Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55927 times)

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #315 on: June 09, 2010, 05:47:10 am »

I've done sewers. Admittedly on an aboveground fort, which flowed under the street and had grates in the street leading down to it. Idea being just for the aesthetics. It wouldn't be too difficult to link it into the houses, and it didn't take long to channel out a 3 wide channel and a 5 wide tunnel above it underneath the roads.
Turned out to be a great place for my trapper. Olms and rats galore down there.
I bet manly tea tastes like crushed nerd dreams.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: June 09, 2010, 07:05:43 am »

As a new player I really don't see the harm in this being added at all.  Though it would make perfect sense to have it as an init setting for those that don't want it or don't want to have to worry with designing fully working sewage system. It would be nice if the whole "producing waste" task happened only when dwarfs are on break. Somehow I could almost forgive my pump operator (saving the fort from excess magma fun) abandoning his job to attend to his bodily functions rather than just being bored with work.
I won't say too much since what I think has already been said over and over.
Although one of the things I found strange with Dwarf Fortress is that it is very easy to have a self sustainable fortress, the whole producing waste makes a self sustainable fortress just that bit harder to reach which seems fair to me. That said dealing with waste should be simple enough, either dig some holes and pit it with buckets or make a complex sewage system that can attend to the needs of a full population of boozers. I'm a bit iffy about animals creating filth though, they're already annoying enough with their children and their hatred of high frame rates.

2) Potash makers will become more useful. Change their title to Fertilizer maker, add a reaction to combine potash and manure to make fertilizer. You can also add the ability to fertilize crops with potash, manure or fertilizer.
3) I don't advocate giving adventurers the ability to squeeze one out whenever they want. Consider it abstracted into traveling. However, adventurers exploring sewers should have the option of flinging poo.

For 2) that makes sense and could open up the opportunity to have a lower class dwarf that has to live his life digging through sewage to fertilize crops. The benefits are higher crop yield but at the cost of higher rates of disease among these unhappy labourers (might even help to create a crime system where unhappy poor rat hunters dwarves turn to stealing).
As for 3) This seems to be the main thing people seem to have against the idea of sewage in dwarf fortress. I agree with the whole "only producing waste while travelling since it makes enough sense" I don't think the whole "crap as a weapon" should be added only since it just seems strange to throw sewage at something that lives in sewage. I doubt throwing some sludge at a monster is really gonna stun it enough to consider twice about biting off your face, might even make the thing angrier. Besides the point of the filith is to add an extra layer of thought to designing rather than something that is meant to be "hi-larious".

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 09, 2010, 12:48:18 pm »

Speaking of which, they managed this in stronghold 2, with gong and the gong pits. Not that the game was great, but the idea could be bastardised into DF.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 09, 2010, 12:57:31 pm »

After catching up with this thread, I have thought of a few additional reasons to implement poop...

Filth. Implement filth. As a water contaminating flow. Not as poop, poo, feces, urine, pee or manure. It would be impossible to pick it up and throw at people. It would be impossible to extract from creatures. It would be impossible to found a religion on.

Such silliness. Anyway, my engineer brother-in-law tells me modern sewers are entirely gravity powered. Its going to be fun figuring out how to keep filth moving through the system without graded aqueducts.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #319 on: June 09, 2010, 01:06:19 pm »

It would be impossible to pick it up and throw at people.

Why? There are historic examples of dumping "filth" on people during sieges and so forth.

Seems a rather arbitrary and prudish restriction when we can pick up living creatures and hurl them at people but not poop.

Libelnon

• Bay Watcher
  • iz happeh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 09, 2010, 01:26:22 pm »

After catching up with this thread, I have thought of a few additional reasons to implement poop...

Filth. Implement filth. As a water contaminating flow. Not as poop, poo, feces, urine, pee or manure. It would be impossible to pick it up and throw at people. It would be impossible to extract from creatures. It would be impossible to found a religion on.

