Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Would you deny others the freedom to enjoy planning waste disposal?

Of course not. Freedom is great.
- 82 (31.4%)
Heavens no! I would never deny others.
- 10 (3.8%)
People should be free to enjoy what they like. I'd never oppose it.
- 29 (11.1%)
I love denying others basic rights so I can be lazy and not edit my .init file.
- 55 (21.1%)
What kind of rigged poll is this? MSNBC has fairer. Also, I am pro-filth.
- 85 (32.6%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27

Author Topic: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already  (Read 55768 times)

dsi1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing Sacred Left: Add Sewage Already
« Reply #120 on: April 15, 2010, 09:37:21 pm »

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is against this, if this is a simulator we need it, if it is a civ builder we need it, if it is a sandbox game, we have init options.

We have a health system now, and poop, or filth, is (should be) just one aspect of that system.
Me: I developed a way to catch demons which shoot web, then I forced it to work in a sweatshop and shoot its magma-proof web at children so I can collect it to make clothes.

Friend: Holy shit.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 15, 2010, 09:42:13 pm »

I'm pro poop, i'm also pro building a 15 z level shaft, with a goblin prison underneathe it.

"How're you Urist?"
"I just scored a direct hit on that big fat goblin down there, so i'm pretty good, think you can beat that?"
"Sure, i'll aim for the child!"
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

DFPongo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 15, 2010, 10:28:54 pm »

I can't for the life of me understand why anyone is against this, if this is a simulator we need it, if it is a civ builder we need it, if it is a sandbox game, we have init options.

We have a health system now, and poop, or filth, is (should be) just one aspect of that system.

It just seems like a dumb thing to waste dev effort on just to satisfy the suppressed anxieties of a few.
Every line of code that is added to a program is potential bugs that are added.  Of the infinite things that are not represented in the game as a sim, a civ builder or a sand box, why pick this thing to declare it is needed?
Its not needed, its like a punch line, why wasted dev effort on a punch line.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #123 on: April 15, 2010, 10:42:08 pm »

Now hold on, this has some interesting effects when it comes down to it, mainly the need for sewers, which are interesting places for adventurers and invaders to inhabit. The OP's suggestion is nice and clear here, and relatively clean.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 15, 2010, 11:13:00 pm »

historically, sewage wasnt much of a burden, you'd just dig a big hole and fill it up, and farmers would take it to spread on the fields
bad! BAD!!!
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 15, 2010, 11:32:33 pm »

historically, sewage wasnt much of a burden, you'd just dig a big hole and fill it up, and farmers would take it to spread on the fields
bad! BAD!!!
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to discriminate against the plants.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 15, 2010, 11:35:44 pm »

bad! BAD!!!
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you have to discriminate against the plants.
He managed to revive this thread after it has been dead for a week.
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 15, 2010, 11:36:47 pm »

bad! BAD!!!
Well, now you are only making it worse. And so am I. ;D
He managed to revive this thread after it has been dead for a week.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

altereggo

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Recognize my ava? *shh*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 16, 2010, 01:26:46 am »

The automatic scaling is the important thing, because it gives a chance for someone to build up a bit before running into these problems.

Everyone goes in the bushes until the count shows up, turns his nose up at your disgusting rustic ways, and demands a proper toilet? Awesome!

As someone who manages and maintains his own septic system (yes I live in a rural area), I am intrigued by the possibilities this presents. Masterwork settling tanks, lay pewter infiltrator laterals... world-flooding bypass lever...

Odd!x

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 16, 2010, 02:14:29 am »

Of what I've seen on the forum thus far, this thread has the best shit there is, In My Humble Opinion.

I like the cut of your jib, Nikov.
We are who we are, depending on who we were.

Thornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 16, 2010, 02:30:18 am »

I am pro filth, as described in this thread. With the health system implemented this seems like a no brainer. Also, as one who has just got a hang of the dwarven basics, I approve of any suggestion that gives me more motivation to learn dwarf mechanics, and moving water around. Because as it stands, there's all of these pipes and pumps and all this other stuff, but I'm really having a hard time finding a real use for it. I can only think of decorative stuff like water falls, and I'm too lazy for that. More late game management instead of just waiting to die would be great.

A lot of people are worried that it would be too much to control, but it's as described it would only become a real problem in very large fortresses. I mean how hard is it to dig a hole, and cover it up later if you're lazy?

mustyoshi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 16, 2010, 08:34:57 am »

After reading all nine pages of this... I have decided that I am ALL for this "filth" addon. But only if it IS disabled by default, I mean I love playing DF, but only to see how bad I can manage a fortress xD, I love watching something go horribly wrong, and this sewer system would greatly improve my gameplay experience.
Urist McWhiner: But he is better stonecrafter than everybody combined in this fortress!!
Urist McManager: Aye, but he ain't 16 yet. So he hauls stuff

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 16, 2010, 09:59:15 am »

The automatic scaling is the important thing, because it gives a chance for someone to build up a bit before running into these problems.

Everyone goes in the bushes until the count shows up, turns his nose up at your disgusting rustic ways, and demands a proper toilet? Awesome!

As someone who manages and maintains his own septic system (yes I live in a rural area), I am intrigued by the possibilities this presents. Masterwork settling tanks, lay pewter infiltrator laterals... world-flooding bypass lever...

Not to mention using your leach field for the farms!  (Seriously, seen similar in real life.  It wasn't a farm, but I've seen several leach fields that were covered in abundant healthy plant growth.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 16, 2010, 11:41:06 am »

You know we still want to attract people to the game, right?

It's hard enough getting people to play with ASCII graphics, a learning curve that resembles a cliff, and an overwhelming amount of depth paired with a clunky interface, the last thing we need are things like this.

As an already experienced player though, I'm all for it! ;D

Are you serious? Not to be a smartass here, but that's way off base. The ONLY reason I was able to find and start playing DF is because of two things.

1: TVtropes' video game cruelty potential entry.

2: #1's eventually link to Boatmurdered.

Horror, violence, carnage, gore, and death. Starving babies, gouged eyes, water traps, flying limbs, puppies with lungs missing, etc.

Adding feces to the game adds more to the carnage and fun of it. Adding realistic wound systems (as of the last update) made the game that much more attractive. There is simply NO other game that can ever compare to DF in regards to these features.

Why not go all the way with it? Sex, feces, urine, an actual crime system (which isn't based on tantrums, but rather greed, squalor, and general human traits), mixing liquids, expanded insanity (including personality disorders), the list goes on.

This will attract more players, I promise. Billy-Bob WoW's headache over learning the game doesn't concern me. Designing a complex, realistic, and ultimately godlike fortress (and thus a godlike experience) is the entire idea. Fun, fun, fun.

Complexity is no reason to exclude something from the game. That's just my opinion.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 16, 2010, 01:41:14 pm »

Don't forget how all dwarves envy the tanner for being able to pass fluids productively.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 27