Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*  (Read 4073 times)

Onxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:51:23 pm »

Rant ON:

Ok, so I don't have a shitty old computer but have a decent machine of fun and like to play Dwarf Fortress with MayDays Graphics...

I download and install this new version of utter crap, and it turns the game into shit, meaning, unplayable. Yes it may well have all new features and new keys for doing things, but it ain't a upgrade at all, not when the creater decides to make this new version clash with Maydays which personally for me made the game playable.

I find it extremely frustrating that with this new version with the so called fixed version of Maydays get a bad error and go into windows mode of crap.

I am going to go back to the other version, at least it was capatable with the Maydays graphic mod and actually was playable.

I advise anyone else even thinking about installing the new version, don't bother, it's crap.

Rant OFF...
Do the right thing, you know the right thing. Do the right thing so you never regret what you've done.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
Re: The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:55:01 pm »

My good sir, i do hope you realise that this is;

A: The unstable inital release, Toady is working on the repaired version.

B: The Speed-enhancing versions havent been incorporated yet.

C: Toady does this of his own voilition, it is very, VERY rude and selfish to call his new work "Utter crap".

I really wish you would have thought out your post here with greater care, Toady is attempting to fix the problems you mentioned, give him a break, he has been creating this version for the better part of a year.

Additionally: Toady did not "Decide" to cause DF2010 clash with Mayday's graphics set, that was an unintentional side-effect of the process of upgrading. You may find a version of the mayday graphics set that funtions Here, which you could have found with a cursory search.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 08:58:03 pm by Jakkarra »

Gnoll Fortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:57:53 pm »

hm I don't see why it would cause a clash with any graphics sets.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 08:59:23 pm »

The graphics formats have been impaired, some formats will not correctly assosciate with the program, and Mike hasnt created the new tiles yet anyway, so he wouldnt have released an updated set yet anyway.

sethwick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:10:16 pm »

*Deep breath* Okay. . .

If you wanted a nearly bug free release, merged with the #19 stuff, it would have taken longer. Maybe a lot longer. Would you rather have no new version at all instead of a buggy one that can't use graphics? If not, stop complaining and help try to isolate bugs. If so, just play the old version for another month or so until the merge has been made. Personally I'm VERY happy that Toady decided to release it like this. For one the bugs are sometimes entertaining and two I get to play it, even if buggy.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:30:04 pm »

Rant ON:

Ok, so I don't have a shitty old computer but have a decent machine of fun and like to play Dwarf Fortress with MayDays Graphics...

I download and install this new version of utter crap, and it turns the game into shit, meaning, unplayable. Yes it may well have all new features and new keys for doing things, but it ain't a upgrade at all, not when the creater decides to make this new version clash with Maydays which personally for me made the game playable.

I find it extremely frustrating that with this new version with the so called fixed version of Maydays get a bad error and go into windows mode of crap.

I am going to go back to the other version, at least it was capatable with the Maydays graphic mod and actually was playable.

I advise anyone else even thinking about installing the new version, don't bother, it's crap.

Rant OFF...

Translation: Someone call the Waaahmberlamps! I'm highly allergic to ASCII and coherency!

;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:37:18 pm by Jehdin »

hasonish

• Bay Watcher
  • Look into my eyes....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:33:32 pm »

Sounds like somebody had a horrible day. >.>

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 09:39:17 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady has all but flat-out stated that this release is a piece of crap. Frankly I'm surprised anyone expected anything remotely playable after release, what with over a year's cumulation of bugs.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 09:42:49 pm »

I'm pretty sure Toady has all but flat-out stated that this release is a piece of crap. Frankly I'm surprised anyone expected anything remotely playable after release, what with over a year's cumulation of bugs.

Thing is, it sounds like this guy didn't even play it, he saw Mayday's tileset wouldn't work and went on a rant about how it's crap.

Anyone who's played it knows it's buggy (but still fun as hell.)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:46:09 pm by Jehdin »

Adultratedhydra

• Bay Watcher
  • That is a hydralisk.
    • View Profile
Re: The *UpGrade* Is A WIN FOR MANKIND
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 09:46:08 pm »

i agree. its buggy, the new features have a lurning curve mapped out by jackson pollock, dwarves work themselves to near death.

But its DF2010, Its buggy but its damn awesome still.
If violence isnt solving your problem then add magma.

Whiskey Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2010, 09:53:30 pm »

OP, all I can say is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2010, 10:02:33 pm »

If I was able to assemble a graphics set and make it work in this version, there is nothing wrong with it.

OP, all I can say is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Indeed. Are you so dependant on Mayday's set? You should not be.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Patarak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2010, 10:26:58 pm »

It's possible he has other games to play rather than devoting the time to deciphering the ascii.

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 10:28:02 pm »

Go read a few hundred pages of stories in the community games section, or SA LP archive, if you can't understand the ascii. I recommend Boatmurdered, Nist Akath, and especially Migrursut. By the time you have spent a few days reading you should no longer need a graphical tileset, have a new respect for this game and how far it has come, and would have killed some time before the next patch in a very entertaining way.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Matthew117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2010, 10:32:57 pm »

I am entirely dependent on maydays graphic set as well. While I was upset that I couldn't play it, just hearing about all the new content and glancing at how all the new stuff works has been incredibly entertaining. I am blown away by all the new stuff in it so many things that the game has been needing for a while like training weapons. Its difficult to wait, but at least now I know how amazing the new version is.
Pages: [1] 2 3