Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55642 times)

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #60 on: April 06, 2010, 01:35:21 am »

You can't juggle TOO MANY THINGS at once, or the level of challenge will surpass the learning ability of the player, creating frustration as things go to hell. We already have that problem due to the horrible interface, adding something like this before the interface is COMPLETELY overhauled is asking for trouble.
Wel then 'mister scientist', that's what the init's for! You can turn of economy, invaders and even temperature. Just a little option for those who want to take fortress design to the next level!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Nogford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2010, 04:33:49 am »

It's actually astounding that people are complaining about poo being too icky for them to handle in an ASCII game. The level of immaturity here is staggering.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2010, 04:40:18 am »

I know, right? I mean, here I am handling real poo. Thing called a diaper. They're in both your past and your future. Maybe in your future twice.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2010, 05:10:30 am »

While we're at it...

Let's drop the whole Dwarves reproducing via spores and add dwarven intercourse. Complete with "Intercourse reports" about every step and every move taken within. Wouldn't that be something you want to read?

Heck, why not add corresponding skills? Soon there'll be a lot of legendary thrusters and fondlers in your fortresses. Of course we'd have to handle dwarves dumping their clothes AND picking them up afterwards properly first.

Also, that'd need a certain set of body parts to be added to dwarves... with the unfortunate but necessary result of not being able to multiply if these specific body parts were mangled or removed in combat situations.

I forsee a lot of hilarious bugs about this addition.

And yes, I wrote this whole thing while giggling like a schooldwarfette.
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2010, 06:17:08 am »

Let's drop the whole Dwarves reproducing via spores and add dwarven intercourse.
Thats another needed feature, yes. But i believe its not related to sewers/waste.
Of course we'd have to handle dwarves dumping their clothes AND picking them up afterwards properly first.
Cloth? Who needs that? True dorf dont bother with that and just wear his steel platemail on nude body. And, obviously, have intercourse in it as well, with his favorite named axe under pillow.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2010, 08:58:24 am »

It's actually astounding that people are complaining about poo being too icky for them to handle in an ASCII game. The level of immaturity here is staggering.

I must agree with you sir. It's just make-believe dung that can spice up gameplay, we're not asking you to look at all the gory details or go and work in a sewage disposal facility... although designing one involving elves may be rather fun.

The handling of excrement (or filth) was, and remains to be, an incredibly important part of the survival of societies. Just look at Europe in the 19th century, what with all the cholera moving around because dung was just piled in the streets. In fact, cholera, a disease spread by contaminated water, eventually contributed to the many reforms in British society, and effectively forced the government to make the island a far better place.

It's not like people only have bottoms when they enter their bathrooms.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:02:48 am by Owlbread »

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2010, 09:46:46 am »

With all the blood and fat and vomit that's already filling my fort I can't really oppose this.

Also the possibility of placing the latrine above the less useful nobles quarters and locking them in while it gradually fills appeals to me.

clarithium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2010, 10:01:35 am »

I really like this idea. Besides the idea of drowning goblins in poop, it adds a pretty large amount of complexity to the architecture for those of us who enjoy that.

It seems easy to program in, could be complex or simple, and an INI option can disable it for those who can't handle it.

I hope toady sees this thread.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2010, 10:07:08 am »

The question is... how would it be done?

I see a few possibilities: The first one would be a toilet furniture piece, that lets filth drop down one level, where it might be washed away or dissolved by water. Instead of washing away, you also could just let it fill the toilets and, now and then, have a dwarf dump the filth in a designated pit with a bucket. You don't have to build it into every room. A few public bathrooms should suffice. I suggest the glob archetype for filth and, naturally, it should produce smell.

(disclaimer: despite my earlier sarcastic proposition, I am pro filth)
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
  • Whispers subterrene.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2010, 10:25:07 am »

These are my thoughts on the whole issue, from a previous thread.  They're pretty much the same as the OP's thoughts:

I view it as added realism, an engineering challenge, and another valuable resource.

edit: forgot to close my quotes.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:37:27 am by Chthonic »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2010, 11:09:57 am »

I view it as added realism, an engineering challenge, and another valuable resource.

Exactly. People forget how useful animal and human excrement is in agriculture.

The question is... how would it be done?

I see a few possibilities: The first one would be a toilet furniture piece, that lets filth drop down one level, where it might be washed away or dissolved by water. Instead of washing away, you also could just let it fill the toilets and, now and then, have a dwarf dump the filth in a designated pit with a bucket. You don't have to build it into every room. A few public bathrooms should suffice. I suggest the glob archetype for filth and, naturally, it should produce smell.

(disclaimer: despite my earlier sarcastic proposition, I am pro filth)

Or areas could simply be designated as toilets, such as a small room or a channel.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 11:12:25 am by Owlbread »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 11:11:42 am »

-snip-

Damn the lack of an automerge.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 11:54:17 am »

I agree with just letting a zone be designated.

But chamber pots should be an alternative.

My fort is going to start looking like my school with three engineering rooms with equipment to a normal one if this does get implemented, but on the upside, automated flush cycles for my poo-areas, and cha- oh wait... magma sea/lake.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 12:02:49 pm »

Imagine the signs:

Use sewage, or your fort will be covered in this: @

Also, Dwarven Diapers. They are needed. Think about the fights:
Urist slashes Dwarves Diaper.
Urist smells toxic fumes!
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2010, 01:53:10 pm »

I think putting sewage in the way Nikov suggested is the way to go. Not like any other part of DF is less disgusting.  :P
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27