Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*  (Read 4075 times)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 10:35:01 pm »

Go read a few hundred pages of stories in the community games section, or SA LP archive, if you can't understand the ascii. I recommend Boatmurdered, Nist Akath, and especially Migrursut. By the time you have spent a few days reading you should no longer need a graphical tileset, have a new respect for this game and how far it has come, and would have killed some time before the next patch in a very entertaining way.

See, this is just the point. You don't need to do that sort of things with other games, and it's something that people have come to expect. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker for everyone, but you can't expect everyone to care enough to condition themselves to understand the game.

Although the fact that he's raging on this version is still pretty hilarious.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 10:44:30 pm »

I don't see why some people hate ASCII. I used to use Mayday graphics, but when I downloaded 40d19 I was to lazy to get graphics with it, so I played the ASCII. It's BETTER. Graphics try to cram to much into a small space.

Also, the incredible amount of selfishness and whining in the OP is, well, incredible. Toady didn't slave away on a new release for a year to get THIS from people. Suck it up, learn ASCII or GTFO until, well, you learn to read the BIG, BOLD TEXT on the front page of the wiki, which links straight to a mayday tileset for DF2010.

True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:33 pm »

Nothing but bug report threads should really be posted in this forum. This sort of topic probably belongs in the DF general discussion forum.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 10:59:34 pm »

Oh man, can't stop laughing. I've been absolutely bingeing on this since the release and love every minute of it. I haven't lost a fort in its first year since... well, since I started playing. There's things to learn, and unlearn, and work around until the next patch, and thats what makes this game so great. There's always something new to try, and discover, and screw up.

It's also worth noting that you are, in essence, blaming Toady for the fact that a sequel he wrote is incompatible with a mod made by a third party for the previous game.

Man up and deal with the ascii. In case you weren't aware, the view command is much more forgiving, and in many cases a detailed description is just a keystroke or two away.

And for the record, I prefer the ascii. Much cleaner.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 11:00:48 pm »

Uhhh, there's a gigantic link to the mayday graphics set on the front of the wiki, and a link in the modding section of the forums to an updated version. It's been there over a day, before OP made his post and they work.

So before you rant about how something isn't tailored to your liking I have no problem saying, "wow, might want to look for it instead of looking like a whinging moron"?

Course, there's a 99.9% chance that OP was just a troll, so I'm not wasting any more time here. Best thing to do would be to ignore all this.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 11:02:57 pm »

I don't see why some people hate ASCII. I used to use Mayday graphics, but when I downloaded 40d19 I was to lazy to get graphics with it, so I played the ASCII. It's BETTER. Graphics try to cram to much into a small space.

Also, the incredible amount of selfishness and whining in the OP is, well, incredible. Toady didn't slave away on a new release for a year to get THIS from people. Suck it up, learn ASCII or GTFO until, well, you learn to read the BIG, BOLD TEXT on the front page of the wiki, which links straight to a mayday tileset for DF2010.

I wouldn't call ASCII better, but it's certainly not as hard to understand as some people make it out to be.

I remember the first time I tried DF, I wasn't confused by the ASCII but I was by the interface... I actually gave up on the game at first, came back to it when I got bored a few months later and used a tutorial on the wiki to figure stuff out, then I had a blast.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 11:26:05 pm »

Wow, I was surprised when I read the first post, I mean, complaining about the speed and calling the new version crap when, at minimum, it has to deal with 100+ Z-levels of caverns, underground pools, magma sea, and fun?

Oh, and complaining about the new version wrecking graphics when there are new creatures? new creatures need new graphics!

And the fact that you registered and posted only two posts, both that are offensive and say the new version sucks, makes me have very little respect for you.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 11:38:34 pm »

Nah, I think he just had to bitch about something.
So I guess the bug he was reporting is "People are seemingly unable to keep their bile to themselves", which sadly is beyond Toady's jurisdiction :(
In all honesty, I'm having a blast with this release. Sure, the new military system is a mess, the combat is a bit broken, and I'm seriously considering turning off invaders because my dorfs just can't get their acts together, but it's still fun and there's still a lot of potential buried under the glitchiness. I can't wait for the first bugfix!

