Deadly Rain, No Lava
- 21 (14.2%)
Normal Rain, Lava
- 37 (25%)
Normal Rain, No Lava
- 78 (52.7%)

Total Members Voted: 124

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: [0.31.01] 'Deadly Rain' Test and Report  (Read 16835 times)

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] 'Deadly Rain' Test and Report
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:31:13 pm »

'Deadly Rain', that is, rainfall which causes dwarves to melt to death, is a known little bug that I would like to arrange a group test of. My hypothesis is that exposed lava causes rain to heat up. Please only answer if you have temperature enabled.

Real quick reporting and testing thread.

1. You have deadly rainfall and exposed lava.
2. You have deadly rain, but no visible lava.
3. You have normal rain with exposed lava.
4. You have normal rain with no visible lava.

You can vote a maximum of four times, allowing you to check all that apply. If you can, go out and embark at lava, away from lava, on scorching terrain without lava, ect. Report findings in here. If Toady hasn't already started on this, we might be able to give him a good head start in finding the source of the problem. If he already has, this redundant thread can be deleted.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:37:18 am by Nikov »
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

warwizard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [31.01] 'Deadly Rain' Test and Report
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:19:53 pm »

#4 normal rain no lava exposed.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 11:42:49 pm »

Might be helpful if you also added in Biom info. I think it's related to getting pelted with super heated water in bioms near the "hot end" of the world map.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 11:49:10 pm »

Basically, if your dwarves start melting for no reason, start telling us about your embark.

I actively TRIED to replicate this bug, to no avail. I've tried many different embarks, no surface magma, moderate temperature so far.

Rumors have been flying around the net that it may be caused by water contaminates, because of sea spray sometimes liquidifying dwarves in the same fashion, or use of graphics sets, though I don't know why that would be an issue.

Mattex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 12:01:51 am »

Could it instead be heat, not rain? with the new body system could the "melting point" of things be set too low, so that too much heat would melt them?

So far ive embarked on freezing/cool/temperate which all started with no magma exposed and no melting when it rained. after exposing magma - still no melting.

PS: I'm a newbie when it comes to raws and the like, so im just guessing.
Quote from: Mattex
God i hated him. He burned, burned like those elven traders. "Hows THAT for magma-safe!"
Mattex McGamer Cancels Life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 12:11:33 am »

I'm currently running a fort with this problem, the entrance is a large bridge spanning the width of a volcano, 1 layer above the lava.

The first fort reached 90 population without accident,then suddenly 40 of them died from this odd bug, extremities like heads and fingers taking damage - I don't recall there being rain at the time but I could be mistaken.

Reclaimed and reached a pop of 40, rain starts, then ends. Shortly after it ends i have 6 casualties. Shortly after, rain starts, 5 more casualties, rain ends.

However, I've had people fully covered in water walking past the rim of the volcano, as close to the lava as possible without being in it and suffering no wounds, it's also been many many years in both cases before I had melting people.

Close proximity to lava seems to be a problem though, I was dismantling some stone floors over the top of lava and had people dieing on the spot (however walking past the same area covered in water did nothing).

Toastergargletop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2010, 01:28:09 am »

The last few forts I made, the trigger actually seemed to be migrants arriving.  weird, but it happened on 3 different occasions with 3 different forts with 3 unique locations.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] 'Deadly Rain' Test and Report
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 01:51:38 am »

Hi!

I have forgotten to check whether it is possible, but I think you should be able to 'k' rain drops. If you can't that is pointless, but if you can, I would like to ask those people having these problems to 'k' rain drops during the deadly showers and see if there is some difference in the naming.

Just a thought I had.

Deathworks

Mattex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 02:06:59 am »

Hey Deathworks, ive tried k'ing my rain with no luck, it doesnt turn up as an "entity" per se, it just says "grass" or "dead shrub" liek normal. But it was a good idea to check.

EDIT: I'd like to throw in that my dorfs dont melt, so if yours do - see if you can 'k' the raindrops. Along those lines check the weather message, mine says the normal "It has started raining".
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 02:20:32 am by Mattex »
Quote from: Mattex
God i hated him. He burned, burned like those elven traders. "Hows THAT for magma-safe!"
Mattex McGamer Cancels Life: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 03:04:42 am »

I had a dwarf adventurer get melted by rain in a human town, and there certainly wasn't any lava there. Also, the humans and their wood buildings were fine as far as I could tell.

Wolfius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:24:52 am »

If you get it, I'd suggest turning off temperature and see if that solves the "problem". That'll atleast isolate it to "rain hot"/something else.

Spectre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 06:29:05 am »

Dont know if it's related, but I was fighting a cow (which got legendary in kicking or something during the fight) with a dwarf in arena mode and suddenly my dwarf started melting. I was fighting just outside the entrance of that building in the left upper corner. So right next to lava.
I started and stoped melting a few times, trailing lots of blood. I died than shortly after during a 'not melting' periode from the loss of blood.

And it may be of importance that I also noticed, that the arena has a 'scorcing' enviroment.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 09:54:03 am »

O.K., now I had the scorching rain as well.

Rim of a Sinister mountain range with high cliffs (*) in the local area and 2 Biomes (one mountain, one forest).
It had no open Lava and the temperature of both Biomes was "just" warm.

It began to rain and next thing I noticed was, that myx cook and my jeweler bled to death.
The only surviving dwarf outside already had certain bodyparts  beginning to melt.

Oh and I think the Biome the killed dwarves were in at the time of their death was the mountain Biome.

Maybe the steep cliffs had something to do with the deadly rain (like rain  getting hotter and hotter for every visible layer of air it falls through)
(I doubt that it was the warm temperature (alone),as I already had a fortress in warm Biome, only a few tiles west from this one, where not a single dwarf was killed by killer rain) 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:06:31 am by Proteus »

UberNube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 10:37:59 am »

I have normal rain on a map with a "temperate" or maybe "warm" climate, no surface magma, a magma pipe in the first layer of caverns, a brook, and I'm near the coast. My map has fresh water with an aquifer spanning roughly 1/3 of it.
This guy gets it, the problem with the child torture dungeon is that they weren't set on fire first.

KFD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 01:05:26 pm »

My fort had no magma(that i could see, there was a giant undergroudn cavern i didnt fully explore), and a brook. Cold climate. For the longest time there were no problems, rain was normal, water was fine, even when i accidentally flooded parts of my lower levels setting up my dining well. However, when an unkillable sand titan showed up, eventually i just said fuck it and decided to flood my whole fortress. Strangely, at this time, any water coming into my fort immediately turned dwarves into stains on the wall as soon as it reached a certain height. Im not sure exactly what height, but there were dwarves standing around in 1/7 and 2/7 water fine, but once the water rose they died in a bloody shower.
Pages: [1] 2 3