Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39894 times)

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

Ok, so my hundred-level curious structure continued down a couple of levels past the pit level and then just ended at a level with no further down stairs... there were 3 gaps in the structure wall at the pit level but the structure was entirely surrounded by an impassable chasm. Immensely fun dungeon crawl though.

I do have a stairway to get down to the pit level dug out in fortress mode to get back down easily. Of course when I say easily, I mean it took 2 dwarf excavation teams and another adventurer who retired with a hundred demon kills to her name, 80 of them in one long drawn out epic battle on the stairs...

If there is anything below the pit level, I haven't found it yet.

Randall Octagonapus

• Bay Watcher
  • We gota get some medicine for the computer machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: April 05, 2010, 04:10:49 pm »

I really recomend the dodging skill
i always start with proficient dodging and like almost 40% of attacks miss you
would you like a slice of one humped camel cheese or two humped camel cheese on that elf burger?

Mnijykmirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2010, 04:40:08 pm »

I couldn't find a way down, but I did find a way back up- and over.  Over 13 world tiles to be exact, from one cave opening to another.  Gathered 174 kills in the underground. 

I've got a couple of damage toes on my left foot.  They're infected, and I can't get them to heal.  I really wish I had some way to deal with it.  I really don't want a couple of infected toes to be the Achilles heel of this superdwarf.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2010, 05:06:52 pm »

So far with Seti Savepowers, He's gone down through the underground, to the eerie pits, and then back up, due to the fact that Dwarves build on all underground Z-levels, regardless if there's a path down there or not. So, Savepowers escaped from hell, and now slayed two dragons, 50 elves, and a bunch of the elves dwarven hippy friends. >.> Mostly going about trying to advance the world to the Age of legends now, either that, or something... =/

I may take him down into the underground again, no idea yet.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Lucied

• Bay Watcher
  • ~At the End of Time~
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 05, 2010, 07:16:22 pm »

Well my dwarf Dakost Idor, he's been down in the underground for a long time. His only injury is his left cheek which is torn open by a giant toad at the beginning. It's been a long time and it hasn't been infected which is good.  I've found a Curious structure as well, went far down it. I encountered a Flame Banshee and I just fled, not wishing to fight it without a ranged weapon.

He's killed 3 hundred fifty-two creatures, sadly none of them are notable. He's starting to run out of food so hopefully he can find a tribe to steal their food.  I have Jabberer blood with me just in case if I ever run out of mud water to drink, which has happened once. I'm just hoping I can find a curious structure like Kamudo to get to the surface.

I have several leathers and a two-handed adamantine sword I can sell... Not to mention I wanna go on a genocide mission =D

zourath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 06, 2010, 12:53:25 am »

I recommend looking for an ettin's cave before delving. They tend to steal lots of food and booze from surrounding towns, instead of crafts. If you find a puddle of booze, take it before it dries up. the puddles of booze behave sort of like blood, being effectively infinite. You can throw booze at your feet creating a new piddle and gather up more to resupply.

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 06, 2010, 05:06:03 am »

BREAKING NEWS!

Keep bleeding to death from minor cuts? Well no longer!

Credit goes to LukeRM as the discoverer of this feature. So, shall we add a new recommended item on the first page?
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 06, 2010, 08:43:33 am »

Man, just got back up from my first venture into the depths - pretty intense stuff.
I never got below the second layer, though, because a giant toad got in a lucky hit on my toe, cracking the nail and eventually having it become infected. After that, I figured it would be wiser to head towards the nearest town. I DID run into some seriously freaky stuff, like skeletal pond grabbers that seemed to move around and attack just fine without their tentacles (fortunately, I was faster than them on land, because I couldn't kill them with either my axe or two-handed sword). Ended up with another fourty kills or so from the trek.
Also you might want to amend the section about now using elves, up in the first post - elves can wear the same size clothing as goblins, now, so you can just raid a dark tower and end up with some proper gear.

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 06, 2010, 09:36:19 am »

Dwarf gear fits on elves too. I'm not sure whether this should be classified as a bug or a feature, from a realism perspective you should be able to pay someone to make armour of the right size anyway. Also, it's fun to raid goblins for basic gear which will let you take on dwarves to get steel.

However, what definitely looks like a bug is being able to equip 4 mail shirts and 4 cloaks at the same time. Also a helm, 2 metal caps and 2 leather hoods.

On an unrelated note, wrestling seems to improve based on the skill/strength of your opponent, no matter who initiated the wrestling maneuver (megabeasts give thousands of XP each time) This also trains the Fighter skill.

Also, watch out for enemy fireballs: they will set your food on fire but you won't notice until you try to eat it and get a message that it's "too hot"

Cerion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 06, 2010, 10:10:26 am »

Demon fighting hints:

Avoid getting surrounded at all costs, being charged by multiple opponents is deadly as you will lose your combat turns from dodging and/or get knocked down making it easy for them to hit you with brutal melee attacks

If it bleeds, a few good shots with a big slashing weapon will usually weaken it to the point of being no threat

If it doesn't bleed, you can usually chop its head off eventually, but these are much more dangerous as they retain full strength despite losing limbs, don't let them corner you. You can headshot them with ranged weapons and I've seen a human crossbowman do it, but it's somewhat impractical down there.

If it doesn't bleed and doesn't have a head... your options are generally limited to charging it into a pit, letting it charge past you into a pit (dangerous to say the least) or running past

If there are stairs nearby, fighting from 1 z-level up and 1 space removed horizontally avoids dangerous charges and special attacks, however it can be somewhat buggy and occasionally you can attack and be attacked by creatures several levels below. If a creature several levels below manages to successfully Throw you it's generally instant death.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 06, 2010, 10:41:34 am »

Dwarf gear fits on elves too. I'm not sure whether this should be classified as a bug or a feature,

Darn, looks like a bug - I just checked the RAWs and it seems elves, goblins and dwarves are now the exact same size. Oh well, time to go make some adamantine armor for my elf adventurer :3

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 06, 2010, 12:15:16 pm »

Alright, thanks for bringing some points to my attention, I'll go and edit the first post shortly.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Kelbin

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:terrifyingly blocky features]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: April 06, 2010, 12:41:58 pm »

That music was great.

but try downloading slaves to armok the first one, and click editors.

That music is EPIC.
Coalition soldier cancels attack dummy brain: interrupted by Rocklet. x6
Rocklet has scuttled!
Crab has been crushed! x106
Coalition soldier has been crushed! x6
Crab has been crushed! x43

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: April 06, 2010, 01:33:59 pm »

ive only been on one underground adventure and it was via an abandoned fortress. Got down two layers and then came back up. Only 40 odd kills 3 notable. Was interesting to see a pile of dead gremlins on some of my forts old traps.

I havent been able to find any caves. They used to show up as gray dots on the travel map in 40d but they dont seem to in this version. How do you find caves?  When u press Q u can select entrance to underground from alist an it shows u the location on the map but when i get there theres nothing to be seen
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: April 06, 2010, 03:34:46 pm »

Caves are now seen as little hills. You've gotta look all over the hill for an entrance. It takes a bit of getting used to, but you'll understand it after a few attempts to get into caves.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 26