Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A terrifying possibility  (Read 1331 times)

DKS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A terrifying possibility
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:57:32 pm »

So I started my first fort for this version. Find the wagon in the perfect spot and dig down. After getting a couple of rooms for my dwarfs to work in I dug down farther and farther. Low and behold, my first cavern!

These things are huge by the way; mine goes past what was at first revealed in all directions. It is quite intimidating. Anyhow, it was soon after this checked the civilizations and found an unnamed Olm man civ. Then later noticed my fort had 191000 dwarf bucks worth of architecture. Now I'm scared to go down there XD. I somehow imagine an ancient empire just waiting for me to open the locked door so it can march out upon the world and rain destruction.

On a related note, can animal people tame animals or just main civs like human or elves? Picture a Olm men riding around on carp. Hehe

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
Re: A terrifying possibility
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 08:06:14 pm »

I have heard rumors of ancient ruins underground, though I haven't seen any myself. Also, I believe a while back Toady mentioned something about batmen riding giant bats... :o

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:35:25 pm »

Also, I believe a while back Toady mentioned something about batmen riding giant bats... :o
Protip-kill it with magma.
Hello Hunam

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:24:46 pm »

I've had between 109,000 and 250,000 in architecture in all three of my starting forts (so far). Two of them had cave-ins instantly at startup around the -23 to -35 Z level area, one of which left a masterwork Clownium short sword in my fort inventory on floor -28. I was afraid to go get it, and got mobbed by goblins before I could see what was there.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:57:27 pm »

That means a temple, ala temple of time in LoZ, is buried deep underground.  The sword seals an ancient evil.  Or so the legends say.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Wh1tefang12

• Bay Watcher
  • If all else fails apply magma
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:15 pm »

Whats all this talk about clown related things. Is it code for the new hfs minerals/enemies?
Hmm whats that smell... Oh hi Urist still taking that nap, its been 5 months I can only manage to sleep 3 days. You might want to get that Axe wound checked out though; you are in the Hospital.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:49:24 pm »

Don't be silly. LITERAL clowns, you know, the kind that child have very divided feelings about. They're all packed in a tiny clown car, deep underground.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:52:20 pm »

*staggers out of the mines, clothes rent, trailing puddles of custard and whipped cream that vomits out of his mouth between gasps*

The pies... the pies...
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 11:27:38 pm »

Don't be silly. LITERAL clowns, you know, the kind that child have very divided feelings about.
What are you talking about?

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 11:29:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

rb0014

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 12:01:32 pm »

I picked a Haunted starting area.  Starting out, I have 560k+ architechture worth, an unamed Olm-man civilization, an unnamed Serpent-man civ, and an Adamantine Scimitar about 100 z-levels down.  Bring on the fun!