Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55911 times)

Rorcayt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #150 on: April 18, 2010, 07:41:21 pm »

Sorry folks, I have to say that if my dwarf is happily munching on a raw goat lung with a side of thyroid gland, there's really nothing against some abstracted 'filth' dwarves produce in a 1/7 puddle in the channel under a toilet.

EDIT: Added my full suggestion up here.

Just so its clear, I'd like 'filth' as an evaporating flow that leaves behind trackable, disgusting grime on the tile. Outside, filth is washed away by rain and dwarves will try to 'use a shrub' if no options are possible. Once you start digging deep, problems arise.

Dwarves who do their smelly business randomly through the fort because you have no sanitation system get unhappy thoughts. Grime gets on their clothes and into wounds, causing infections. Dwarves have to clean themselves as well as the floors of grime, which causes more unhappy thoughts. The solution is to build a latrine, a 1x1 tile room consisting of a chair, hatch cover and bucket, using the hatch cover tile. It is built over open space just like a well, only dwarves can stand on it. You designate it into a room, assigning an owner if you wish or leaving it public. Using a latrine room when more than one dwarf is present in the room causes an unhappy thought; don't forget the door!

Example latrine off a tower; note the gem window and masterful pine door!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

When used, the 1/7 bit of filth falls down into whatever hole exists to either splatter at the base of a tower, off a cliff, into a stream, into a cistern, or into a flowing sewer tunnel. In any case, doing so causes a happy thought (a golden throne and platinum bucket causing even happier ones). The dwarf is filth and grime free and returns to his daily routine of vomiting and getting covered in antman ichor. If filth doesn't begin to pile up, it evaporates into grime which can be ignored. If it does pile up, however, it spreads to other tiles using magma physics; unpressured and slow. A busy fort might find itself filling smaller cisterns. A 4/7 tile of filth generates miasma, which can rise through the latrine or any other openings.

Dealing with the filth production of a large fort requires water or magma. Magma obviously burns filth into smoke and causes potentially hillarious results, since a stream of flammable liquid trails from the magma all the way to your dwarf's behind sitting on a latrine. Clever players can come up with a solution or ten to this possible source of fun; floodgates, for example. However water behaves with filth differently. When water comes in contact with filth, any amount of filth, it is turned into filthy water and the two liquids combine. Filthy water leaves behind grime rather than mud, making it unsuitable for farming and bathing, and contaminates wells and pools. Dwarves must cautiously direct the water off site, into rivers or caverns, and possibly have evaporated away in the boundless magma sea. However, filthy water does not generate miasma or burn. It does, however, create an inviting habitat for a variety of mutated crap. I mean carp. Also tentacled beasties and kobolds, naturally.

Some people are worried that huge sewer systems will be required for forts; they are not. They are only required for huge forts. Your founders will be quite content to use shrubs and the like during the early months and once a latrine can be set up in a corner with a decent cistern below, you really have nothing to worry about for several waves of migrants. Once enough migrants amass that your latrines begin to fill and generate miasma, either dump the latrines into rivers, flush them with pumped or bucketed water, or seal up the latrine and dig newer, bigger ones. Only when your sprawling megafortress begins generating a new tile of 7/7 filth every week do you need the sort of sewer system that so many players long to explore in adventurer mode or defend against ratmen invaders. Because there is a lot of build-up time before the major demand arrives, most people should be able to agree this is a way to add fun and challenge to the end game. Kings demanding private golden latrines and sewer monsters crawling out of the deep? Sieges forcing us to close off our sewer system and disease running rampant through the fort? Yes please.

And of course, filth could be disabled in the init raw, and by being handled as 'filth' rather than specifically urine and feces, we put a fig leaf on the matter for the squeamish.
Can I load my stone fall traps with filth?
The cavern cats almost liberated hell..... Cats are in fact useful...
When they got fake cat serpent headed ice breathing demon enemy's, and no elves in sight.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2010, 07:29:26 am »

Can we just DROP this one already... I don't want to have to freaking organize a SEWAGE SYSTEM along WITH a drainage and water system damn it.
Wouldn't be that hard to have a flowing channel of water running under every room's toilet and out onto some poor beastmen's camp.

It would be if you embark without flowing surface water and you decide to build entirely on the surface while all the underground pools are down about 100 z-levels. Then it becomes just a little annoying in the early game.

