Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Isdenurdim, the Tale of Fear and Clowns [Community Fort in 40d18]  (Read 2747 times)

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because DF2010 Recently came out, I decided to pass the time while a less buggy version is worked on by creating a community Fortress.
With no viable source of water.
I will be using 40d18 with the Mayday Tileset

Dear Urist~

As you know, in recent months, the Number of Goblin Raids and Kidnappings has increased by a significant number. As the head of commerse, this is most distressing to me. As you know, trade is the only thing that keeps this nation afloat. Taking this into account, I would like to request that you send an expedition to the location marked on this map.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

As head of the committe of foreign affairs. I am sure you could quickly assemble a force to set up a new fortress in the area.

In short, this is what I need you to do:
1. Maintain a military force large enough to eliminate goblinoid activity in the area.
2. As this colony cannot be maintaned for the sole reason of protection, we of the council deemed that is will fund the empire. If it fails to meet our mandate. It will be scrapped.

with wishes for a long and healthy beard,
     Urdim Platterspoons

Ok, waiting for applications for 6 dwarves. If you could, state name, preferred profession and preferred gender.

Note: Due to the nature of this fortress, I will allow up to three combat oriented dwarves to be made.

Reminder: This is first come first serve, so send in your application today.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 09:40:38 pm by bulborbish »

Humaan

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, I know Human is spelled with 1 "a"
    • View Profile
Re: Isdenurdim, the Tale of Greed and Determination
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:43:24 pm »

Name: Humaan
Job: Insane Murderer Macedwarf
Insane Goal: Be a master a hitting heads... off.
Quote from: SolarShado
Hell yes! Who need a space elevator when you've got a space escalator!?!?
Quote from: Cthulhu
Watch out bots, Sherlock Humaan is on the case.

Sir Broccoli

• Bay Watcher
  • Right in the goddamn FACE!
    • View Profile

Name: Sir Broccoli
Job: Mason
Preferred gender: Male
If sad, apply kittens.

Kate Wissen

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Engineer
    • View Profile
    • http://katewissen.blogspot.com/

Name: Kate
Job: Cook
Gender Pref: Female

I'll also take on any other jobs you might need done. No need to force on you a useless layabout so soon.
Check out my current Community Fortress LostPages.

One day I hope to create the Monkey Torture Chamber of Doom!

GlassInMyEyeGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • "Yes, brown bread... for my BREAD GUN!"
    • View Profile

Name: Glass
Profession: Sociopath (to become captain of the guard)
Insane Goal: Get away with excessive police brutality, become real freaking good with a sword.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:18:02 pm by GlassInMyEyeGuy »
"And the man is there, behind bulletproof glass, slumped over the counter, DEAD! Or sleeping- but it doesn't matter, because you're banging on the glass crying: 'Wake up, I want groceries!'. He ultimately wakes up, but then it becomes a game of charades over what you need from him whilst talking through the glass. Meanwhile, a cue is forming behind you. A cue of MURDERERS! With DIFFERENT WEAPONS!" -Eddie Izzard speaking about late-night petrol (gas) station shopping

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile

Name: Wolfe
Profession: Hunter/Butcher
Goal: Become the Best Shot in the land. and also make tasty cutlets 
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

Mm, since it seems there is one dwarf left:

Name: Demonic Spoon McUrist
Profession: Miner and Engraver, if you could make him the trader, bookkeeper and manager as well that would be awesome but just miner and engraver would be fine. Make him do odd jobs as wel when his not busy to build up his stats.
Goal: To become the most statted out dwarf of all time!

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks People.

If anyone else wants to join, leave name and (preferred) job, and I will assign you to the next migrant (or child) that becomes available.

Next Update: Sometime in 5 hrs. at a minimum, max 7 hrs.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 01:07:53 pm by bulborbish »

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Log of Bulborbish, Selected Expedition Leader of Isdenurdim
Obsidian 27, Year 29 in the Realm of Kenomthadar
Recently, I have been contacted by the head of Foreign Affairs on the matter of founding a new outpost. As ridiculous as the prospect seems, I was “persuaded” by the Royal Guard to agree to the mission. I enter the trade depot, and find that all the supplies and personnel I would need were already assembled. This is my first impressions on the people they have given me:

Humaan is a discharged member of the local militia. Apparently, he spent all of his time admiring Gold, his favorite metal, instead of training.

Sir Broccoli appears not to be a knight of any kind. He is vulger, but is skills while working in the masonry guild will help us set up shop.

Kate, a Chef, is the only person that came here willingly. She worked as a cook for the   Farmers guild until some incident, which I have not been able to discover, that left her reputation ruined. I like her personality, and she makes a brew that leaves me impressed.

Glass is apparently an ex convict that was on death row. He was offered to protect the new outpost in exchange for his life. From what I gather, he was training as a wrestler when he purposely attacked the royal tax collecter. One of the more sane of the people here.

