Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39863 times)

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #345 on: May 27, 2010, 07:15:01 am »

Someone ever found a Forgotten Beast underground in Adventure Mode?
I'm beginning to suspect that is impossible.

I'm quite sure some people have found forgotten beasts in adventure mode. I remember reading a thread about it a wihle back, but can't remember the name.

Also, i found an underground area with magma here and there but no "you have discovered a magma pool" or magma sea. What could this possibly mean? Am i finally getting closer to the circus grounds?

PEE.ESS: I'd like to thank mythos for the save, i got a good look around the circus grounds, grabbed the pimp cane and made my way down through heaven. A white wraith eventually kicked me so hard both lungs and arms were instantly broken. It's cool though, i managed to get revenge by throwing water at it, severing its upper body in the process.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 08:01:45 am by Peasant »

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: May 27, 2010, 07:30:01 am »

Hmm, I'd like to know too. Or are they the type that needs to be dug out?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

Überzwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: May 29, 2010, 09:24:24 am »

My Human Axeman somehow survived that lurking horrors from deep beneath the earth's surface, and he finally returned to the daylight, but now he seems to be doomed:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The story of my underground exploration:
First I entered the underground by a monster cave in the south-west of the map. I was wandering around for a very long time through empty caves, unable to find a way down. Then I found another way up and decided to leave this boring place.

I traveled to a nearby town and made a plan. I retired from adventuring and recruited seven dwarven miners. This little creatures were happily digging a long downstairs to the deepest deep, in praise for adamantium. After they hit a level with large lava pits I decided its time to go back to adventuring. The dwarves pierced two cave layers on their way down. I traveled to their site in the north-east, and was going down to the second cave layer.

After a very short travel to the south-west, swimming half the way, I found a structure and was meeting for the first time some creatures underground, undead fodder for my steel axe, at last.
I unsealed the gate inside and had a lot of fun... I also explored that lava level and found another construction and explored it, but there were only 5 monsters inside (in the first construction were about 200 creatures). And the way up was sealed from above. That moment I realized that I was begin to rot and decided to flee from this nasty place. I managed to get back under the place where the dwarves had build that stairway and traveled away.

That's the story.
I 'm wondering a little bit, why in my game the upper caver layers are so empty. Some towns are lagging like hell caused by underground activity.

So, I hope my text didn't led your eyes rot away, I tried my best, but I'm no native English speaker.

Hummingbird

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: May 31, 2010, 06:53:15 pm »

So I've been wandering the Underworld for several RL hours, but I'm not having any luck finding a passage to the next cavern layer. How often are they supposed to show up? Do you have any tips about specific kinds of locations where they could be found?

Also, how close do you have to get to a passage for the "you've discovered a passage" message to show up?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 07:02:17 pm by Hummingbird »
But Elves aren't Vegetarians. They eat people.
So they are humanitarians.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: May 31, 2010, 11:28:38 pm »

I've been messing around in a couple fortresses in adventure mode (this was also noted while in fortress mode) and have found that, I believe at least, certain features, such as a magma pipe in one location and a deep pit in another, can have a separate caverns from any of the three layers. The two examples have nothing but tower caps and shrubs growing in them, no fungiwood, despite one being distinctly beneath the first layer (the deep pit I hopped into went straight to the second, 3 levels down, which is rather short for what I've seen between the layers in fort mode)

I can (to an extent) confirm this because I know for a fact I generated this world with 100% openness and passages, which is dutifully obeyed in the 2nd cavern layer, while in this 'weirderground' (I call it, it's mine >.>) layer it appears to have been following the default 0-100 openness and passages, which was odd from the start.

It extends throughout the region I think, I didn't find an end to it before turning back from lack of monsters to murder and discovering the pit. oh yeah, nothing lives in here but bats so far in adventure mode. In fortress mode I was plagued by trolls and trogs in the pit one and Olm men in the other (which I've been using as my companions except that that site is so laggy I don't ever want to go back, even though it only has a very tiny excavated area.)

