Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: [31.01] Skeletal creatures might be unkillable.  (Read 4583 times)

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[31.01] Skeletal creatures might be unkillable.
« on: April 03, 2010, 08:21:30 pm »

On embark, I was attacked by a giant skeletal eagle. I fought back with:

1 axedwarf
1 xbow dwarf
3 dogs
5 civilians recruited as wrestlers.

The dogs got pretty beat up, but none of my dwarves got anything worse than a bruise. For the first season. The giant skeleton had every single body part in the red, including all the toes and ribs, but refused to die.

My dwarves continued to fight, despite taking wounds very occasionally... forever. All of the civilians reached Elite Wrestler. At least till they all died of thirst.

Exciting this combat was not. Surely this must not be intentional.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
Re: [31.01] Skeletal creatures might be unkillable.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 10:36:19 pm »

Same problem. Skeletals are UNKILLABLE.

- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Nether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 01:52:13 am »

That's great!
Training pens can be made with wrestlers fighting with skeleton beasts!

DoctorZuber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 03:24:43 am »

This is a meaty subject. On the bug tracker this is one of the longest bug reports around. It is right up there with pathfinding as a heavily discussed and well known problem.

The problem seems to be with skeletons, bronze colossus, and possibly other bloodless creatures. Apparently since they cannot bleed, the game engine is having a hard time figuring out when they should be dead.

Short swords have been said to be more effective than other weapons against such creatures since they can cause severing wounds, resulting in decapitation or chopping in half, either of which can finally convince the game engine that a creature is actually dead.

Other weapons against such creatures often result in truly epic battles (sometimes lasting months) in which a battered creature will be literally beaten into a bloodless pulp and yet it still stubbornly refuses to die. Occasionally such creatures can still be killed this way, It is believed this is from brain injuries.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 03:26:27 am by DoctorZuber »

Teh Zip File

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:17:16 am »

Zombies too:

It's a giant humanoid zombie and it won't DIE. Both its arms are cut off, its left foot is cut off, almost every body part is red. Dwarves (My military, caravan guards) have been attacking it for over 2 hours and it won't die. Its ripped off 2 dwarf's arms and killed 5 dogs with its mouth.

It's destroying my fortress too because the combat is killing my FPS.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:14:51 am »

I actually had this applied to a GIANT!
Not a skeleton. A living creature with blood.
The wounds reached 2! pages.
What the heck?

The only stuff that kills now is:
Decapitation and blood loss.

I can't kill anything with a mace nor hammer. :(

ein Syndication

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2010, 10:05:22 am »

I had this problem in my current fort for a while. Accidentally embarked as a dead civ, so I only got 13 dwarves total, which made me not want to risk setting them to military in these terrifying mountains. Got some bears in place of military, which ended up fighting a single zombie goat for a year and a half.

Gave a completely unskilled dwarf a steel battle axe, he walked over and chopped it in half in a manner of seconds.

meeneque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2010, 11:28:52 am »

I happened to get a beast made of coral, which also refused to die and during 2 months fight killed over 20 of my dwarves including some nobles. So i got double impact bug (cannot reasign new nobles).

g1real

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2010, 02:06:00 pm »

Must unfortunately report that my current fortress got wiped out by 1 Giant Frog because military wouldn't train, they went in by pairs, couldnt get further then yellow wounds (broken?) and the frog regenerated all wounds within 2 seconds after fighting.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2010, 03:00:15 pm »

I've got a Forgotten Beast shaped like a Kingfisher composed of variscite in my cavern as we speak. I'm giddy that such an unusual creature can be generated, but it won't die. It's already killed one wrestler and has crippled two other dwarves and two war dogs; however, I've chopped off both its feet and its tail, so I'm hoping that I might get a lucky decapitation.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Stele007

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2010, 03:33:14 pm »

Yeah, most creatures seem to heal their wounds once a day or something like that, even in the middle of combat.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2010, 03:37:31 pm »

Creatures made of abnormal tissues can't heal wounds, as far as I know; that simply isn't the problem.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Thakh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://compus.sytes.net
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 07:35:54 pm »

It's only a flesh wound.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2010, 11:41:52 am »

So the problem is pretty much that golems and skeletons no longer have [SEVERONBREAKS]?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2010, 12:22:29 pm »

So the problem is pretty much that golems and skeletons no longer have [SEVERONBREAKS]?

I think so.

Axes and swords get around this because they hack off limbs anyways, but apparently blunt attacks can no longer break limbs to the point that the limb is removed.

For a fleshy creature, like a dwarf, this makes sense. Even if you pulverize the bone, the limb will remain attached. For a skeleton the limb should fall off, because there is only bone there, no skin or muscle to hold the limb in place.

Without the limb falling off dwarves will continue to attack the already destroyed limbs, which means they will be unable to actually destroy the undead creature.

Axes and swords just do a process of elimination. Literally. Remove the various limbs, so there are now fewer targets to attack that are still attached to the creature, and when they run low on targets they'll have much higher odds of destroying the skull.
Pages: [1] 2