Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 57213 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2010, 02:23:51 pm »

OH NOSES POOR YOU!!!11111

More seriously, I think the ideas described in the OP are the best I've seen on the subject, and would make the game more fun and challenging in a relatively tastful way. Of course, there should be an init option to satisfy the whiners.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2010, 02:33:20 pm »

Of course, there should be an init option to satisfy the whiners.
Has already been said. People don't want Toady to work on something they aren't going to use.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 25, 2010, 02:38:25 pm »

... I said "of course" because I'm aware that it's BLATANTLY OBVIOUS that people have said it before, and I agree with them. Also, I'm sure that if sewage did get put in there would be people who might realize it isn't the end of the world and really not so bad after all.

EDIT: grammars
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 02:44:46 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 25, 2010, 10:35:56 pm »

Of course, there should be an init option to satisfy the whiners.
Has already been said. People don't want Toady to work on something they aren't going to use.

Like the economy, temperatures, weather and invaders.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Zalminen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 26, 2010, 02:14:04 am »

Not a good comparison though.

Pretty much everyone would use temperature and weather if they weren't so CPU intensive.

Most people use invaders except in specific cases (trying to learn the game, doing science/megaprojects etc).

Most people turn off economy because it's currently too lacking.

These are pretty different from sewage which many don't want in the game at all.
"And if you look down in the boiler chamber, you'll see that our hot spring is powered by an ancient, unholy, cramped and extremely pissed forgotten beast."

Tenth Speed Writer

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 26, 2010, 02:31:25 am »

The thought of putting latrines directly over nobles' rooms makes me giggle.
Quote from: Pickled Tink
I don't believe in a standing army. I believe in cruel and unusual architecture.

Overspeculated

• Bay Watcher
  • euklid on pth
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 26, 2010, 04:09:43 am »

People don't want Toady to
And there us where this topic fails. This is not a democracy, Toady One doesn't care how the min-maximizers or anybody thinks his game should look like; he will make the game how he wants to make it. It is his game after all, not yours.

And this is good, I've seen people like you, who presume to dictate to the actual game developers how the game should be like, erroneously thinking they represent the majority of the players, ruin plenty of great games. Take Kindgdomofloathing for example, the goddamn min-maximisers have transformed the game from a fun, witty and humorous browser game into an acquisition and grind game similar to world of warcraft.

These endless discussions are absolutely pointless and futile, especially if you realise that Toady One hasn't even posted in this topic you are all so fervently arguing in.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #232 on: May 26, 2010, 10:12:05 am »

Man, this thread is worse than the one for the umbrella suggestion...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 02:19:47 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 26, 2010, 02:10:51 pm »

And there us where this topic fails. This is not a democracy, Toady One doesn't care how the min-maximizers or anybody thinks his game should look like; he will make the game how he wants to make it. It is his game after all, not yours.

And this is good, I've seen people like you, who presume to dictate to the actual game developers how the game should be like, erroneously thinking they represent the majority of the players, ruin plenty of great games. Take Kindgdomofloathing for example, the goddamn min-maximisers have transformed the game from a fun, witty and humorous browser game into an acquisition and grind game similar to world of warcraft.

These endless discussions are absolutely pointless and futile, especially if you realise that Toady One hasn't even posted in this topic you are all so fervently arguing in.
I'm trying to get this thread to die because I wholeheartedly agree with you. He does what he want so having this discussion is useless in the first place. At least put it in the suggestions page :/
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 26, 2010, 07:49:25 pm »

"Hasn't posted" is not equal to "didn't read".

Exiledhero99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 26, 2010, 09:02:09 pm »

why was this necro'd?(or atleast semi. I haven't seen this thread for awhile now...thought it died)
If you hit a dwarf with moving water with sufficient strength it will knock the baby out of the mother's arms.  The water can then be used to sweep the baby into a well or cistern for drowning.  The device which does this can also double as a mist generator.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 27, 2010, 06:56:31 am »

The system you've come up with looks pretty sound.
I wouldn't mind having this in the game, but then it's not particularly necessary. You could play with it, but a small room, a bucket and a quick zoning tweak, job done, get on with the megaconstructions.
It doesn't seem to make the game any better or any worse, it just gives you more to do.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 27, 2010, 11:56:08 am »

Shitting is just one of the basic necessities of life, without it DF won't ever be complete.
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

LegitMacgyver

• Bay Watcher
  • Macgyver cancels make bomb, can't find paper clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 27, 2010, 12:14:03 pm »

I am in complete support of adding this to the game (I voted for it in the eternal suggestions), however I am pretty sure that in one of the dwarf talks Today said he has little interest in adding this to the game.

Bunny

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 27, 2010, 12:50:42 pm »

I realise that Toady currently is not interested in adding this.  However one of the things I like so much about him is that he does listen to people.  Why else bother having an eternal suggestions vote system if he is just going to do what he wants to do anyway?  Toady is a reasonable enough developer that, if enough people want something and if they can provide a convincing argument and a practical manner of implementing something, he may consider it.

Of course it is his game and his decision to put in what he wants, but if it is like that as MUCH as you seem to think so, why bother with suggestions at all?  And if you really don't want this in the game, why not just say that and leave it be?  Those of us who WOULD like to see this implemented are happy enough having a productive and amicable discussion into the ways in which it could be implemented.  If it never happens, what have we lost except a bit of time chattering in the forums?

Man, those of you who don't want poop are getting to seem really ANGRY about this.  I don't get it.  Our opinion differs to yours. 

We've been able to post a whole host of reasonable justifications for discussing and wanting poop.  So far the only reasonable argument I've seen against it has been regarding the extra effort in adding sewage systems to a fortress.  Everyone else just keeps saying variations of "ew gross" which... well, in the last version all of my dorfs were naked, covered in several layers of vomit, blood and mud, none of them washed or bathed, my female dorfs regularly used their infants as shields, I would throw captured prisoners into a lava pit to burn to death and had an entire economy based on butchering kittens.  Oh, and since all of my dorfs ended up with cave adaption but my trade depot was outside, every trade would result in a thick path of vomit trailing from fortress to depot.  I can only imagine the state the goods ended up in by the time we traded them off.
Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah-nagl ftaghn
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 27