Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55685 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2010, 07:32:58 pm »

Carp can't tear apart ANYTHING anymore.

They can't?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Carp cancels swim: Hunting Maulrus
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

tylor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2010, 07:43:00 pm »

There is a sex and restrooms in The sims, which is a graphical family game. It's not too graphical there, but it is thee, it is an integral part of gameplay, and it is implemented in rather realistic way. So I don't see how this would be too disgusting for DF.

And if player is too lasy to make restrooms and sewers, dwarves will just poop outside on on farm's soil.  It would be somewhat time-consuming, unsafe (in first case) and sometimes smelly (in the latter), but dwarves are used to that.

And most importantly, how would dwarves properly express their feelings about raging titan running their way, if soiling pants is not implemented?

grognoglog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2010, 07:48:20 pm »

Count me as pro poop.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2010, 10:30:19 pm »

I am in favor of this suggestion.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

jplur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.parker-portfolio.com
« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2010, 01:34:16 am »

I'm for this if other liquids like blood and booze become flow-able like water eventually.

Not looking forward to all the fecal-death-trap threads however.
I ended up finding out you can speed up pregnancies by changing the mother to a cat to knock them up and changing back before labor

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 07, 2010, 01:56:34 am »

I'm for this if other liquids like blood and booze become flow-able like water eventually.

They did stuff like that in the medieval times ::)
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #96 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:37 am »

Carp can't tear apart ANYTHING anymore.

Also, I have to say, blood and guts is much more disgusting than "filth".
I mean, it's even labeled as the respective body parts.

Its not like this "filth" has to be labeled Dwarven Poop.

No no, it can't just be filth - if it's added it has to be all out and on par with the rest of the game. Dwarven Feces with a quality attributed to the dwarve's health and diet. Then we can have piles of ☼Dwarven Feces☼ in the grass, a product of our legendary food and healthcare system. Passing dwarves will get the thought "Has admired a lovely pile of feces recently." and diplomats will spread tales far and wide about the quality of the fort's excrement, causing immigration to increase and goblins to siege the fort.

On a slightly more serious note, if filth IS added - would animals also produce it? Imagine the horror of the catsplosion if they also produced miasma inducing filth. Hey, theres another use for sand - litter boxes!
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 07, 2010, 02:21:15 am »

I could see larger livestock species such as cattle generating filth, which would be a good reason to keep them out in a pen on the surface. But no, in general animals wouldn't need to generate filth. The real goal is sewers etc. and dwarves using them, because this adds depth to fortress design. All animals generating massive piles of dung wouldn't add more depth. Besides, cleaning up cat shit is something I have to do every couple weeks anyway (OKAY! I get it! You want me to change the litterbox! Couldn't you do this on tile, dammit!). I would imagine it leaves me only mildly annoyed compared to taking a massive, steaming deuce in the living room and wandering off to the vodka stockpile, since my wife is the one with cleaning enabled. I stick to carpentry and masonry.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2010, 02:24:38 am »

They did stuff like that in the medieval times ::)

Just think what nasty infections this could cause to injured creatures...
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2010, 06:54:03 am »

I bet when this is implemented the goblins will have a bit of a... shit day! Badum-tsh!
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2010, 07:47:25 am »

You know we still want to attract people to the game, right?

It's hard enough getting people to play with ASCII graphics, a learning curve that resembles a cliff, and an overwhelming amount of depth paired with a clunky interface, the last thing we need are things like this.

As an already experienced player though, I'm all for it! ;D

I have a sneaking suspicion that sewage may actually have the opposite effect, sir. You may be surprised at how many people are playing this game largely because we can butcher elf children at will, or make kitten biscuits.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 07, 2010, 08:17:19 am »

I bet when this is implemented the goblins will have a bit of a... shit day! Badum-tsh!
*Applauds*
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2010, 10:25:12 am »

*Applauds*
*Bows* Thank you, thank you, I'm here all night!
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2010, 12:56:32 am »

All things considered, this idea isn't half bad.
The automatic scaling is the important thing, because it gives a chance for someone to build up a bit before running into these problems.

The greatest problem with the idea, other than the admitted potential of added complexity, is the addition of a new "fluid". I think this idea can be handled adequately with the new contaminants system.

And, of course, the init option would be necessary...

But all things considered, this is the best way this particular concept has been presented, and I'm for it.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

immibis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2010, 01:20:39 am »

The greatest problem with the idea, other than the admitted potential of added complexity, is the addition of a new "fluid". I think this idea can be handled adequately with the new contaminants system.
If it's just a contaminant, we can't pump it, use it to trigger pressure plates, etc. Think of the possibilities if it was - you could drown elves in pure sewage (although they're less useless in 0.31.01) instead of just drowning them in water contaminated with sewage!
If I wanted ramps I would've designated ramps, dammit!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 27