Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39943 times)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2010, 12:45:29 am »

Well, go ahead and use whatever is on the first page. I'm continually updating it, as I'm playing Savepowers, slaying stuff underground, and taking notes.

There's quite a few monster entries on the first page now.

I'm about to provide some information too, since this guy is pretty much ready to go underground. Just getting a bit more food and then finding a cave.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2010, 12:48:28 am »

Alright.

I really want some entries on some of the weirder monsters, like the Bloodmen, Creeping eyes, and flesh balls. I've encountered them, but failed to get a description at the time.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2010, 12:51:44 am »

Actually, I'm afraid I'm going to have to start my expedition tomorrow, seeing as it's currently 1:51 AM. Hopefully when I do start I'll bump into the rarer kinds of monsters.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2010, 12:53:24 am »

Alright.

I've actually discovered why the worlds temperature is mostly warm. It's probably due to the fact that a large magma sea now covers most of the world, except where mysterious constructions, and spoilers below it exist.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:18 am »

This. Thread. Is. EPIC!

Tomorrow, the underground shall be MINE! And then I shall start a fortress to colonize hell...
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2010, 01:13:26 am »

Thank you Urist. ^^

If there's anything you can suggest to up the epicness, please, don't be shy with suggestions.

Also, be warned, Hell is a lot worse than it used to be.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2010, 01:16:18 am »

Gimme time, I'll find something. Pretty puch the only reason my first post was less than productive was because it's 11 at night and I'm posting from my phone.
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2010, 01:20:40 am »

My plan for my first DF 2010 fortress is a fort where I successively have everyone relocate a layer down, abandoning the fortress on the level above. Then I open the bad place. Then I visit as an adventurer.

I'm thinking it'll be one heck of a community fort.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2010, 01:22:51 am »

Ohh, I see.

Well, I'm glad I've provided you entertainment via your cellphone. O_o

Frog: That sounds like it'd be pretty epic. =D

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2010, 01:53:56 am »

I'm thinking I'll also (with input from the community) be giving each level of the fortress a different "feel." Like, the topmost level might be very spartan and "survival-only," the next might be lots of wide-open spaces, everything smoothed and lots of decoration, the next optimized for military defense, etc. I'd get input from the community on each level. It'll rock. Especially in adventure mode, crawling through the history of several different fortresses built under each other ^_^
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2010, 02:21:59 am »

That's a fort I'd want to get in on. O_o

Though, I'm trying to avoid fortress mode, as it moves like 200% slower than in 40d.

wrytalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2010, 02:25:38 am »

I'm thinking I'll also (with input from the community) be giving each level of the fortress a different "feel." Like, the topmost level might be very spartan and "survival-only," the next might be lots of wide-open spaces, everything smoothed and lots of decoration, the next optimized for military defense, etc. I'd get input from the community on each level. It'll rock. Especially in adventure mode, crawling through the history of several different fortresses built under each other ^_^

How do you intend to do that? All four forts I've run so far have struggled to subsist on gathered plants and vermin. Granted, I'm having trouble getting my hunters to kill things.

Related to the topic, I'm going to lead a full party of humans and dwarves into the underworld. Or maybe just humans. I wonder if they'll all survive. Do party members need to eat now? Can you heal them?

Edit: Rather, can you diagnose/suture/whatever them?

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2010, 02:44:19 am »

I'm not sure if they need to eat, I don't think they do.

As for medical supplies, I haven't gotten any supplies, so I'm not sure if they work at all for adventurers.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2010, 02:47:18 am »

How do you intend to do that? All four forts I've run so far have struggled to subsist on gathered plants and vermin. Granted, I'm having trouble getting my hunters to kill things.

Related to the topic, I'm going to lead a full party of humans and dwarves into the underworld. Or maybe just humans. I wonder if they'll all survive. Do party members need to eat now? Can you heal them?

Edit: Rather, can you diagnose/suture/whatever them?

I hear irrigation is the key to farming. Potash probably helps too.

However, since I think allies won't swim, your party might not get very far. There's a lot of rivers and such to swim, and you may not be able to avoid getting into a situation where you have to swim to continue.

Lostsoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2010, 03:04:46 am »

I just find my first underground exploration. I was hunting hydra in cave and got that message that i found underground exploration. Damn it is huge.  :o Too bad empty too.   :(
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26