Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39902 times)

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration!
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2010, 04:26:58 pm »

Finally found the entrance- I had to run past a bronze colossus. The way back is shut.

My Kills include: A giant cave crocodile, a giant cave spider and a giant toad. Axes are amazing in this version..

To the underground again; I want to axe those cave dwellers some questions!

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2010, 04:32:40 pm »

Finally found the entrance- I had to run past a bronze colossus. The way back is shut.

My Kills include: A giant cave crocodile, a giant cave spider and a giant toad. Axes are amazing in this version..

To the underground again; I want to axe those cave dwellers some questions!

This run has been fairly tame for me, strangely. I've killed a grand total of one troglodyte.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Then everything near it exploded in a cloud of blood.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2010, 04:36:01 pm »

I see. I suppose its off to Dwarf mode for a bit to work on a mini steel industry. Maybe stash some booze and food there for my adventurer as well. =D

I still have no idea if medical supplies are useful to adventurers or not yet. =/

Maybe I should update the first post with tips, tricks, and other stuff, since this seems to be the 'go-to' thread for Underground exploration via Adventure mode? >_>

I really wish we could have torches or something, to help expand our line of site underground.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2010, 04:38:05 pm »

Update: One hitted a troll and massacred five trogs and a giant bat. No wound so far, but also no way down.

Behold the darkness is a very fitting song! I think i will take some screens of notable fights.

(If you want to post tipps; Tell how amazing axes are.)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2010, 04:43:22 pm »

One tip that I can't recommend enough: don't just charge through madly going wherever you want. Do it systematically, making sure you've searched the entire level before you go up or down a z-level (preferably down). Otherwise you're likely to end up missing a passage going down a layer. Only do that if you've bothered to bring a TON of food though, because it'll take significantly longer than just depending on luck.
So, I tediously awaited the arrival of the dwarven caravan (I'm set up on a island, see)... And, they came. My fingers tingled, my nose twitched and my toes tickled... they came around the corner, over my bridge... Into my courtyard... Onto my trade depot...

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2010, 04:51:47 pm »

What's so great about Axes? O_o

And yeah, I love that song. *-*

Gimme a few, I'm gonna read through the posts and take out what people say and stuff. And I could put together a little Bestiary or something, logging all of the monsters and their weaknesses. o: Or... Something like that.

No idea.

What would you guys like to see?

Edit: Thanks Mythos. o: I'll add that when I start editing the first post. ^-^

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2010, 04:53:50 pm »

It just seems that axes do an ungodly amount of damage. When you are able to one hit giant cave spiders and stuff it`s pretty awesome.

And yeah bestiary would be quite nice- Along with a list of things you should bring, general survival tactics etc.

Oh and when exploring always stick to the right wall. To avoid getting lost. (You will get lost anyway.)

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 04, 2010, 04:56:10 pm »

A starting section should be helpful, with tips on what to bring. I recommend at least two waterskins (does muddy water carry any chance of disease? If so, bring a LOT more waterskins) and somewhere between 30-50 food. The bestiary is a good idea, putting recommendations on the danger of creatures would be nice so people know if they should just charge in or if it's a good idea to be cautious.

EDIT: And also, I recommend saving often and if you die (or realize you're doomed) just open the task manager and close DF like that so it doesn't destroy your save. It may seem a bit cheat-ish, but considering how you're likely to put a couple hours into an expedition, I think it's justified.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 04:59:01 pm by Mythos »

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 04, 2010, 04:58:58 pm »

I suppose there is now way of getting new food, besides getting it from underground civilizations?

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 04, 2010, 04:59:48 pm »

I suppose there is now way of getting new food, besides getting it from underground civilizations?

Unfortunately, no. Seems a bit ridiculous that you can't eat the things you kill... a shame letting that juicy crocodile go to waste.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:51 pm »

NO! DON'T USE WEAPONS! I just bitch slapped three human demons to death! I only contained a mangled leg! Ohh, and scimitars are strangely great for looping off limbs!
Currently, I ran into some ant civilization the second i got 'Starving'
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2010, 05:02:27 pm »

Unfortunately, no. Seems a bit ridiculous that you can't eat the things you kill... a shame letting that juicy crocodile go to waste.

Bim Libashögred(*) you are so screwed.

*Translates to "axeswamps". Quite fitting, considering my weapon of choice and the area where i`m.

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2010, 05:03:00 pm »

Oh, something else to put in the guide: if you don't give your character at least adequate swimming, they will not make it to the end unless you generated some miraculous cavern system where you'll NEVER have to cross a river.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2010, 05:08:16 pm »

Mm, thanks Mythos. You're being very helpful. I'll be sure to include a thank you section. ^^ I'm still modifying the first post. Sorry for the slowness, I'm multitasking. Girlfriend is having issues, so I'm on the phone with her.

But yeah, I'll include everything listed.

If you guys run into any creatures, read the descriptions, and post them here, yeah? That way we could add it to the bestiary. >.>

Mythos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2010, 05:12:57 pm »

Argh! Damn my lack of gills! After searching for ages for somewhere to go, I found an area in a river that goes underwater. I obviously can't go under there... hmm, if I modified the raws to make humans amphibious, would it take effect?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 26