Such silliness. Anyway, my engineer brother-in-law tells me modern sewers are entirely gravity powered. Its going to be fun figuring out how to keep filth moving through the system without graded aqueducts.

Simple. People keep waterfalls flowing, do they not? Pump it into a river, and then draw water from the river further upstream to power the sewers. It's what I did. If all else fails, dam up the river and run it through the sewer directly.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 09, 2010, 05:24:03 pm »

I can go with this line...

Default hardcoded ethics:
[FILTHY:UNTHINKABLE]

Any way to mitigate the 'LOLPOO' potential is welcomed.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 09, 2010, 07:11:27 pm »

It would be impossible to pick it up and throw at people.

Why? There are historic examples of dumping "filth" on people during sieges and so forth.

Seems a rather arbitrary and prudish restriction when we can pick up living creatures and hurl them at people but not poop.

Not to mention tipping arrows with the stuff and shooting people with them.

Speaking of which, is that planned? It would be incredible to tip your arrows from a bottle of Forgotten Beast blood, making them Arrows of Face-Melting +1.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 09, 2010, 08:42:01 pm »

Not to mention loading corpses and severed heads into catapults to spread disease...or Pungi pits (pits with ****-covered spikes) used in Vietnam.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 10, 2010, 12:23:52 am »

As a new player I really don't see the harm in this being added at all.  Though it would make perfect sense to have it as an init setting for those that don't want it or don't want to have to worry with designing fully working sewage system. It would be nice if the whole "producing waste" task happened only when dwarfs are on break. Somehow I could almost forgive my pump operator (saving the fort from excess magma fun) abandoning his job to attend to his bodily functions rather than just being bored with work.
I won't say too much since what I think has already been said over and over.
Although one of the things I found strange with Dwarf Fortress is that it is very easy to have a self sustainable fortress, the whole producing waste makes a self sustainable fortress just that bit harder to reach which seems fair to me. That said dealing with waste should be simple enough, either dig some holes and pit it with buckets or make a complex sewage system that can attend to the needs of a full population of boozers. I'm a bit iffy about animals creating filth though, they're already annoying enough with their children and their hatred of high frame rates.

2) Potash makers will become more useful. Change their title to Fertilizer maker, add a reaction to combine potash and manure to make fertilizer. You can also add the ability to fertilize crops with potash, manure or fertilizer.
3) I don't advocate giving adventurers the ability to squeeze one out whenever they want. Consider it abstracted into traveling. However, adventurers exploring sewers should have the option of flinging poo.

For 2) that makes sense and could open up the opportunity to have a lower class dwarf that has to live his life digging through sewage to fertilize crops. The benefits are higher crop yield but at the cost of higher rates of disease among these unhappy labourers (might even help to create a crime system where unhappy poor rat hunters dwarves turn to stealing).
As for 3) This seems to be the main thing people seem to have against the idea of sewage in dwarf fortress. I agree with the whole "only producing waste while travelling since it makes enough sense" I don't think the whole "crap as a weapon" should be added only since it just seems strange to throw sewage at something that lives in sewage. I doubt throwing some sludge at a monster is really gonna stun it enough to consider twice about biting off your face, might even make the thing angrier. Besides the point of the filith is to add an extra layer of thought to designing rather than something that is meant to be "hi-larious".
Such a wall of text about the presence of poo.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #325 on: June 10, 2010, 12:48:12 am »

Bottom line is that if it goes in, it should go in just like any other feature. Fully implemented. There should be no prudish artificial limitations on it, just put it in correctly or not at all. Its not for you to say what people can or cannot do in their game.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: June 10, 2010, 03:13:48 am »

Well, the Egyptians put the scarab in a prominent place, because of its behaviour of making little balls of dung and rolling them around for its offspring. Also, crocodile dung was a popular ingredient in many medicines.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 10, 2010, 04:19:10 am »

Wow, you guys are really serious about this shit.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #328 on: June 10, 2010, 04:30:22 am »

I see what you did there.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: June 10, 2010, 04:38:26 am »

I see what you did there.

There's no need to get anal about this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 27