Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55764 times)

Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #330 on: June 10, 2010, 05:02:05 pm »

Bottom line is that if it goes in, it should go in just like any other feature. Fully implemented. There should be no prudish artificial limitations on it, just put it in correctly or not at all. Its not for you to say what people can or cannot do in their game.

I think this is a laudable philosophy. I wholeheartedly agree for what little my opinion is worth. I'm ambivalent to the presence or lack of waste mechanisms. I think they're interesting, but there are many other interesting things that could be done first and add just as much Fun to the game.

When discussing Dwarf Fortress with the unexposed, one of the things I always bring up is how it's far more like a simulation, unlike most games which seem to function on an 'emulation' level. It seems to me that by fully developing each concept put into the game, you get a depth and flexibility that is sorely lacking in most modern games. This is precisely what keeps me coming back to DF. The graphics suck, the interface sucks, but the game itself is amazing, deep, and full of a million different ways to create Fun.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 10, 2010, 09:26:23 pm »

Speaking of which, is that planned? It would be incredible to tip your arrows from a bottle of Forgotten Beast blood, making them Arrows of Face-Melting +1.
Well, we have all these extracts like golden salve and gnomeblight for a reason, i believe. And IIRC Toady mentioned something like this in his notes about future of poisons.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 11, 2010, 12:37:45 am »

Wow, you guys are really serious about this shit.
I see what you did there.

There's no need to get anal about this.

Don't get all sh!t faced.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 13, 2010, 04:14:55 pm »

Watch this space. I'll MAKE a fort with a sewer in .06 just to smite you haters. XD
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 13, 2010, 09:41:38 pm »

Watch this space. I'll MAKE a fort with a sewer in .06 just to smite you haters. XD

I've had sewers since .40d, but I'd love to see the solutions you come up with.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Akjosch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 14, 2010, 04:05:46 am »

Yeah, I already build a sewer and excess water layer every other layer. In my last fort, I even had a dozen or so goblins from a failed ambush milling around there for a few years. I prefer not to think about what they ate all the time ...

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: June 14, 2010, 04:25:59 am »

Yeah. Be glad it wasn't FUNCTIONAL.

I had one such fort in 40d where my refuse stockpiles ended up in the sewer areas. And an artefact stockpile. And multiple traps and the like. And a guard dog to keep annoying thieves out.

Solace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: June 14, 2010, 02:52:07 pm »

Sewer management would be an evolving challenge that increases with size and complexity along with your fortress; plus stuff might end up living in there, giving you a reason to have an army even if you wall yourself off from the world.

On the flipside, we'd probably have to wait until liquid mixing is implemented, and more official purification things are made. Throw all the blood, corpses, and trash into the sewer, throw down some oil and booze, set the whole thing on fire. Why not.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: June 14, 2010, 03:03:32 pm »

Sewer management would be an evolving challenge that increases with size and complexity along with your fortress; plus stuff might end up living in there, giving you a reason to have an army even if you wall yourself off from the world.

On the flipside, we'd probably have to wait until liquid mixing is implemented, and more official purification things are made. Throw all the blood, corpses, and trash into the sewer, throw down some oil and booze, set the whole thing on fire. Why not.

ooh, smokey.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: June 14, 2010, 10:50:21 pm »

*urist mcmaniac has caused an explosion!*the fortress crumbles into darkness

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: June 15, 2010, 11:04:12 am »

mmm... you know, in real houses, the plumbing in multiple floors is often built overlapping one floor's bathroom with another, so that the same vertical pipes can carry everything.

I guess a toilet that pushes waste sideways is a little much to ask, but you could pretty easily create a pump-stack for the flowing clean water from a lower resevoir, and then have it cascade down, filling up lower water basins when levers or switches are pressed.

Provided you have all the latrines built around a few key locations on the x/y axis  (which isn't hard, considering how vertical .31.x is) you could have all your plumbing built on about 4 major toilet areas.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 21, 2010, 05:07:59 pm »

I'd just like to chime in and say that I would approve of more liquids, sewage being one. Oil would be another. Hell, mercury might even be fun.

It would be nice to have a sewage system just as somewhere to put all the damn vomit, pus, and blood.

And also, then pour it on your enemies. Then pour oil on them. And then lava. And then water.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 21, 2010, 06:12:35 pm »

...and a dwarf would say "bring it on"
The OP whenever long ago it was written, it contains right things. It presents new challenge most players aren't used to, so it may be unwelcome. But hey, the swap to 3D had also put up new challenges and look at all those FB plague threads now as well, these have become a great aspects of play now.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: December 21, 2010, 06:51:03 pm »

My, it's been a while since this thread re-appeared. :o

Personally, I'm okay with it, as long as the feature can be disabled if you don't approve of it. That way we don't have to argue about whether or not we want it. Instead, we'll probably end up arguing over whether or not we have it active, but that's not the point.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

NSQuote

• Bay Watcher
  • used Confusion!
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: December 22, 2010, 12:28:28 am »

I like the OP's reindition of "filth", but cleaning MUST be fixed before anyhing like that. Until then it gets a resolute no, to be revisited when more important thigns are finished

However, I do LOVE the idea of a sewer for disposal of rotten food, dead animals, general refuse, and, of course, annoying nobles. Wash away all your troubles into the "bowels" of the earth (hurr) or invade a small town through their waste disposal service and wreck their "filth" (durr).
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27