Wolfe appears to be the least sane, by contrast. She, as a child, seems to had sneaked up on and butchered cats. There owners were partially distressed, but her father, a esteemed merchant, managed to get her a stable job as a hunter. It seems to suit her.

And finally, we have the over achiever of the group. “Demonic Spoon” McUrist is remarkable in the fact that She is here on a academic scholarship. She appears to be a genius at mining, and she constantly brags on how precise she can be at smoothing rock. I expect that I can delegate all additional jobs to her.

Peeking into our supplies, I managed to find a few brass bars. I will contain my delight until I can get an able blacksmith to forge a brass statue for me.

Granite 1, Year 30 in the Realm of Kenomthadar

After a quick race to reach the designated point on the map we were given, we now are looking out on the place we will call home, at least for a year of two. What strikes me as odd is the full pools of water, when there is not a cloud within 100 Kiloblocks distance. Seeing that we have no functioning picks, I briefly set up a forge and make one. Seeing that the majority of our group lacks proper equipment, I am quick to make a mace, shield, and cross bow as well. With everyone going off to start the jobs I assigned to them, I forge the brass statue. When living quarters are assigned to me, I will have it placed in them.

Oh dear, Wolfe came back with a hoary marmot corpse. I head out and look at the damage.

I need to remember not to make her cross, or I may be the next to feel her wrath.

Granite 15, Year 30 in the  Realm of Kenomthadar
We found some stone. A lot of stone.

We also managed to find some metal during initial scouting of the surface.

If these Reports are true, then we are standing on a supply of metal that will carry us for many years. Though I have not seen it myself, there is even rumors that aluminum exists in the area, and on the surface no less.

Felsite 7, Year 30 in the Realm of Kenomthadar

I have received word today that the farming level was complete. I personally walked down there when I felt a strange feeling under my shoes. Looking down I saw what was considered the rarest of materials back at the mountain homes.

If we can get a decent glassmaker here, all of the economic woes we may face would never happen!

Malachite 15, Year 30 in the Realm of Kenomthadar

Today we encountered two unwanted guests. What surprised me is the fact that the managed to find us, despite the fact that none know we are working here at the moment. The fortunate thing is that Humaan, eager to show that he has some purpose in life, took care of one of them.

Unfortunately, the other one managed to run off with Wolfe's Crossbow, because for some reason she left it outside in plain sight.

Sometimes, I wonder why I am the one cursed to lead these fools.

Galena 2, Year 30 in the Realm of Kenomthadar

Today, I asked a report on the progress. What surprised me was Wolfe's Report

I we engineer it correctly, we may be able to set up a reliable source of wild horse meat If we manage to capture this herd.

Limestone 14, Year 30 in the Realm of Kenomthadar

Wolfe is in a bad state.
After combating what appears to be 6 hoary marmots at once, we managed to save her with the help of Glass and Sir Broccoli. I even understand why Sir Broccoli carries that title. Though he may be vulger and dirty, truly a heart of gold and honor lurk behind the soot-covered surface.

Okay people, time for you to make a decision (2 actually)

Focus for the coming year
a. Economic Growth (focus on training skills that will provide income)
b. Military Growth (focus on training a military)
c.Improve Quality of Life (Make better and less cluttered facilities)
d.Other (please specify)

The other choice I need you to make is if I should cheat and restore Wolfe into good health or leave her to die?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 08:39:50 pm by bulborbish »

GlassInMyEyeGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Other: Justice/medical build!

Let's make jails, hospitals and hospitable jails (that aren't that hospitable, I'm funny that way).

So just wondering, would it be alright if I wrote a journal for my character? (I tried something with an old community fort, Nilarzes, but it was insanely short-lived).
"And the man is there, behind bulletproof glass, slumped over the counter, DEAD! Or sleeping- but it doesn't matter, because you're banging on the glass crying: 'Wake up, I want groceries!'. He ultimately wakes up, but then it becomes a game of charades over what you need from him whilst talking through the glass. Meanwhile, a cue is forming behind you. A cue of MURDERERS! With DIFFERENT WEAPONS!" -Eddie Izzard speaking about late-night petrol (gas) station shopping

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm good with a log for your character. It compensates for my mediocre writing skill.

Also, you mean a Justice Build? This is version 40d18, not DF2010

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile

a. Economic Growth and some traps for basic defenses. We need trade goods for the caravans.

GlassInMyEyeGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Also, you mean a Justice Build? This is version 40d18, not DF2010

... Does that change anything? (I thought justice was pretty much the same...)

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile

am i still alive?

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wolfe, you are still alive. I can cheat and heal you, but you will die of dehydration before your wounds heal enough so you can walk.

@glass, you were talking about a hospital build, which is what I was commenting on. The justice build is possible, though we don't have a sheriff at the moment.

We still need to decide a policy, and If I should cheat to save Wolfe.
Pages: [1] 2