Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.31.01] Embarking on cave floods it with random junk  (Read 833 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
[0.31.01] Embarking on cave floods it with random junk
« on: April 03, 2010, 07:37:37 pm »

Embarked on top of a cave, upon arrival there's this massive pile of junk spread out over a large portion of the map, especially within the cave and the cavern it connects to.

On top of the small giant population within, there's somewhere between two and three thousand assorted bits of food and crafts stuck in the 2x2 area, mostly in and around the cave itself.

A representative picture:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of the z-levels of the cave, from the bottom of the cavern to the top of the hill covering the entrance to the actual cave, looks more or less like that. The miasma seems to be coming from the food that was laying around.

A poorly displayed list of what was laying around:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Nothing in said list was brought with the settlers.

As a side question, is this happening to anyone else? You can have caves display by default in the worldgen params, if anyone's interested in checking it out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: [0.31.01] Embarking on cave floods it with random junk
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:41:39 pm »

Are any of the giants named? Mega and semi-megabeasts like to steal stuff in worldgen and stash it in caves. With the new longer worldgens and megabeasts that never die, it's not surprising that it would accumulate to this level.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 08:29:55 pm »

Actually, I think more than one of them was, though they may have gained the name after they started pounding on one of my ad-tine mini-collossi. That's probably what's causing it, in any case.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 09:48:38 pm »

This isn't a new bug - I've seen this in the 38d series.   Same situation though - giant occupied caves, stuff scattered everywhere.

CrackFile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 10:32:40 pm »

I think it does this so that if you visit one of these caves on adventure mode there will actually be loot and supplies to be had, but the explanation behind it is whatever jerkwad creature(s) have decided to chill there brought the crap in from towns that they raided.

As megabeasts and such are far more badass now, and worldgen lasts much longer, their loot hordes have naturally grown in comparison to the last version.
Decency and Logic have been struck down

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 10:39:23 pm »

Not a bug. I've seen lizard-people colonies with various doodads scattered around their cave camp. What you have there is just giants amassing kitchy knick-knacks.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:51:10 pm »

Not a bug. I've seen lizard-people colonies with various doodads scattered around their cave camp. What you have there is just giants amassing kitchy knick-knacks.
True, but I think they need to accumulate stuff slower. 30 large gems is... a lot. Embark with a few soldiers, kill the giants and you have enough food for years.
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...