Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to keep your dwarves from suiciding at work?  (Read 1235 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
How to keep your dwarves from suiciding at work?
« on: April 03, 2010, 06:33:34 pm »

Pretty simple question actualy. I just recently had 4 of my 19 dwarves suicide at work because they refused to go for a drink. What's the best way to deal with this? I'm currently resorting to giving my whole fortress a day off ever so often, but it's a lot of work to cancel all the orders that are on repeat...

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: How to keep your dwarves from suiciding at work?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 06:38:47 pm »

How bizarre. My dwarves continue working while tired/thirsty/etc, but they eventually quit and go take care of it. Are they drinking booze or water?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 06:54:22 pm »

Are they drinking booze or water?

Neither, that's the problem. Though I do have a stockpile of booze. Only problem I can think of would be that all barrels were occupied by other drinkers.

Edit: just had another dwarf die of thirst. He was completely melancholic after losing his friends in the aforementioned accident...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 07:00:35 pm by Virex »

NTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 07:25:43 pm »

The best way I've found to combat this is just to keep your orders small. Only mine out small sections of cavern or order a few hallways smoothed. My hungry/thirsty/tired dwarfs seems to go and rest themselves in between different sections of work.

tweinst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 09:26:33 pm »

You could probably do it by having a "holiday" alert that restricts everyone to the dining hall and booze/food stockpiles.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:54:12 pm »

Odd, in mine they work to a crit like state then go running for whatever they need.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »

Mine also stop working when they've been hungry/thirsty for a while... the only time when someone got really close to dehydration was when a military dwarf beat a mountain goat with his training axe and got a bit carried away. The beast just wouldn't die and the axedwarf wouldn't stop until I explicitly ordered him to do so.
The boozepile was always pretty close to the working areas, if that matters. Maybe dwarves decide to work for longer, if the booze is far away or something... if there was such thing as dwarven logic, I wouldn't understand it anyway...
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

GoogleFrog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:36:23 am »

Suicide? Mine just pass out. Maybe they would drink if you created small booze stockpiles everywhere.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 08:39:13 am »

You could probably do it by having a "holiday" alert that restricts everyone to the dining hall and booze/food stockpiles.
Good idea actually. Shabbat for Armok!

Tripsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:44 am »

Edit: just had another dwarf die of thirst. He was completely melancholic after losing his friends in the aforementioned accident...

Strange, i thought that would encourage them to drink alcohol.