I'm not gonna go through the whole thread to see if anyone's noticed anything like this before, but have you? I certainly haven't seen it before, but I guess it really could be the first cavern layer, mutated horribly so that fungiwood doesn't grow there and most creatures won't show up.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2010, 08:08:39 pm »

For those who are trapped underground and desperately seeking a way out, here is a simple method:

1.  Pick the closest civilization site or cave.  This should be the first item in the "compass" to the left.
2.  Follow the compass directions so that you get closer to said site.  It's OK if you are far underground.
3.  As you get closer and closer, the direction letter should change from gray, to dark green, to light green.  After this, it will disappear, and be replaced by a row of dashes like so: ------.
4.  This means you have arrived "at" (more technically, under) your destination.  Once you have done so, you can use the "T" command to [T]ravel away from the underground (which will deposit you on the surface).  Note that if you are not *directly* underneath said site, you will get the "You cannot travel because you are journeying underground" message, even if you are in a map tile with a civilization site or cave.  (Not knowing this caused me a lot of grief, with people reporting that they could [T]ravel out of the underground while I kept getting the "You cannot travel because you are journeying underground" message).

So long as the closest site is listed as a row of dashes (-----), you should be able to escape.  This is very useful if you ever wish to see the surface again, as the original entrance you used gets lost quite quickly (particularly if you have gone down more than one cavern level through a "downward passage", which are just as easily misplaced due to wandering in circles). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2010, 11:42:56 pm »

An important tip is to always bring a buddy, it helps if you pass out.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: June 02, 2010, 12:44:31 am »

What doesn't necessarily work, I've found, is attempting to perform both of the above simultaneously on a world modified to be [anything < 25]-100 water. You usually won't (never will) be able to reach a site other than the one you dropped down in without crossing water, which your companions are too stupid to try and cross, even batmen, which can fly. They won't appear with you when you travel to the surface either, like they give up on you and go home.

(if you haven't figured out, I REALLY love parenthesis, not sure how to break the habit.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: June 05, 2010, 08:04:51 pm »

Any tips on finding animal men tribes?

Kobold Troubadour

• Bay Watcher
  • [MUSICALITY: +-]
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: June 06, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

Any tips on finding animal men tribes?
Follow the screams?

Seriously though, never found them myself...How deep do they go usually to make their "homes"?
[UTTERANCES] kinda' makes it hard for people to understand kobold songs...

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: June 10, 2010, 05:39:19 am »

I've seen reptilemen on the first layer, but that's all. Curiously, despite everything else being zombified, the reptilemen weren't.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: June 10, 2010, 06:03:37 am »

Oh I've seen olmmen (actually a tribe of 5 olmwoman) on the first layer. Got some food from them and that spearolmie was kind enough to follow me.

But that was just one occasion from maaany.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Haus Party

• Bay Watcher
  • Haus cancels Write paper: Taken by Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: June 11, 2010, 12:30:34 am »

How do you handle the drowsiness? It seems like no amount of sleep down in the underworld will deal with it. Is this just a peculiarity of Adventure Mode? Do I need to find a bed for more restful sleep? Or perhaps am I just not sleeping enough?

Also, I've been at it on and off all day throughout the day, found many clusters of adamantine and yet I still haven't found a demon fortress. I'm seeing bloodthorn and nether-cap, so I'm fairly certain I'm on level 3, but I just can't find the curious structure. I've traveled about 5 map tiles.

Edit: And some serious modifications are needed on the first post. Firstly, flesh balls are just generally damage resistant. With Master Swordsman and Novice Hammerman, using *bronze two-handed sword* and *bronze maul*, I could have smacked forever at one with the maul. No progress there at all. With the sword, it bled to death after one shot. So blades are still effective.

Second, while one rarely has a lot of range to work with for a crossbow, it's great to have one with a bunch of bolts sitting in your backpack. I've been pulling it out for floaters, blobs, and other untouchables.

Edit Edit: I give. Used that nifty method for traveling from underground and went to the nearest dark tower to retire my goblin swordsman. Time to dig down deep in Fortress mode. I'll be back!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 01:22:30 pm by Haus Party »

granzteel

• Bay Watcher
  • Humans think better than.. err, maybe dwarves do.
    • View Profile
    • Granzland!
« Reply #358 on: June 11, 2010, 07:15:39 pm »

I saw kobolds near the surface. I had a kobold swordsman with me. And we're still going.. downward..

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: June 15, 2010, 10:17:19 pm »

Is there a list of diseases and what they do?
I think I got the leopracy disease because I am just traveling and my leg falls off. No joke, my Left Leg just comes off. So I picked it up and it is now my backup throwing weapon(I have 37 Throwing Spears).
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26