Deadly Rain, No Lava
- 21 (14.2%)
Normal Rain, Lava
- 37 (25%)
Normal Rain, No Lava
- 78 (52.7%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: [0.31.01] 'Deadly Rain' Test and Report  (Read 16834 times)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: [0.31.01] 'Deadly Rain' Test and Report
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2010, 02:41:42 pm »

I have what may have been the same bug.  I was on an oceanside fortress with half a dozen merfolk swimming in the ocean.  In the summer, at about the same time some immigrants arrived (although I don't know the exact timing) all the merfolk spontaneously bled out and then died.  They didn't air-drown and as far as I can tell none of my dwarves or creatures attacked them.

Edited to add:  There is no visible magma on the map, but meeting areas are flagged as 'hot'.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 03:41:06 pm by Sphalerite »
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2010, 02:53:05 pm »

2. You have deadly rain, but no visible lava.

I think I hit this bug. I have a very humdrum starting area, a fairly flat 4x4 with a brook down the middle. Mostly treed with a low hill on the east side. No visible magma, strange creatures and I hadn't hit any underground of any kind yet.

During the summer of the first year all of the sudden all of my dwarves except the two that were inside got, one after the other "X Has Bled to Death" messages. I saw that the last couple flashes with yellow + wounds for a moment before they died. I did notice that this started right around the time when it started raining.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2010, 03:35:40 pm »

I had a similar bug in adventure mode. I had an elf, and went for a swim in a lake. I spent a good 250 turns laying down in the water, swimming, when suddenly I started to melt horribly, bled out, and died. Nothing was around causing the issue. No exposed magma, though there was a Volcano about 10 Worldmap Tiles away, so there's a chance there was a hidden magma pipe.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2010, 04:47:05 pm »

I just lost a fort to deadly rain with no visible lava. I was in a temperate mountain/forest and it began to rain mid-summer, all of a sudden all my dwarves were missing their upper bodies.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

AfterShave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2010, 11:06:51 am »

Deadly rain no visible lava. All my dwarves that was in the forest died. Those who were in the mountain/rocky part survived the rain. I think it might be related to biomes.
Gotta love the DF forums. A statement like this anywhere else could land you a couple years of counseling.

This is an anagram of my name
      Highborn Jerk Monster

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2010, 11:30:44 am »

Related problem that might shed light on this:

I had an Adventure Mode Elf go for a swim in a small pond in a temperate forest. For the first 250 ticks or so, it was fine... but suddenly, without any visible change (and no rain I noticed), I started melting horribly. I got out of the water, and continued to melt (I was covered by the pond water still), until I bled to death. It was 12 Worldmap squares from a Volcano, so there is a slight chance for lava nearby.

My thinking, in tandem with the Hot Rain hypothesis is that water in general is becomming inordinately warm. It could be borrowing temperature from nearby magma, or maybe it's something wierd to do with buggy heat accumulation, and a lack of dispersion. Who knows?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2010, 05:50:08 pm »

I have exposed lava, normal rain.

However, I have a theory.

What if the ambient temperature is so high that water boils rather than evaporating?

I think of this because of how I treated magma burn victims in previous releases... in an almost-constantly raining environment, dwarves who are wet won't start burning (and if put in beds in 4/7 water, will eventually cool off and heal) if they were exposed to magma.

But what if that situation were reversed?

Rain gives dwarves a 'water coating'. If the water boils, that heat is transferred to the dwarf, resulting in massive burning. If there's something similar between molten/boiling stone on a dwarf and boiling water, then it might just describe the phenomenon of deadly rain.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2010, 07:04:07 pm »

I had no exposed lava and, for over a year, normal rain.  Then some migrants arrived.  Suddenly, everyone outdoors began melting.  It started with an immigrating dog and went from there.  The weird thing is that I had played this location previously long enough for three waves of migrants to arrive and no one melted.  Then I decided to kill the process and resume play again from my initial save.  Everything was going great until this catastrophe occurred.  It was after the first Dwarven caravan but it might have been as late as the next summer.  Water does not freeze there but neither do the ponds evaporate.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Kevin0117rc

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 07:13:43 pm »

I encountered the deadly rain right after my first migrant wave. At that time, it already rained before and although all of my dwarves were outside, none of them were melted. The second wave of rain kill 9 out off my 11 dwarves; all of my dwarves were still outside. No lava were exposed.

TomCatFort

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2010, 05:31:56 am »

It would be rally helpful if we could see the temperature of thing when viewed with 'k'. I think this new body/tissue system cause the problem by having material with too low melting points. Or the game allows bodies of water to reach too hight temperature.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 02:24:38 am »

I ran a test in the testing arena.
Putting a layer of magma and a layer of water next to eachother and a dwarf inbetween will cause the dwarf to melt much faster then putting the same layer of magma and put the dwarf next to it. This might not be absolutly fool proof as the testing terrain has large magma fields that might screw with the results so perhaps a few more tests are needed here.
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 02:48:05 pm »

I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Aik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 05:16:40 am »

I've heard in a few places that this bug is fixed, but my dwarves are melting every time it rains in 0.31.12. Is it actually meant to be fixed currently?

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2010, 10:58:49 am »

It should be.

Zou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2010, 10:07:06 am »

It's probably some kind of horrible disease. The migrants bring the disease with them, killing everyone outside.
Bam, problem solved, get gas masks and kill them pesky immigrants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3