Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tougher Skin?  (Read 599 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Tougher Skin?
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:32:15 pm »

Ok Question for Toady or any1 who understands this better than I

Can I make a specific creature have a tougher skin then other creatures that... WILL MAKE A TOUGHER LEATHER WHEN TANNED?
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tougher Skin?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 01:29:07 am »

If you copy the skin material in the "material_template_default" folder, and set the numbers for resistance higher (somewhere between metal and stone) it should work.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Bishop36

• Bay Watcher
  • It is known.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 02:52:10 am »

I remember hearing that leather will be of uniform toughness, even if the creature has extra tough or stone skin.
"Things that make noise should never be sold to small children. Only adults can handle that responsibility."

-Justin from Left-Hand Toons

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 07:53:56 am »

I guess you would have to mod leather for that- however there is only a single leather entry in the raws which means all creatures produce the same leather- and if you create a new type of leather you might end up having all creatures use it instead.

Making tougher skin should be possible however, since you can set which skin a creature uses.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 10:19:40 am »

Make a copy of the leather template in material_template_default, renaming it to something else (like [MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:TOUGH_LEATHER]. Change its properties there. Then, in your creature, put in the tag [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:LEATHER:TOUGH_LEATHER].

This should replace [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS]'s [ADD_MATERIAL:LEATHER:LEATHER_TEMPLATE]. If you look in b_detail_plan_default, that's where I got the information. You can also make a new skin material, replacing it in the same way - [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SKIN:TOUGH_SKIN]

AFAIK, that should work. Let us know if it does - feedback and information on this stuff helps make modding easier for everyone :)

Edit: Forgot to mention, the tags that replace the skin/leather with your new material should be placed -after- [BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_MATERIALS], or the standard materials will probably replace your own.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:27:43 am by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044