55 pm »

I think it's a really, really good idea. You could have traps to drown goblins in crap, and stuff... It would havee to be done well so that it would basically just be cleaned up automatically, and you shouldnt have to make toilet paper and stuff, so basically it would just cause bad thoughts and maybe infections...
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2010, 04:30:52 pm »

Considering that DF is a management sim regarding medieval-esque civilization, I think waste management is honestly an incredibly essential part of it.

People do not like to talk about it because it is "icky", but the art of getting your waste products as far away from your citizen's noses is something that has been a trail throughout history. Rome built great sewers, the Gauls had their cesspits, and modem day cities have an entire layer of infrastructure dedicated to them to manage human waste. It's kept away from our sight because it is unpleasant to us, but that does not mean it's not a critical part of our lifestyle.

Waste management impacts health, standards of living, and touches on all aspects of society. To leave it out is to take away one of history's unsung struggles.

There should be an init function to disable it, sure, but it shouldn't be ignored. What's an adventure story without a trek through the monster infested city sewers?

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »

I would love to leave a dwarf with all kinds of ghastly cuts and wounds wallowing in the fortress' filth. See what kinds of pus and whatnot bubble up from them.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2010, 05:22:38 pm »

That sarcasm wasn't clever in the slightest.
Oh that was sarcasm...
Sarcasm fail. Next time buy the SARCASM punctuation mark.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2010, 07:01:12 pm »

As much as OP sucks at sarcasm, I completely agree with him; this would be a great addition to the game with the new materials and healthcare system. As long as it's an init setting, there's no reason for people to be objected to it.

Speaking of: why exactly ARE people objected to it? This is a game where decapitated elf heads are nothing gruesome and people have to make incredible arcane accommodations to avoid having their entire population torn apart by carp, which is an option that's not even changeable. How can you complain about a setting that adds (what is to some) a valuable feature?
puppywhirrrrrrl

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2010, 07:03:40 pm »

Carp can't tear apart ANYTHING anymore.

Also, I have to say, blood and guts is much more disgusting than "filth".
I mean, it's even labeled as the respective body parts.

Its not like this "filth" has to be labeled Dwarven Poop.

Maulrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2010, 07:19:36 pm »

Carp can't tear apart ANYTHING anymore.

They can't?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
puppywhirrrrrrl

Randomone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2010, 07:32:38 pm »

You know we still want to attract people to the game, right?

It's hard enough getting people to play with ASCII graphics, a learning curve that resembles a cliff, and an overwhelming amount of depth paired with a clunky interface, the last thing we need are things like this.

As an already experienced player though, I'm all for it! ;D
When it crashes the game, its a bug, when it causes mass homicide, its a feature.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27