Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39906 times)

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2010, 06:52:46 am »

Found some more Pond Grabbers.

"A small creature that lives in watery ditches deep underground. It has a sharp beak and four tentacles with claws at the end."

They have nearly no blood. One artery severed and they almost always bled to death immediately. They don't move or fight either, but if your weapon gets lodged in they'll take it out. And let you have it back.
These are absolute terrors when skeletal. Because there's nothing to hit except the beak. Of course, they suck at hitting, but sitll.

Also, breaking news. Curious structures exist not only under mountain tiles.
I just found one about three worldmap tiles off the coast.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2010, 07:21:56 am »

"22? Granite, 55.

Well, diary, this is it. After fighting numerous pond grabbers, troglodytes. From this cliff on which I'm standing, I can see only darkness below and hear the rushing water.

I've spent here two dwarven days, ate a lot of food I had and all that water and blood.

I estimated (thanks to the grand dwarven method of 'toss a rock and listen for a thud') that this cliff is at least twenty levels tall. That's at least six more than I can venture in previous caverns.

Cya diary, because I don't know if I will write anything in you.

-Zuglar."

So yeah, I'm readying myself to jump from a underground cliff into water, because if you hit water and you're a swimmer, you get hit as much as you would fall from 1 z-level tall ledge (I already fell from 6 levels and not even a scratch on my body).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 07:28:30 am by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Kallemort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2010, 07:38:53 am »

I drowned while swimming underground, two tiles away from air.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2010, 09:20:56 am »

I am now in hell. Interesting experience.
There are demons down here like ankylosaurs made of ash that like charging a lot.
Gonna see if I can lure one into the pits. ;D

Damn, didn't work. Looks like the demons can fly in the air over the pits or something. ???

*edit* HOLY- I just beat SIX demons at the same time. Didn't get hit once, though I did get knocked on my ass by a giant hairy tortoise.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 09:26:48 am by NinjaE8825 »

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 08, 2010, 12:18:22 pm »

I am now in hell. Interesting experience.
There are demons down here like ankylosaurs made of ash that like charging a lot.
Gonna see if I can lure one into the pits. ;D

Damn, didn't work. Looks like the demons can fly in the air over the pits or something. ???

*edit* HOLY- I just beat SIX demons at the same time. Didn't get hit once, though I did get knocked on my ass by a giant hairy tortoise.

I have killed around 20 or so, I cant seem to kill
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
though which is really annoying...
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 08, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »

Caves are now seen as little hills. You've gotta look all over the hill for an entrance. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll understand it after a few attempts to get into caves.

My first mission was to kill a dragon. I see a hill, search, enter and descend the ramps to kill the dragon One (yeah he was named One but I don't remember his last name) in five turns with an axe. I go back up for another cave-quest. Some human settlement sends me to kill some giants in a cave in the north. WAY NORTH! ICE EVERYWHERE! I only get 3x3 vision - I guess from the cold* - so I stumble around the hill because I can't see. I must have been over EVERY corner of that hill before I finally found the entrance to this new underground...

Arctic underground! Here I come!

*I travelled back and forth for about ten times and every time my vision was only that small square of 3x3. Don't really know why...
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 08, 2010, 04:34:18 pm »

Caves are now seen as little hills. You've gotta look all over the hill for an entrance. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll understand it after a few attempts to get into caves.

My first mission was to kill a dragon. I see a hill, search, enter and descend the ramps to kill the dragon One (yeah he was named One but I don't remember his last name) in five turns with an axe. I go back up for another cave-quest. Some human settlement sends me to kill some giants in a cave in the north. WAY NORTH! ICE EVERYWHERE! I only get 3x3 vision - I guess from the cold* - so I stumble around the hill because I can't see. I must have been over EVERY corner of that hill before I finally found the entrance to this new underground...

*I travelled back and forth for about ten times and every time my vision was only that small square of 3x3. Don't really know why...

At least you shouldn't melt.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2010, 04:52:44 pm »

After seeing this thread, I decided to venture underground.
Entering the first cave level from an abandoned fort, over the next few days I found passages downward to get to the third.
After wandering for a few days, I became bored and returned.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
It was the most fun I've ever had in adventure mode.
Also, is anyone else experiencing a massive fps drop in the curious structure?  It may be due to the large amount of fun stuff, as I also experienced a drop when the abandoned fort fought them.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2010, 04:59:41 pm »

If freezing was like in the old version, Your eyes might have ben frostbitten and damaged so you get 3X3 vision, that or its nighttime. It could even be thick Fog?

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 08, 2010, 05:03:39 pm »

It says I have found a underground cavern SO im on to layer two I guess but I cant find the way down? My char might die of old age by the time he gets to the HFS. I need help.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 08, 2010, 05:18:47 pm »

For the vision issue, it depends.  If you were on the worldmap and could only see a 3x3 square while traveling over the glacier, that's because of the near-perpetual fog/blizzard that covers all glacier territory.  If you were on the area map and wandering around, then it's possible your eyes had frozen, although you probably should have received some sort of hint about that...

I can't remember anything about fog on the area map, but I suppose it's possible.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2010, 03:10:58 am »

Pond Grabber entry still needs updating.

And Toybasher, please catalogue and Look at the Description of every new monster you find. Also, tell me what kinds of creatures you meet in general. I want to see if climate affects underground creature generation.
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2010, 07:48:35 am »

I'm pretty sure the kind of creatures you meet depend only on the depth.
I can vouch, though, that creatures under a sinister mountain are undead.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 09, 2010, 11:25:00 am »

Kayy, Sorry for not posting earlier and updating stuff, I was out watching Clash of the Titans and spending time with my girlfriend. >_>

I'll update the pond grabber entry.

I agree with Kagus. The glacier environment is generally always snowing/blizzarding, sooo It would be difficult to see in it. Just like in 40d.

Haspen, Nice little tale. o: And I think it's awesome that you can jump into water without injury. I wanna try this.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 09, 2010, 11:33:31 am »

Erm, actually, that large jump from the underground cliff didn't ended well.

YES, I survived that, but with broken three fingers, bruised right lung, broken nose, broken left leg, and broken right arm. After some sleep, which I thought would recover my health, infection kicked in.

And you know how it ended ;P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 26