Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Lore Discussion: Adamantium (Spoilers)  (Read 4261 times)

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Lore Discussion: Adamantium (Spoilers)
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:01:58 pm »

Okay, I remember a while back that the fanon on adamantium was that it was used to seal away the demons.

I think the adamantium swords just emphasize this idea don't you? Adamantium is obviously a divine metal against demons.

The Demons built massive fortresses/temples when some races unleashed them early on. And these races, knowing the mystical properties of adamantium mined JUST ENOUGH to make these sealing swords before retaking the temples.

The undead are not, in fact, evil. Rather, they are the ancient spirits of the guardians if of these temples, eternally bound to guard the swords sealing the demon's original entrances! If they were EVIL (and thus the servants of the demons) why would they fight people trying to get in? Or why wouldn't they pull up the swords themselves? Any beings INSIDE the temples when found must obviously be guardians.

Slade is the ultimate demonic substance, only demons are able to mine it, using ancient techniques far beyond the kenning of mortals. For any mortal to work it is impossible, and thus it is why the fortresses are made out of Slade, and obviously of demonic origin repurposed into a binding ritual that uses the sword.

Demons, for some reason, are incapable of working LIVING rock, or molten rock, as are most other races. But living rock couldn't be found everywhere, and so the Gods plugged the holes of living rock with adamantium.

Your thoughts guys?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 10:05:40 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Lore Discussion: Adamantium (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 10:24:03 pm »

I think thats a decent reason for Slade's unminabilty.
but what about the it's utterly ridiculous properties from the raws?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:41 pm »

Easter Egg from Toady One.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:36:51 pm »

And on the 8th day, he made Magma.
And on the 9th day, he made Adamantium.
And on the 10th day, he made Slade.

In name of the Cat, the Brother, and the One Toad. Amen.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:40:43 pm »

Back in 2D, when you had the HFS kill your fortress and went there as an adventurer, there was a big ol' demon. If you killed it, all the adamantine turned to dust.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:27 pm »

So maybe, instead of holy, both Addamantium and Slade are actually just supernatural?  Or rather, once addamantium's job, sealing the demons, was finished, it simply ceased to exist on our plane, having no more purpose.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:43 pm »

Back in 2D, when you had the HFS kill your fortress and went there as an adventurer, there was a big ol' demon. If you killed it, all the adamantine turned to dust.

Doesn't happen any more though. So it doesn't count. But One could argue it's a kind of filter. It takes in demonic energy and turns it into holy "binding" energy against the demons :P

anyway. I'm gonna assume people are happy with this explanation and post it under "D For Dwarf" in adamantium.

edit: It's up.
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Adamantine
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:22:32 pm by shadowclasper »
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 12:13:57 am »

I always thought Adamantium is like a hell-based coral, and it grows out of hell when exposed to the world of mortals.

On the other hand, if you break down the word itself you get: Adam(Meaning First Human)-Ant(Meaning Opposite or Polarizing)-Ium(Meaning Element). So adamantium means "Element Opposite of Adam/Man/Human". The opposite of Adam could be interpreted as Eve, who was tempted by the snake, representing the demons. It could also mean women in general, not just Eve. It could also mean somthing opposite of humanity itself. That could mean demons and/or angels, being sentients created before humans, and nothing like us.

But all of this is conjecture except the literal defination. This got really confusing once I started typing this.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Destructicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 12:27:31 am »

Actually, the word "adamant" comes the Greek roots meaning "not able to be conquered" (a + daman).  So the root has nothing to do with Christian mythology.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 12:32:33 am »

Oh that coral theory is just plane cool.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 12:34:14 am »

Actually, the word "adamant" comes the Greek roots meaning "not able to be conquered" (a + daman).  So the root has nothing to do with Christian mythology.

So that would make "Unconquerable Element" the real meaning. But as it can be mined, it can be conqured. Thus, what is now slade would be a more proper place for adamantium. Then again, you cannot be said to have conqured an element if mining it results in having everyone in your settlment slowly killed by demons. I still stand by my coral theory.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 12:37:05 am »

Double actually, IRL Adamantium, Adamant or Adamantine are archaic names for Diamond(Wikipedia mentions it was mostly used during the middle-ages).
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 12:38:43 am »

I don't think I want to question to origins of mithril.

Unless of coarse, Tolken just made it up and that's the end of the story.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:11 am »

Double actually, IRL Adamantium, Adamant or Adamantine are archaic names for Diamond(Wikipedia mentions it was mostly used during the middle-ages).
[/quote]

As far as I know, diamond isn't present in DF. So adamantine could be mundane as just being diamond, although the proporties don't match up. And there does have to be some reason that the seals in demonic fortresses are always adamantium weapons.
No Gods, No Masters.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2010, 01:03:08 am »

Diamond is present. It's not very common (even in the new version,) but it's definitely present. Take a look around when you strike kimberlite.
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5