!!DWARF FORTRESS v0.31.01!!
The best piece of crap ever
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 11:44:50 pm »

OP, all I can say is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, what's your problem, sir?
Narrow group of "olds" are bitching at everyone that sees that ascii is not good for 'em.
I lost my respect for "olds" after realizing, that monthly donations are SO high here, and still, narrow group is only that counts here as consumers.
I don't like attitude of "old ones" here, at last part of them.
Go focking back to your arena and ascii.
We, non-ascii mode fans are part of THAT community too, dude.
And we have right to own opinions.
You are NOT better than we are, imho, so you stfu now, Sir.

For me it is clear that current v0.31.01 release is given just for eliminating donators anger attacks(showoff that 0.31 IS real, nothing more).
It's pretty useless in long-term gameplay, so it's clear that we all may need to better, stable release.

Also - my complain - as 0.31 is beta of alpha, i tried to tell forum masters that making SUBFORUM for that damn early rel is good idea to PREVENT actual mess on forum.
I was ignored(predictable).
So, now, you will have bunch of posts made by unhappy PLAYERS everywhere.
Your choice.

msg to OP:
RTFM for mayday's, goddamit. You cannot start new game with set, actually, you need to ADD it AFTER worldgen.

For all ascii fans: ascii ended with ADOM(my no.1 game ever, btw).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 11:57:21 pm by xoen »

Nagassh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:50:57 pm »

See, this is just the point. You don't need to do that sort of things with other games, and it's something that people have come to expect. It's not necessarily a deal-breaker for everyone, but you can't expect everyone to care enough to condition themselves to understand the game.

If they don't care enough to 'condition' themselves to understand the game then surely they don't care enough to play it, it's like expecting to be able to play a tabletop without understanding the rules or a game of football while being incredibly unfit.

You might get something done, but don't expect people to pander to your needs if it's hard.

Personally I love the mayday set and avoid playing in ASCII - not because of an inability to understand it but because a) I prefer square grids to rectangles and b) It looks prettier. But if you've played the game for any length of time you can generally see what the ASCII version of something is very quickly.

Tileset preferences aside, OP slagging off the release because a tileset didn't work is pretty childish, especially when it does work. Making the rant in a bug report section that could have better uses is even more irritating.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 11:51:30 pm »

OP, all I can say is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, what's your problem, sir?
Narrow group of "olds" are bitching at everyone that sees that ascii is not good for 'em.
I lost my respect for "olds" after realizing, that monthly donations are SO high here, and still, narrow group is only that counts here as consumers.
I don't like attitude of "old ones" here, at last part of them.
Go focking back to your arena and ascii.
We, non-ascii mode fans are part of THAT community too, dude.
And we have right to own opinions.
I think the big red STFU was aimed at the fact that he made an inflammatory post, probably not even in the correct forum, and then proceeded so spew his gastric juices all over our collective face. Any connection to ASCII/no ASCII is purely conjectural.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2010, 12:06:48 am »

I think the big red STFU was aimed at the fact that he made an inflammatory post, probably not even in the correct forum, and then proceeded so spew his gastric juices all over our collective face. Any connection to ASCII/no ASCII is purely conjectural.

Well, if it's ok for you(such responses)..let's skip it.
Sry.
I lost moderator function on some forum for similar behaviour...imagine.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2010, 12:11:39 am »

Well, if it's ok for you(such responses)..let's skip it.
Sry.
I lost moderator function on some forum for similar behaviour...imagine.
Consider it skipped, then. :)

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2010, 12:17:29 am »

If they don't care enough to 'condition' themselves to understand the game then surely they don't care enough to play it, it's like expecting to be able to play a tabletop without understanding the rules or a game of football while being incredibly unfit.

The difficulty in understanding the game lies in the ascii art and horrible user interface, which most people expect more of from games. The rules for football and tabletop games aren't written in some ancient language. There are plenty of people who would play Dwarf Fortress if only it lived up to the standards that they have grown to expect. You cannot blame someone for moving on when plenty of other games provide a fun experience without needing to spend any time at all deciphering it.

InsanityPrelude

• Bay Watcher
  • O SHI--
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2010, 12:23:56 am »

I can understand the ASCII after a while, but it just looks more polished to me with a graphical tileset (and it's nice to be able to tell your kittens from your crundles at a glance instead of jumping to the squad controls every time you notice a little red "c" running about.)

Still, compatibility being temporarily broken is no reason to bash Toady like that. Don't be a douchewaffle, man.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 12:26:10 am by InsanityPrelude »
Forget down stairs, make an up stair
And then what?  Mine the sky? . . .  Actually, that'd be awesome.
Pages: 1 [2] 3