So if you specifically handicap yourself you'll have difficulty?

Surprise to me too.

TigerPlushie

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_DRAMA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2010, 09:01:45 am »

A thought just crossed my mind.
Dwarves are not the only creatures creating filth....

Now imagine a fortress with a small meeting area and a few breeding pairs of elephants...

...OH THE HUMANITY
Dwarf cancelled making adamantium short sword: Strange mood.
Dwarf has entered a marital trance!
Dwarf has claimed a bedroom.

absynthe7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2010, 09:14:57 am »

Really. This is a real thing. That people want. This is not a joke. Sewage. In DF.

Am I the only one who thinks this is the dumbest idea they've ever heard of in their entire lives?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2010, 09:46:05 am »

Relax. It'd have an init switch, so you could just turn it off.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2010, 09:48:19 am »

Really. This is a real thing. That people want. This is not a joke. Sewage. In DF.

Am I the only one who thinks this is the dumbest idea they've ever heard of in their entire lives?

Evidently not. But there are also many people who think it's a great idea. However, I guess since you feel it's a bad idea we'll just have to capitulate and realise it will never happen.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2010, 09:49:05 am »

You should check how much your municipality spends on sewage then.
Obviously they do not consider it 'dumbest idea'.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2010, 10:00:34 am »

Have you played DF lately (.31+)?
The hallways are already sewage filled, the only thing needed now is a reliable method for it to be washed away into a sewer.
(Not just dumped beside the community well.)
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Pathos

« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2010, 09:44:37 pm »

This is a stupid, childish and ultimately vulgarly useless idea that will contribute nothing but meaningless numbers and impossible 3D fort design to the game.

And therefore, I wholeheartedly support it.

Only if it generates an invisible miasma when a dwarf drops one, though. And dwarves nearby, depending on what that dwarf had eaten, will get a varying amount of displeasure from it. Possibly have a personality trait of "depravity" that enjoys the smell.

That is all.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 28, 2010, 11:18:08 pm »

This is a stupid, childish and ultimately vulgarly useless idea that will contribute nothing but meaningless numbers and impossible 3D fort design to the game.

Only if it generates an invisible miasma when a dwarf drops one, though. And dwarves nearby, depending on what that dwarf had eaten, will get a varying amount of displeasure from it. Possibly have a personality trait of "depravity" that enjoys the smell.

That is all.
Duuude... Do NOT do this, you say it's a stupid idea only to revive the thread  >:(

Please. Please. Please just don't respond anymore.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 28, 2010, 11:46:13 pm »

Dwarves who do their smelly business randomly through the fort

You've sold me on this idea five times over.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 28, 2010, 11:53:31 pm »

Relax. It'd have an init switch, so you could just turn it off.
It had better!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2010, 12:25:43 am »

NO! nononononono! we're heading in the wrong direction...

Scruga has gone stark raving mad!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 29, 2010, 01:19:13 am »

It's better to revive this thread than to create another. By the way, a different person revived the *feces vote*

As i said, i support realism. Dwarves should produce a unit of abstracted filth into a bucket built on their bedroom or communal bathroom, that emitted miasma and could be thrown into a pit. Animals would also produce droppings randomly, so it's a good idea to restrain or pit them. For early game you could designate a zone for physiological refuse where dwarves would take care of their business. Farmers, and tanners could use this filth in their work, and after it dries, filth could also be used as fuel for cooking of for fire pits\hearths, though possibly not smelting operations as these probably require better quality fuel.
  Sewers wouldn't be needed at all, or even be very pratical as you'd lose useful materials, but i know i would build a few in my late game fortresses 8)

I would like to add that i'd prefer many things added before this happens, for example, modeling illumination, revamping industry in general to use tools and having workshops broken down into smaller more detailed components, etc. And also i think that having it as a switchable init option is the childish option. If it's done tastefully and in a serious manner, are you really that prude to be offended by something you actually have to deal every day irl?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 01:32:52 am by Askot Bokbondeler »

Danjen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 29, 2010, 02:00:55 am »

Duuude... Do NOT do this, you say it's a stupid idea only to revive the thread  >:(

Please. Please. Please just don't respond anymore.
Er, looks like he supports it.
Quote from: mrbobbyg
Hey, I'm cool with you tying a dog up and shooting it with a ballista if you're short on elves, but there's not need to lie about it to us.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 27