Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Lore Discussion: Adamantium (Spoilers)  (Read 4270 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Re: Lore Discussion: Adamantium (Spoilers)
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 08:53:54 pm »

Adamantine is carbon fiber I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere (2D?), in game, that adamantine was used to seal the breaches into earth demons had made.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:33 pm »

If you can source that claim, then we can end this thread.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2010, 08:58:48 pm »

Carbon fiber is carbon fiber Demon repellent seems to work, but then your left to wonder where did it all come from to be used to seal away the demons, and why don't I embark there?

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2010, 09:10:54 pm »

I added these to a few pages in the wiki earlier today, thought it was relevant here:
Quote from: From 'Adamantine'
All this could have probably been avoided if the gods had bothered to make their all-powerful metal capable of withstanding the swing of a copper pick.
Quote from: From 'Demon'
Little do demons know that though their claws and fire cannot pierce the adamantine sealing them away, a simple copper pick can dig right through it with ease. Armok forbid these unholy creatures ever get their hands on one.

I dunno. The whole thing with demons being like "how i mine 4 escape to wreak terror upon world above?" strikes me as hilarious.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2010, 09:19:54 pm »

I added these to a few pages in the wiki earlier today, thought it was relevant here:
Quote from: From 'Adamantine'
All this could have probably been avoided if the gods had bothered to make their all-powerful metal capable of withstanding the swing of a copper pick.
Quote from: From 'Demon'
Little do demons know that though their claws and fire cannot pierce the adamantine sealing them away, a simple copper pick can dig right through it with ease. Armok forbid these unholy creatures ever get their hands on one.

I dunno. The whole thing with demons being like "how i mine 4 escape to wreak terror upon world above?" strikes me as hilarious.

I kinda thought that would be the gods doing. Making adamantine unable to be damaged by demons, while able to be mined by the species of the world, in case of a crisis, like the demons being released.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:15 pm »

To quote Milton, in Paradise Lost
Hurled headlong flaming from th' ethereal sky,
With hideous ruin and combustion, down
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell
In adamantine chains and penal fire,
Who durst defy th' Omnipotent to arms.

The Mad Engineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Tock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2010, 11:01:17 pm »

You gotta admit, slade is a cool name for a hell metal.  It sounds like a combination of jade and slag metal.  Slaaaade...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2010, 12:27:19 am »

Yes, Slade is indeed a very nice name.  Kudos to Toady for coming up with that one.  It just seems to fully embody the horrifying, daunting power and emptiness of the hellish wastes.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2010, 04:16:03 am »

I know I've seen the name Slade used in multiple places before. The only one that comes to mind is the bad guy from Teen Titans (why do I even remember that??)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Dezzick

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2010, 07:52:04 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0A8KT365wlA

I'm suprised it hasn't been mentioned yet, pretty much everyone in the UK knows who they are thanks to that song.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2010, 10:57:03 am »

the original 2D legends mode would say something like "in the time before time, such and such was sealed in the bowles of the earth..."

this, coupled by the idea that mining the adamantine (not even breaching it, just mining it) was enough to unseal the demon, suggests that the adamantium is its self the seal.  and since any unrefined/unforged adamantium transformed to Galena (silver ore) when the demon was slain, I think we can rule out it being any mundane nonmagical substance.

Devlogs and some of the FotF posts have suggested that it its intentionally ambiguous as to wither or not the gods are real, or just something different civilizations happen to believe in.  I'm not aware of any official fiction that ever suggested that gods were the ones who did the imprisoing.

I'm not aware of anything that contradicts it either.  I think Toady is probably leaving himself some wiggle room on what everything is and why its there and what it means.

which is a long hand way of saying "dont read too much into it".

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2010, 11:10:58 am »

True and back when Dwarf Fortress was 2d, that was going to be the game.

Eventually Slade and Adamantine is going to be more explained.

As for Mithril... It isn't a plug for Titanium. it basically is a metal that contains the greatest qualities from every metal (Light, Hard, Shiny) while also being clearly semi-magical.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2010, 12:28:03 pm »

Yeah, the old version does seem to suggest that adamantine is nothing but sliver with some demon magic poured into it to attract mortals. But this no longer seems to be the case in .31, so I think we can rule it out. As for the existance/nonexistance of DF gods, one must consider that every single temple seems to worship a different one, all of whom won't speak to their worshipers or strike down anyone who kills their priests/desecrates their temples/ect. So I would venture to say they are either fake or totaly apathetic to mortals. Besides, we all know that Armok is the one true god.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2010, 12:41:52 pm »

Well the gods current status is a product of the fact that Toady hasn't really added them in, in any sort of tangible way with exclusion of Megabeasts.

I don't consider megabeasts false gods so much.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2010, 03:59:44 pm »

\I don't consider megabeasts false gods so much.

you probably should, seeing has how the current megabeasts trick civilizations into thinking they are incarnations of their gods.  Happens in Legends mode all the time now.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5