Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26

Author Topic: Underground exploration! First Post Updated  (Read 39893 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Underground exploration! First Post Updated
« Reply #255 on: April 06, 2010, 04:04:55 pm »

ive only been on one underground adventure and it was via an abandoned fortress. Got down two layers and then came back up. Only 40 odd kills 3 notable. Was interesting to see a pile of dead gremlins on some of my forts old traps.

I havent been able to find any caves. They used to show up as gray dots on the travel map in 40d but they dont seem to in this version. How do you find caves?  When u press Q u can select entrance to underground from alist an it shows u the location on the map but when i get there theres nothing to be seen

Try talking to a warlord and getting a quest. Should direct you to a cave, which will then appear on your quest/travel map.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: April 06, 2010, 11:41:25 pm »

Ok I cant find where to go. I just got down to the second level of the caverns and found the third flooded with water. Am I going to have to swim down there and look for air pockets or something to the next area?

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: April 07, 2010, 05:09:00 am »

Man, this thread has some awesome stuff in it. When I finally found my first cave entrance, all I got out of it was 45 minutes of wandering around, getting lost, killing the odd pack of herbivores and drowning because you didn't think the leap into that river was so deep.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drowning?
« Reply #258 on: April 07, 2010, 12:38:03 pm »

Im still on the first layer ( DAMN YOU MAZES)

and theres this river I need to follow. But when I go far in it my guy begins to drown because theres no air in the tile above him Hes a skileld swimmer. Help me!

Edit: is there a way to mod it so I can breath underwater and then after im passed this annoying river I can just make him normal again?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 12:42:03 pm by Toybasher »

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: April 07, 2010, 01:00:55 pm »

Never mind I managed to go through. (I cant beleave how long my guy can hold his breath lol, I thought when drowning you can only move about 3 spaces before dying)

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: April 07, 2010, 01:57:10 pm »

He's not actually drowning, if you have a high level of swimming, it'll say that you're drowning, if there's no air pockets, but your adventurer is really just holding his breath, and the higher your swimming stat is, the longer they hold their breath for, or so I've seen. I can't confirm that yet, but it seems likely.
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: April 07, 2010, 02:21:59 pm »

I've just been doing some testing, and a goblin who was "skilled" in axe use and had a copper axe was capable of quickly slaughtering a number of flesh balls.  So much for their immortality.

Now, I'd just like to say a little something about the flesh balls...  They make excellent punching bags!

Seriously, you've got a slow-moving, passive (even if it DOES attack you, it's quite weak) blob of flesh that can be punched, wrestled, stabbed, smashed, or attacked with any other type of damage you'd like to inflict!  And since they're apparently rather muscular little brutes, you get a fair amount of experience for it.

Just be careful not to let them bleed out.  If you're practicing your wrestling then it's not an issue, but if you're smacking them about then it can eventually lead to them bleeding to death.  Just worth noting.

Kamudo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SO_FLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: April 07, 2010, 02:40:24 pm »

Oh I see.

Well, most flesh balls I've encountered, generally just have me spamming Shift + a and stabbing/ slashing the crap out of them until I finally get bored. I'm pretty sure it would rack up quite a bit of experience that way.

Thanks for sharing though. =D
Lisidadil - A story of one of my first forts.

The continual tale of survival in a harsh land of hate, Fun, betrayal, love, and maybe a random elf or two... If we're unlucky.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: April 07, 2010, 02:57:21 pm »

I cant seem to find a way to go down to the second layer.

NinjaE8825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: April 07, 2010, 03:26:47 pm »

Keep looking. I've spent almost an entire in-game day before finding one.
Speaking of which, adventure log!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: April 07, 2010, 03:39:02 pm »

I have spent 4 hours looking in real time I cant find it.

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: April 07, 2010, 03:46:10 pm »

I have spent well over 4 hours looking in real tiem and I still cant find a way to reach layer 2. I have a stomach bug right now and im rapidly loosing patience...and my lunch :-X

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 07, 2010, 04:15:46 pm »

I am trying this now.

I was training a dwarf to kill just with hands, but a bear broke both my hands, causing permanent damage, just before I could hit legendary.
Should I give up? no! I started kicking and biting enemies to dead, ripping off wolf bodies and couguar heads ( really!). Before entering the cave, I found plenty of berried and puddles of beer, so I am ready to go undergorund. I am welcomed by 4 ettins strangling a troglodyte. Afraid of them, being only a competent kicker,I run past them, only to find a giant mole. In a narrow corridor, we fought. the mole cut my head open, without harming the skull. bleeding was heavy, but my many bits and kicks to the lungs eventually took their toll. as I ran away, I could hear the mole's body falling on the ground lifeless. similarly, I fell asleep to recover.

The journey of the handless fighter has begun! ( and armorless too. I will have to avoid most fights)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: April 07, 2010, 04:51:44 pm »

JACKPOT! I have found a magma pool. Is this my ticket to layer number dos? or does it just mean im still on layer one?

Edit: I savescummed and jumped inside and I died by bleeding to death? Didnt magma burninate you to a puddle?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:02:20 pm by Toybasher »

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: April 07, 2010, 08:22:37 pm »

JACKPOT! I have found a magma pool. Is this my ticket to layer number dos? or does it just mean im still on layer one?

Edit: I savescummed and jumped inside and I died by bleeding to death? Didnt magma burninate you to a puddle?

It probably burnt off all of your skin so you bled out.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 26