Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*  (Read 4065 times)

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
Re: The *UpGrade* Is A DOWNGRADE *Rant ON*
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 12:25:18 am »

I can understand the ASCII after a while, but it just looks more polished to me with the graphical tileset (and it's nice to be able to tell your cats from your crundles at a glance.)

Still, compatibility being temporarily broken is no reason to bash Toady like that. Don't be a douchewaffle.
Agreed. Assuming my agreement is worth something.
True, everyone is indeed entitled to their own opinion and preferences, but I'd rather they be civil about it.
BTW, this topic is silly and I suggest we turn it into a giant hugbox purely out of spite.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Gnooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

I personally prefer graphics but guess what...the new release was playable with it within a few hours.  Granted it's buggy and yes I've had more than one crash, big deal, we all knew this would be a buggy release...IT'S A NEW VERSION.

If it bothers you...play the old one til bugs get fixed, don't bitch about it.  The amount of complexity in this game is astounding, every fort I play I find a new way to appreciate the work that goes into a project like this.  I think any new release, buggy, crashy, whatever - is great.  This is a free to play game and is probably one of the best games ever created, regardless of being default ASCII and a learning curve like dropping off a cliff.

Would we really love it without it?
A dwarf walks into a bar.
Dwarf cancels Haul Item: Booze now available.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 12:55:23 am »

So yeah, there is a Mayday version out.  There's a link on the wiki and everything.  Suck it up buttercup.
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 01:14:29 am »

Hi!

Xoen: There are two aspects I want to respond to in your explanations:

First of all, just as you expect people to respect your preference for graphics, you should also be tolerant towards those who prefer ASCII (like me, I admit). Telling us that ASCII ended at some time in the past is just as unwarranted as telling you to get used to ASCII. We like ASCII, you like graphics, and the game allows both of us to have it our way. So no need to attack each other for our preferences. Or do you want to turn ASCII fans into non-fans thus replacing what you perceive as an oldie - newbie prejudice by an ASCII - graphics prejudice? Mind you, I don't want to attack you, but I think your statement may lead to unfortunate conclusions if taken to extreme.

Secondly, the new release was not completely useless as you stated and not just a PR gag. The game itself is in alpha version, meaning that it is undergoing testing for actual playability (in other words, play testers are trying to see if it can actually be played). As such, the programmer needs those alpha bug reports to clean up the version. By releasing this version, he made an effort to get a broader tester base to catch more bugs so the next stable release will really be stable and not contain bugs that thwart entire parts of the gameplay.

Toady One gave us all fair warning about this being an initial, extremely buggy release and it is expected that those who download and play it are willing to experiment with the bugs and report them. However, you are not required to do so, and people hopefully will not look down upon you if you decide to wait for the next stable release and instead play 40d and maybe hop in in some of the conversations and have fun at the forums. So, I hope there can be a live- and- let- live attitude between those who decide to go with the buggy version and those who decide to wait until the worst bugs have been fixed.

On a personal note, I am positively surprised that I have not met any real game-breaking bugs on my personal playing - sure, a few features I like are having problems, but there is no thing like the eternal sleep we had in the first 3D versions.

Anyhow, I hope you don't feel offended by this post, and I wish you have fun with the version and style of the game you play.

Deathworks

xoen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 01:26:50 am »

Deathworks, i agree with your post, absolutely. De gustibus etc etc.

---
To be honest - new version really should have its own subforum to prevent general mess; as 31 is in betatest stage(early bugfixing stage), not intended for real long-term gaming.
It would eliminate such Threads as that one, imho.
Just that.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 01:34:35 am »

The issue in the OP seems to have been resolved with the link in the second post, so I'm going to go ahead and lock this since the topic itself has been handled and this is in the bug reports forum.  You may continue any other side discussions in general discussion if you like.  I've gotten three reports on this thread so far, so I think continuing the discussion here would not work.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: 1 2 [3]